Windows 10: Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows

Discus and support Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows How to Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows There are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Amadeus51, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Amadeus51 Win User

Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows

How to: Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows

How to Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows

There are several different kinds of keyboards for PCs. The most common type is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. While Windows 10 has a On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) that can be used instead of a physical keyboard to move around a PC's screen or enter text. You dont need a touchscreen to use the OSK. It displays a visual keyboard with all the standard keys, so you can use your mouse or another pointing device to select keys, or use a physical single key or group of keys to cycle through the keys on the screen.

When you turn on the OSK, a keyboard appears on the screen that can be used to move around the screen and enter text. The keyboard will remain on the screen until you close it.

With the OSK open, you can click/tap on the Options key, and then choose the options you want:
    • Use click sound - Use this option if you want to hear a sound when you press a key.
    • Show keys to make it easier to move around the screen - Use this option if you want the keys to light up as you type.
    • Turn on numeric keypad - Use this option to expand the OSK to show a numeric keypad.
    • Click on keys - Use this mode if you prefer to click or tap the on-screen keys to enter text.
    • Hover over keys - Use this mode if you use a mouse or joystick to point to a key. The characters you point to are entered automatically when you point to them for a specified time.
    • Scan through keys - Use this mode if you want the OSK to continually scan the keyboard. Scan mode highlights areas where you can type keyboard characters by pressing a keyboard shortcut, using a switch input device, or using a device that simulates a mouse click.
    • Use Text Prediction - Use this option if you want the OSK to suggest words for you as you type so you don't need to type each complete word.
    This tutorial will show you how to back up and restore the On-Screen Keyboard options set by any user account on any Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Backup On-Screen Keyboard Options of Current Account
    • Option Two: To Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options to Current Account

EXAMPLE: On-Screen Keyboard Options

Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup On-Screen Keyboard Options of Current Account
    1. Sign in to the user account you want to backup its Filter Keys settings.

2. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

3. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Osk

4. Right click on the Osk key in the left pane of Registry Editor, and click/tap on Export. (see screenshot above)

5. Navigate to where you want to export this Osk key to as a .reg file, type a file name (ex: "My_On-Screen_Keyboard_settings") you want for this .reg file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

*note This .reg file is the backup of the current account's On-Screen Keyboard options that you can restore to any user account on any Windows 7, 8, or 10 computer.

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options to Current Account
    1. Sign in to the user account you want to restore a backup of Filter Keys settings.

2. If the On-Screen Keyboard is currently open, close it before proceeding to the next step.

3. Double click/tap on the .reg file (ex: "My_On-Screen_Keyboard_settings.reg") created using Option One.

4. When prompted, click/tap on Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve merging the .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Amadeus51, Oct 29, 2016
  2. Meghana C Win User

issue with backup options Windows 10

Hi David,

I will certainly help with the issue you are facing with backup option.

To assist you better, kindly provide the information:

• How exactly are you trying to perform back up? Is it from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or File History?

• Which drive have you selected to back up? Is it an external drive or a network drive or a local drive of the system?

• When you say 'only allows me to do another backup with the same options', which options are you referring to?

• Are you unable to select a different drive for a backup from the backup destination list?
    If you are using a Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option then, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Type backup and restore in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on setup backup option.

• Click on refresh button to check if the drives are visible in the
      backup destination list.

• Choose the drive which you want to back up and click on
      next.
    If you are trying to use file history I suggest you to un-plug it and restart your computer. Re-plug the external drive and check if the file history options are available.

Please get back to us with the information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Oct 27, 2019
  3. pt1209 Win User
    Backup Restore option not listed??

We just replaced my wifes Dell Axim with the Palm Treo 750 and all went fine setting up with Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1.6965 except the Backup/Restore option is not listed for the Treo, when I connected the Dell Axim it was there and even ran it
    and all was fine, then I connected the Treo and the Backup/Restore option isn't even listed?? I thought maybe I had to end the partnership with the Dell for it to appear and did so but still there is not Backup/Restore option listed... Anyone have any idea
    why this is?? I hate to have her Treo crash and not have everything backed up, she uses it for her research and reference material as a Hospice NP.

pt1209, Oct 27, 2019
  4. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Oct 27, 2019
  5. JJXN Win User
    Never was given the option to restore from a backup on a Nokia 822

i had a similar problem. I sent my phone in for repairs and when i got it back it was reset. so i expected to just restore from the backup, however there is no option to do so. In fact, there are NO options in the settings to restore at ALL from the backup.
    you can save to the backup, but it won't let you actually use it.... derp....

The instructions say: "
    • When prompted to restore your phone, tap the backup you want to use, tap Next, and then tapNext again." in step number two, but this never happens. I was never "prompted" to restore my phone. I got it, signed into my account, and nothing happened.
      -.-

6. installing windows 10 backup and restore later

1. Backup Vista
    2. Upgrade Vista->Windows 7 -> Windows 10. Get activated.
    3. Backup Windows 10.
    4. Clean Install Windows 10. Make sure still activated
    5. Backup a fresh copy of Windows 10
    6. Restore

To perform step 4 i will need to have downloaded an iso and create a dvd or usb to boot from.....so will not this ISO be ok and the one you mention ?

reddwarf4ever, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Screen

2. Windows Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup and Restore: How reliable is Windows Backup and Restore Windows 7 for creating a system image?Also, is there a difference between System Image and Windows Backup?Thanks,James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore/e6ea8f8e-d195-4852-ba79-787e124e1f55
  3. Windows Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup and Restore: How reliable is Windows Backup and Restore Windows 7 for creating a system image?Also, is there a difference between System Image and Windows Backup?Thanks,James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore/e6ea8f8e-d195-4852-ba79-787e124e1f55
  4. Windows Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup and Restore: I've recently lost everything on my windows 10 laptop when all auto repairs and everything else failed to work. However, I was able to use the HP Recovery System to backup my files before I did a clean installation. Now, after running restore program, I see my software but...
  5. Windows Backup and Restore

Windows Backup and Restore: When I attempt to backup my PC using Windows Backup and Restore, the backup fails almost immediately. The message window states: Check your backup. A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. Details: The...
  6. Windows backup restore

Windows backup restore: Hi! I made a backup of laptop on my external hard drive before replacing the internal hard drive. Now that I've reinstalled Windows on the new drive, I want to restore the backup. Unfortunately, the Backup and Restore in the Control Panel won't recognize that I have a...
  7. Windows 10 Backup using windows 7 backup and restore option issue

Windows 10 Backup using windows 7 backup and restore option issue: I have 1 TB hard disk on my pc i decided to use windows 7 backup and restore option to backup things incase anything happens to be able to recover my data so i went to disk managment and partition my harddrive into 2 parts : Local Disk D 900GB and Recovery E 100GB went to...
  8. Windows Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows Backup and Restore: I created an image on a multiple partition hard drive and then had to do a repair install. I did the following: 1. Deleted the image. 2. Tried to create the image: a. Selected partition with no problem but would not go to next operation of selecting what to backup. 3. Deleted...
  9. Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options

Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options: New to Windows 10, wanting to set up my backup routine(s). Although I have had Windows systems in the past( 95, XP, Vista, 8.1) still not quite understanding what the various backup options provide. What I have done: Activated File History to an external hard drive. Created...
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options: Running Windows 10 - I used Backup and Restore (Windows 7) 2 days ago to create a system image and backup several user directories. Today when I try to use the same function there are no options on the page - see the attachment. I've shutdown and restarted. I have Admin...