Windows 10: Backup Add a drive

Discus and support Backup Add a drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Jan. 3rd 2016 I have a 931 GB external HDD using a brick power supply and connected by USB. I wish to do weekly backups to it via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gulp, Jan 2, 2016.

1. gulp Win User

Backup Add a drive

Jan. 3rd 2016 I have a 931 GB external HDD using a brick power supply and connected by USB.
    I wish to do weekly backups to it via Start/Settings/Update & Security/Backup.
    How can I use it please?

It is not listed when I click Add a drive, although I can see and read it in This PC.
    I tried a restart but that has not helped. I do see a couple of USB sticks which are too small. Trying via Advanced settings is the same.

Prior to trying to add this drive I scrolled down and followed the instruction which said to delete the previous drive which was also an external HDD connected by sata. I used THAT drive via Macrium and it got carried over in the W10 update from W8.1.

Thanks

:)

gulp, Jan 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 Backup - No "Add a Drive" option

Hi,

It will show if you click More options.

Backup Add a drive [​IMG]

Then click, See advanced settings.

After that Click File History , Turn on.

Then click Select drive, insert your USB, then select.

Please try these steps and see if your external drive will show.

We'll wait for your reply.

Robert Caw, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Backup - No "Add a Drive" option

You guys don't seem to be understanding the problem. I have gone to the File History settings to tun it on. But the Add a drive option is not there. So I CANNOT TURN ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOT THERE.

That article does not good as the option it mentions does not appear. My problem is that Add a drive does not appear and NOT that I need to turn on File History.

Why would the Add a Drive option not show?

TonyMcGreevy, Jan 2, 2016
  4. pewe Win User

Backup Add a drive

Can you see the drive in Disc Manager as well as 'This PC' (explorer).

If so it could be Macrium that is the problem.

Have you tried other backup solutions such as Casper for full disc cloning and DSynchronise for realtime file/folder backup?

pewe, Jan 2, 2016
  5. gulp Win User
    Thanks pewe.
    Before your reply I found what I think is the problem. It may be that the drive needs to be formatted to use File History. Why?... I don't know as I used it for non-backup tasks with W8, but that is what W10 seemed to say.
    Unless I find that is not the case I am not going to mess with formatting as the drive has a large collection of movies on it that I want to keep.
    Possibly I could partition and format the partition but once again I do not want to risk it.

When I saw that W10 could be scheduled to do hourly backups I thought that would be good on the drive in question which I would leave permanently hooked up. Then once a month I would use my faithful Macrium to my external HDD connected by sata which I keep offsite.

I WILL check your Disk Manager suggestion when I get a chance to access the computer in question again.

gulp, Jan 3, 2016
  6. gulp Win User
    I checked Disk Management and the HDD is there. The file system is NTFS whereas my couple of USB sticks, which are acceptable to
    Start/Settings/Update & Security/Backup/ Add a Drive are FAT32 so I guess that is the problem.

I cannot find where I read that the drive for backups should be an external drive and/or that it should be using USB but as my drive is USB I thought I was following instructions. If I am correct I think it would be VERY useful if, in addition to MS stating to connect an external drive by USB, the Add a Drive button was labelled "Add a drive ( FAT32-formatted)"

There must be things I don't understand.

gulp, Jan 3, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    You really do not want to format a drive as FAT32 for backups as max file size is 4GB, and max partition size (without using 3rd party software) is 32GB.

NTFS is fine, even on usb sticks, unless you want to read drive on a mac say where the newer exFAT is useful.

cereberus, Jan 3, 2016
  8. gulp Win User

Backup Add a drive

Thx Sir Eberus *Wink. I too thought of the file size limitation with FAT32 but nevertheless my W10 is only listing FAT32 drives via the Add a drive button. Maybe the MS system compresses to accommodate?

You say NTFS is fine. So how do I get my NTFS external HDD which is connected by USB into the list shown by the Add a Drive button??

I am ultra sceptical about the MS backup systems as I was caught out previously. What happened was that I was backing up like a good boy then HDD C: failed. I replaced it with an SSD as most people now do. Multi restore attempts failed. Then I found you cannot restore to another drive that is smaller than the one from which the backups originated. The system does not warn you of this beforehand.
    Perhaps I am naive to expect MS to provide such warnings. Heaps of people must have been caught out by that trick as (due to the cost) most people get SSD's which are smaller than their failed drives.
    With my new W10 I thought I would use the MS backup instead of Macrium but Macrium is looking better and better right now.

gulp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup Add a drive

1. Backup Add a drive - Similar Threads - Backup Add drive

2. Add a domain controller in the cloud as a backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a domain controller in the cloud as a backup: Hello Team,I hope you are doing well, I have a question regarding DC backup, we have implemented a veeam backup solution, and we have been asked to backup 2 DCs Primary and secondary but after googling a lot of people say that creating a backup for DCs is kind of a bad idea,...
  3. Add a domain controller in the cloud as a backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a domain controller in the cloud as a backup: Hello Team,I hope you are doing well, I have a question regarding DC backup, we have implemented a veeam backup solution, and we have been asked to backup 2 DCs Primary and secondary but after googling a lot of people say that creating a backup for DCs is kind of a bad idea,...
  4. Seagate Backup Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate Backup Drive: I have owned and use a Seagate Backup drive with my Lenovo desktop using Windows 10. I have found the Seagate difficult to use, due to the cumbersome for me so-called "dashboard" that the drive seems to require using. I have never understood why I cannot just send my files...
  5. Device and drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device and drive backup: My issue is that I want to backup my entire pc before cloning it to a new drive ssd. I found out there were two types of backupincremental and full. 1. I was wondering if I wanted to backup my hard drive on my pc.. i heard some says I should do a full backup first and then...
  6. Add Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add Drive: How do you add a drive letter ? like drive H https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-drive/cbf7f343-1caf-4f50-8dd1-e51a03fe7e23
  7. Backup drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup drives: Can one backup drive be used for multiple computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-drives/8b93a2a0-58a9-4a9a-b0a5-f57bc953eafe"
  8. Can not add files in Windows backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not add files in Windows backup: In running Windows backup for the first time I inadvertently removed Desktop by mistake. No problem, I'll add it again, but it will not add. Nor can I add any file I have that is not on the Widows default list. There does not either seem to be an option to change the backup...
  9. backup to a network drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to a network drive: How to setup automatic backups to a network drive? From my laptop running Win 10 Pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-to-a-network-drive/1d5dbd64-d939-4b84-bb3b-b80505d0406f
  10. s there backup sw that will add increm. backups to oriiginal backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    s there backup sw that will add increm. backups to oriiginal backup: Is there a software program that will add you incremental weekly backups to the original full backup instead of creating new large backup files every time it does an incremental backup? Am using EASUS todo and it keeps creating large incremental backups in addition to the...