Windows 10: Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Jerry06, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Jerry06 Win User

Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through which all the the Computer Configuration and User Configuration settings of Local Group Policy objects can be managed.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

This tutorial will show you how to backup and restore Local Group Policy settings on any Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to reset all Local Group Policy Editor settings.

Note This will not include Local Security Policy settings.

By default, local group policy settings are saved in the two hidden folders below. This is what the downloadable .vbs files below will automatically backup and restore for you.

(Computer Configuration)
    %SystemRoot%\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine

(User Configuration)
    %SystemRoot%\System32\GroupPolicy\User

(User/Group Specific GPOs Configuration)
    %SystemRoot%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Backup Local Group Policy Editor Objects from a PC
    • Option Two: To Restore Local Group Policy Editor Objects to a PC

EXAMPLE: Local Group Policy Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Local Group Policy Editor Objects in Run
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .vbs file below.
    Backup_Local_Group_Policy.vbs

Download
    2. Save the .vbs file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .vbs file, and run the .vbs file.

4. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC.

5. You will now have a Local-Group-Policy-Backup folder on your desktop that is the backup of the local group policies on this PC.

6. Move this folder to where you like for safe keeping.

Warning Do not rename this folder since it must remain the exact same name to be able to use it in OPTION TWO below to restore.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Local Group Policy Editor Objects to a PC
    1. Move or copy the Local-Group-Policy-Backup folder created from OPTION ONE above to your desktop.

2. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .vbs file below.
    Restore_Local_Group_Policy.vbs

Download
    3. Save the .vbs file to your desktop.

4. Unblock the .vbs file, and run the .vbs file.

5. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC.

6. When both Computer policy and User policy update has completed successfully, you can close the command prompt. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Jerry06, Mar 22, 2017

2. Windows 10 Settings and Local Group Policy Editor

Hello David,

It is possible that the issue you're experiencing with the settings not being retained is due to a misconfiguration with the user permissions. Some configurations on
    Windows 10 Enterprise requires specific permission in order to be modified. That being said, it would be best to post your query about a convenient way of accessing corresponding settings within the
    Local Group Policy Editor in the TechNet Group Policy forums. The IT Pro audience on
    TechNet can provide you with a better insight regarding your concern.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Devlin Sco, Mar 22, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Settings and Local Group Policy Editor

Hi Devlin Sco,

I'll post my question in the TechNet Group Policy forum.

Thanks for your reply,

David

David D 3878, Mar 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jerry, *Smile

That's correct. It's the digital signature for the .vbs file so folks won't possibly get the default "unknown publisher possible dangerous file" warning when downloading.

Brink, Mar 22, 2017
  5. BC66 Win User
    backup the group policies on one machine and restore them to the other machines? So I can be sure that the group policies are consistent across the machines? in other words all group policies have the same settings in all machines.

BC66, Nov 8, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello BC66, *Smile

Yes, that would be correct as long as the PCs are running Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education to have the Local Group Policy Editor.

Brink, Nov 8, 2017
  7. Ring Win User
    Hi Brink.

I followed your instructions for the first option and downloaded the .vbs file to my Desktop folder. The file wasn't blocked so that was a non-issue, but there was no option to run the file when I right-clicked on it - only to open it. When I did that UAC asked me if I wanted Microsoft Windows Based Script Host to make changes to my device. I clicked on Yes and all that happened was that a Local Group Policy folder was placed in my Desktop folder next to the original .vbs file. The Group Policy Folder contained three other folders - GroupPolicyUsers, Machine, and User. All 3 folders were empty and contained no backups.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you kindly.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Ring, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like the .vbs file successfully ran (opened).

The backup folder would only contain backups of policies set via the Local Group Policy Editor. Double check using the tutorial below to see if you have any set.

*Arrow See Applied Group Policies in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Local Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Local

2. Local group policies

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local group policies: Hello, I have issue with windows 10 home basic. There is no options for Administrative Templates inLocal Group Policies. Please resolve this issue...[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policies/bdbb2977-adf0-4aed-a08d-4dd5601fffac
  3. Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/Transfer Local User Group Policy?: OS: Windows 10 Pro (version 2004) I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to backup and transfer a user group-only policy without using a domain. I need to be able to setup a policy for non-administrators and use all the same setting configurations on dozens of...
  4. Backup/Transfer Local Group Policy (User)

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup/Transfer Local Group Policy (User): OS: Windows 10 Pro (version 2004) I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to backup and transfer a user group only policy without using a domain. I need to be able to setup a policy for non-administrators and use all the same setting configurations on dozens of...
  5. Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates

Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates: When I check local group policy editor, there are user and computer configurations. There are also software settings, windows settings, and administrative templates. My questions : What are the difference between windows settings and administrative templates ? Why...
  6. Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates: When I check local group policy editor, there are user and computer configurations. There are also software settings, windows settings, and administrative templates. My questions : What are the difference between windows settings and administrative templates ? Why...
  7. Windows 10 - Local Group Policy (PowerShell)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 - Local Group Policy (PowerShell): I been looking online and I cant find much on how to automate local group policies for a stand-alone workstation. Not connected to a domain controller or active directory. I wanted to use powershell to do this. Anyone got an idea or point me in the right direction to...
  8. local group policy

local group policy: I have windows 10 home edition 1903 and I need to edited the local group policy but I can't seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policy/c696e164-1135-4b8b-b687-38f4b18d1f6f
  9. Group Policy Settings Windows 10

Group Policy Settings Windows 10: How does one reset all group plicies to default settings in windows 10. I have no executable named "gpedit". Thanks Peeps..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy-settings-windows-10/d99877a9-7349-49ec-91a5-aaf9edac8be4
  10. Backup and Restore Local Group Policies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Local Group Policies: Is there a way to backup and restore all local and group policies entered in Windows 10? Is there a way to share local and group policy settings in Windows 10? I searched for Powershell scripts that can be used to change local and group policies but could not find any...