Windows 10: Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 You can download and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your admin. The app helps you be productive no matter where you are.

If you use the Remote Desktop app in Windows 10, you can manually backup your groups to manually restore as needed to any account on any Windows 10 PC that has the app installed.

When you restore items from a backup, the following will happen:
    • Settings - Settings from the backup will replace what is currently set.
    • Connections - Connections and their specific settings from the backup will be added. Your current connections will not be replaced unless one is the same as one from the backup.
    • Credentials - Credentials (user accounts) for your connections from the backup will be added. Your current credentials will not be replaced unless one is the same as one from the backup.
    • Groups - Groups from the backup will be added. Your current groups will not be replaced.
    This tutorial will show you how to manually backup and restore all or specific items of the Microsoft Remote Desktop app in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Remote Desktop app

Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup Items from Remote Desktop app
    1. If the Remote Desktop app is currently open, close it.

2. Open File Explorer (Win+E), copy and paste the folder location below for what you want to backup into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.

*note This locations below are for the current account.
    (everything)
    %LocalAppData%\Packages

OR

(Credentials, Groups, or Settings)
    %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\RemoteDesktopData

OR

(Connections)
    %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\RemoteDesktopData\LocalWorkspace
    3. Copy the folder or file below from the location in step 2 to your desktop for what you want to backup. (see screenshots below)
    (everything)
    Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder

OR

(Credentials)
    credentials folder

OR

(Groups)
    groups folder

OR

(Settings)
    GeneralSettings.model file

OR

(Connections)
    connections folder

4. Move this file or folder to where want to keep it saved at as your backup. Do not rename this file or folder.

5. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Items to Remote Desktop app
    1. If the Remote Desktop app is currently open, close it.

2. Open File Explorer (Win+E), copy and paste the folder location below for what you want to restore into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.

*note This locations below are for the current account.
    (everything)
    %LocalAppData%\Packages

OR

(Credentials, Groups, or Settings)
    %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\RemoteDesktopData

OR

(Connections)
    %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\RemoteDesktopData\LocalWorkspace
    3. Copy and paste the backup of the folder or file below from Option One into the folder from step 2 for what you want to restore. (see screenshots below)
    (everything)
    Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder

OR

(Credentials)
    credentials folder

OR

(Groups)
    groups folder

OR

(Settings)
    GeneralSettings.model file

OR

(Connections)
    connections folder

4. When prompted, click/tap on Replace the files in the destination. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Remote Desktop

Hi,

We will surely assist you with the issue you are facing with Windows 10.
    - Which version of Windows 10 Operating System are you using?

- Were you able to upgrade to Windows 10 successfully?

I suggest you to refer the below steps and see if this helps.

• Enable remote desktop in settings
      • Control Panel\System and Security\System, Click "Remote Settings" on the left side

• Verify my port forwarding settings were properly forwarding to my computers local IP address
      • run "cmd.exe" and then type "ipconfig". Find your IP from that list
    [*]
    • Make sure your firewall settings are open
    • Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps"
    • On the left, click "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall"
    • Click "Change Settings"
    • Find "Remote Desktop" in the list and make sure both "Private" and "Public" is checked.

Let us know if this helps.

Thank you.

Credits to : Jace_Sango.

Akheel Ahmed, Oct 27, 2019
  3. remote desktop

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the below details to understand your issue in a better way:

1. Are you using the Microsoft remote desktop app?

If you are using the Microsoft remote desktop app downloaded from
    Microsoft store then, I suggest you to follow the steps to
    fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

If the issue still persists with the Microsoft remote desktop app, then you can contact the support team by going to the

link
    and scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on
    Microsoft remote desktop support under the Publisher info.

However, if you are using the Remote desktop connection, which comes pre-installed with Windows 10, then I suggest you to please post your question in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

Windows 10 - Remote Desktop Connection

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

In order to assist you further with the issue could you please confirm a couple of things:

• What is the Make and Model of your Computer?
    • Since when are you facing this issue?
    There's a Remote Desktop App available in Windows 10. Follow the steps below to find it:

• Click the Search Bar which is in the Task Bar.
    • Type in Remote Desktop App .
    • Once it pops up click on it and follow the on screen instructions to use it.

If you're facing issues with the app downloaded form the Windows Store I suggest you to run the Windows 10 App troubleshooter and check if this helps. Refer to the link below for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Oct 27, 2019
  5. REMOTE DESKTOP APP

Hi Harry,

To assist you further, please verify the following:

• What steps have you taken so fa?
    • Did you receive any error message?
    • Have you tried to uninstall and install Remote Desktop app?

Renaldo cru, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10

1. Backup and Restore Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Remote

2. Remote Desktop app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop app: I am trying to move away from Remote Desktop Connection Manager since it no longer receives updates or support. I downloaded the new Remote Desktop RD for Windows to give it a try. I have downloaded RD on macOS on a few machines and really like it. But, I noticed that on...
  3. Remote Desktop App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop App: Does Microsoft have a free remote access app? [Original Title: Apps] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-app/001b4ce3-56de-414c-849d-2268cf01dc1c
  4. Windows Backup & Restore app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup & Restore app: I have a new 2 month old Dell Inspiron 15-3567 laptop. I had Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) Premium app on a previous Inspiron. DBaR was not preinstalled on the new Inspiron. I am attempting to reinstall the basic DBaR but it is taking forever. Is there another backup...
  5. windows mail app backup and restore

windows mail app backup and restore: I was using LIve Mail 2012 and enjoying it. Now i bought a new laptop and Live Mail has been discontinued by Microsoft and forced to use Mail app. I want to restore my emails from Live Mail backup in Windows app. Is it possible? If Microsoft discontinues any product then the...
  6. windows mail app backup and restore

windows mail app backup and restore: I was using LIve Mail 2012 and enjoying it. Now i bought a new laptop and Live Mail has been discontinued by Microsoft and forced to use Mail app. I want to restore my emails from Live Mail backup in Windows app. Is it possible? If Microsoft discontinues any product then the...
  7. Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore News app Settings in Windows 10 The MSN News app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This app lets you see the top stories of the day and breaking news...
  8. Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10: How to: Remove Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 How to Remove a Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your...
  9. Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC: How to: Add Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC How to Add a Remote Desktop Connection in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your...
  10. Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to back up and restore all pinned apps on your taskbar in Windows 10. This can be handy if you do not want...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no microsoft.remotedesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder