Windows 10: Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows

Discus and support Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows How to Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows domain.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows

How to: Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows

How to Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows

domain.

You can set the permissions of a shared file or folder to allow groups or users to have a read only, change (modify), or full control access rights.

Starting with Windows 10 files by using features that are built into Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to backup and restore network shares and permissions in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to backup and restore network shares and permissions.

*Warning advanced sharing settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Backup Network Shares and Permissions in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Backup Network Shares and Permissions in Registry Editor
    • Option Three: Restore Network Shares and Permissions

EXAMPLE: Network shares and permissions

Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Backup Network Shares and Permissions in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow REG EXPORT HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares "%UserProfile%\Desktop\MyNetworkShares.reg"

3. A MyNetworkShares.reg file has now been created on your desktop as your backup. You can rename this .reg file if you like, and move it to where you want to keep it saved at.

4. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Backup Network Shares and Permissions in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares

3. Right click or press and hold on the Shares key in the left pane of Registry Editor, and click/tap on Export. (see screenshot above)

4. Navigate to where (ex: Desktop) you want to export this key to as a .reg file, type a name (ex: "MyNetworkShares") you want for the .reg file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Restore Network Shares and Permissions
    1. Double click/tap on the .reg file (ex: "MyNetworkShares.reg") exported from Option One or Option Two to merge it.

2. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

3. Restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 21, 2018

2. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows

Network Sharing permission issues in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

• go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System"

• under the "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings" click the shielded "change settings" option (far right)

• on the "Computer Name" tab, press the "Change" button (bottom right)

• rename the computer to anything other than what it is now

• follow the restart prompts

• using another computer you should now be able to use windows explorer to refresh the computers on the network (under "Network" drop list) and access the newly named computer, it will ask for credentials (username and password)
      in my case that is the targets Microsoft id and password, this grants full access to anything shared on that computer

• repeat these steps on any other computer not allowing access on the network
    Keep in mind all of my sharing permissions are open with full control, and remember as an example if A is on A’s computer and he wants to gain network access to computer then he has to enter Microsoft username and password

Also I would suggest you to download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Refer to the link below for more information on how to fix network connectivity issues:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...1&v4h=winxptab1&web-networking-help=windows-8

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Please share the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Oct 27, 2019
  5. oily_17 Win User
    Home network

Did you try this

Just a stab in the dark really...

oily_17, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows

1. Backup and Restore Network Shares and Permissions in Windows - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Network

2. no permission despite of sharing permission being ON; device not shown in Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no permission despite of sharing permission being ON; device not shown in Network: 1... My 1st desktop uses Windows 10, and it has no problem sharing files with my MacBook or vice versa. My 2nd desktop uses Windows 10 Pro. Although file sharing is all on, files cannot be shared to any devices. 2... I have tried fixing this 2nd desktop for...
  3. Restoring Windows 7 backup to a mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring Windows 7 backup to a mapped network drive: [ATTACH] I recently got a new windows 10 machine and I'm trying to restore some of my backups made with the windows 7 backup utility. Everything seems to work fine until I try to choose a network drive as a restore location. At first, it just didn't even show up as a...
  4. Need help with Win10 Network Sharing Permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with Win10 Network Sharing Permissions: Hello there, I need help configuring network access to remote machine folders. Here is the scenario: my remote machine is at Site-A this machine have several network shared folders, one of which is the location of my projects working copy (let's name it "My Projects") I...
  5. How to save backup on a network shared drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to save backup on a network shared drive: Hi, I want to save my backup on a network shared drive. I'm able to do a "map network drive" and "add a network location" to this location. However when I want to select this location for my backup I get an error message. Please see attachments for the error message. Any...
  6. Permissions Problem in Network Sharing

Permissions Problem in Network Sharing: The last Windows update completely destroyed my computer so I had to do a reset and reinstall all of my programs. The last remaining problem is with network permissions/sharing. The other two computers call them 2 and 3 in the office can see my computer and have full...
  7. network sharing permissions

network sharing permissions: how to sharing drive and network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-sharing-permissions/bbbdb1da-460a-4ac0-a4b7-b4607c900698
  8. Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium): Hi folks when you create the stand alone Macrium don't forget to enable legacy SMB1 support (in the Macrium create recovery media) under advanced if your backups goes to NAS or other shared network devices that still need SMB1. [img] Cheers jimbo 128463
  9. local network sharing folders permission issues

local network sharing folders permission issues: How do I fix access issues on my local network? I tried doing a full control setting on the other family member network computer. The shared folder shows up, but I still can't get access to the contents of the folder....
  10. Backup and Restore Permissions of File, Folder, or Drive in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Permissions of File, Folder, or Drive in Windows: How to: Backup and Restore Permissions of File, Folder, or Drive in Windows How to Backup and Restore Permissions of Files, Folders, or Drives in Windows On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny access to...