Windows 10: Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10 This tutorial will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by questorfla, May 21, 2016.

1. Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

This tutorial will show you how to back up and restore all pinned apps on your taskbar in Windows 10.

This can be handy if you do not want to have to manually pin apps to your taskbar again say after a clean install of Windows 10.

By default, the pinned apps on your taskbar are saved in both locations below. The downloadable .bat files in this tutorial will be back up and restore these locations for you.

In the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

In the hidden TaskBar folder:
    %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

EXAMPLE: Pinned Apps on Taskbar

Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1 Do step 2 (backup) or step 3 (restore) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Back Up Pinned Apps on your Taskbar
    This downloadable .bat file will save a Taskbar-Pinned-Apps-Backup folder on your desktop as the backup.

You can move this folder to where you like for safe keeping, but do not rename this folder since it must remain the exact same name to be able to restore it in step 3 below.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Backup-Pinned_Apps_on_Taskbar.bat

Download

3. To Restore Pinned Apps on your Taskbar
    A) If you have not already, make sure that any apps that were pinned to your taskbar when the backup was created in step 2 above are still installed or saved at the same location first.
    Since the pinned apps on your taskbar are just shortcuts, they must still be installed or saved at the same location when the backup was created before restoring the backup, or the pinned app will not work when restored.

B) Copy or move the Taskbar-Pinned-Apps-Backup folder from step 2 above to your desktop.

C) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Restore-Pinned_Apps_to_Taskbar.bat

Download
    4 Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run it.

5 If prompted, click/tap on Run.

If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by [/I]unblocking the downloaded .bat file

6 You will now notice your screen flicker as explorer is restarted.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

questorfla, May 21, 2016

2. how to unpin from taskbar

Hi,

More information on unpinning from taskbar.

How to 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar" Apps in Windows 10

'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10

How to Reset and Clear All Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

Reset and Clear Taskbar Pinned Apps in Windows 10

See the "Related Tutorials" at the end section both of those for more.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, May 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 taskbar

Hi

I followed
    this link
    until I had done (7) "Perform an in-place upgrade"

Now my taskbar is empty, all the pinned stuff is cleared.

Where is the taskbar stuff stored in Windows 10, and is the a way I can restore the taskbar (I have a total backup of my PC) ?

Best regards

Eigil

Eigil Krogh, May 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

Hello questorfla, *Smile

As long as the software was also installed using the same path (ex: C:\Program Files), it'll work.

Brink, May 21, 2016
  5. THANKS! One more piece to add to the "loader pack" Installing Office does not add the icons and everybody has to have them on task-bar. They are all installed in the same folders. I had looked everywhere for way to get all those added automatically before I saw your tip. *Smile

questorfla, May 22, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, May 22, 2016
  7. criebrie2 Win User
    Hi Brink,

Great piece of info! I was wondering if you could help me out. I have the restore script set to run on login. It doesn't seem to work properly.

The script doesn't get rid of Edge from the task bar, it also seems to reset my default app associations. If I run the script as the user, it seems to work properly and doesn't break anything. Do you have any tips that you can give me?

criebrie2, Jun 13, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello criebrie2, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It wouldn't be able to affect app associations though, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Do you see explorer restarting after you sign in and the ,bat file runs? If not, then that would be why it's not being applied on login.

Here's the contents of the restore .bat file.

Code: DEL /F /S /Q /A "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\*" copy /y "%userprofile%\Desktop\Taskbar-Pinned-Apps-Backup\TaskBar" "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband /F REG IMPORT "%userprofile%\Desktop\Taskbar-Pinned-Apps-Backup\Taskbar-Pinned-Apps-Backup.reg" taskkill /f /im explorer.exe start explorer.exe[/quote]

Brink, Jun 13, 2017
  9. criebrie2 Win User
    Thanks Brink!

I think I got it. It seems that when you run the bat file using GPO log in scripts, it seems to conflict with some other settings and elongates the log in time.

I ended up getting the script to run from the "shell:startup" folder under the default user profile. This seems to get the script to run with every domain user that logs in. Nothing seems to break (knock on wood).

criebrie2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Pinned

2. How to backup and restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to backup and restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This post talks about how to backup and restore taskbar toolbars in Windows 10. […] This article How to backup and restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Windows Backup & Restore app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup & Restore app: I have a new 2 month old Dell Inspiron 15-3567 laptop. I had Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) Premium app on a previous Inspiron. DBaR was not preinstalled on the new Inspiron. I am attempting to reinstall the basic DBaR but it is taking forever. Is there another backup...
  4. windows mail app backup and restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows mail app backup and restore: I was using LIve Mail 2012 and enjoying it. Now i bought a new laptop and Live Mail has been discontinued by Microsoft and forced to use Mail app. I want to restore my emails from Live Mail backup in Windows app. Is it possible? If Microsoft discontinues any product then the...
  5. windows mail app backup and restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows mail app backup and restore: I was using LIve Mail 2012 and enjoying it. Now i bought a new laptop and Live Mail has been discontinued by Microsoft and forced to use Mail app. I want to restore my emails from Live Mail backup in Windows app. Is it possible? If Microsoft discontinues any product then the...
  6. How to Backup and Restore pinned Taskbar items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Backup and Restore pinned Taskbar items in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The Taskbar is one of the most used interfaces in Windows. We all like to pin most used programs, even shortcuts with extra privileges, and automated tasks. This is much better than the Start Menu, and tiles to be very [...] This post How to Backup and Restore...
  7. Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10 The MSN News app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This app lets you see the top stories of the day and breaking news...
  8. Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Weather app Settings in Windows 10 The MSN Weather app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. The app lets you get the latest weather conditions, and...
  9. Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your admin. The app helps you be productive...
  10. Backup and Restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you...