Windows 10: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10 The Sticky... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10

The Sticky Notes app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This apps allows you to create and save notes to the desktop of your Windows 10 PC. Thanks to a new and improved design, added intelligence and Pen support, it is now easier than ever to quickly capture and add context to all your notes.

If you use the Sticky Notes app, you can manually backup your settings to manually restore as needed to any account on any Windows 10 PC.

This tutorial will show you how to manually backup and restore your settings for the Sticky Notes app in Windows 10.

*note This backup will not include your actual Sticky Notes. Only the settings instead.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Sticky Notes app settings

Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup Settings from Sticky Notes app
    1. If you currently have any Sticky Notes opened, then you will need to close (end task) all instances of Sticky Notes (Microsoft.Notes.exe) in Task Manager. (see screenshots below)

*note This will close Sticky Notes without deleting any of your Sticky Notes.

2. Open File Explorer (Win+E), copy and paste the folder location below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.
    (current account)
    *Arrow %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    3. Copy the Settings folder to your desktop. (see screenshot below)

4. Move the Settings folder on your desktop to where want to keep it saved at as your backup. It is safe to rename this folder to anything you like if wanted.

5. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

6. You can now reopen Sticky Notes if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Settings to Sticky Notes app
    1. If you currently have any Sticky Notes opened, then you will need to close (end task) all instances of Sticky Notes (Microsoft.Notes.exe) in Task Manager. (see screenshots below)

*note This will close Sticky Notes without deleting any of your Sticky Notes.

2. Open File Explorer (Win+E), copy and paste the folder location below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (current account)
    *Arrow %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Settings

3. In a separate File Explorer window, open the backed up Settings folder from Option One, select the contents in this folder, right click or press and hold on the selected items, and click/tap on Copy. (see screenshot below)

4. Paste the selected files from the backup in step 3 into the Settings folder from step 2.

5. When prompted, click/tap on Replace the files in the destination. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close the File Explorer windows if you like.

7. You can now reopen Sticky Notes if you like. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 10, 2017

2. Sticky Notes Backup / Restore

Hello,

To back up and restore notes from Sticky Notes app in Windows 10, we'll have to specify which version of Windows are you using. Here's a simple guide on how to check the build and version of your PC:

• Press the Windows button + R.
    • Type winver.

Once we're able to determine your PC's build and version, follow the steps below to locate the storage files of Sticky Notes and create a backup:

• Open File Explorer, click the View tab.
    • Select Show/hide option then check the Hidden items box.
    • To find the Sticky Notes storage folder, copy and paste the location below into your File Explorer's address bar.
      username is the name of your actual user account.
    • For build 1607 or later: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Package\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\
    From there, you can copy everything and paste it to the backup folder.

• For anything lower than build 1607: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\
    You will only see a single file: StickyNotes.snt. You can copy and paste it to the backup folder.

To restore the files to Sticky Notes, make sure the Sticky Notes app is closed. Locate the same folder we pointed you to above and copy all your backed up files there, overwriting whatever’s there currently. When you launch Sticky Notes again, the notes
    you backed up previously should pop up.

Please be reminded that notes in the desktop and Store app versions of Sticky Notes aren’t compatible. You won’t be able to copy notes from a PC running Windows 7 to a PC running Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Should there be anything else, do let us know.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Jennifer Bri, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Sticky Notes backup/restore

Hi Karl,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Do you get any error while trying to restore your notes from the backup?

I suggest to try copying the contents of the folder from the previous installation to 1809.

• On Windows 10 1709 machine, navigate to the folder:
      C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState
    • Copy the contents (all files) of the folder and save them to a new folder on Windows 1809 machine.
    • Close all open instances of Sticky notes app.
    • Navigate to the same location (C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState) on Windows 10 1809 machine, copy the contents of the new folder to this location.
    • Close Windows Explorer, launch the Sticky notes app and see if your notes are restored.

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Karel S Win User

Sticky Notes backup/restore

Hi. Has anyone been backing up and restoring Sticky Notes moder app from Windows 10 1709 to Windows 10 1809? Sticky Notes from version 2.1.18.0 to Sticky Notes version 3.1.46.0. I am unable to restore data. Copy whole Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState
    and Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Settings or even only Plum.sqlite file is not working. THX for help.

Karel S, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Xylee Del Win User
    sticky notes

Hello,

Sticky notes may have encountered a system file corruption that caused this. We suggest that you run the

Windows app troubleshooter
    for this issue. Meanwhile, we also recommend that you reset your Sticky Notes app by following the steps below:

• Click the Windows icon and click Settings.
    • Click System, and then click Apps & features on the left menu.
    • Click on Sticky Notes on the list found on your right menu, click
      Advanced options link, and click the Reset button.
    • Click the Reset button again when you see the confirmation dialog to reset Sticky Notes app.
    • Close the Settings window and check your Sticky Notes app.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Sticky Notes Backup / Restore

How do i Restore my Sticky Notes on Windows 10 Pro. I saw a Video online and showed me Location of Sticky Notes which was

C:\Users\IT-Manager\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes.

I did took backup from my previous windows. But now in new laptop.. there is no Sticky Notes Folder at same Location. I created new deleted and tested all.. Folder or same file is not created at the same defined location.

Let me Know how i restore my sticky notes file to new windows 10 pro. i have the file.

Regards

Hadeel Jeddah Company, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Sticky

2. Restore Sticky Notes from Backup on Windows 10 - 21H2 19044.1645

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Sticky Notes from Backup on Windows 10 - 21H2 19044.1645: Hi,Trying to recover from inability to type in Sticky Notes, I tried resetting it viaSettings>Apps and Features>Sticky Notes>Resetand it deleted my Sticky notes. The typing problem was resolved with system image repair utilities and I'm now trying to recover my sticky notes...
  3. Restore Sticky Note

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Sticky Note: I just updated the Sticky Note. Upon completion, I delete the shortcut on the bottom bar and the Sticky Note also disappears under Windows Start menu. Is there any way to restore it or reset it to previous version or original version? Thanks!...
  4. Restore Sticky Note

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Sticky Note: I just updated the Sticky Note. Upon completion, I delete the shortcut on the bottom bar and the Sticky Note also disappears under Windows Start menu. Is there any way to restore it or reset it to previous version or original version? Thanks!...
  5. Restore Sticky Note

6. Sticky Notes Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sticky Notes Restore: Can someone help me find my Sticky Notes folder?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes-restore/5cf1dc71-379f-403e-bdaf-7f7a0d115221
  7. Sticky notes restored

Sticky notes restored: If you have an account on sticky notes and reset the app ,the data will be saved or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes-restored/e7a0898d-8298-4bd2-9f17-fbd7149fac2f
  8. Sticky Notes backup/restore

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Sticky Notes backup/restore: Hi. Has anyone been backing up and restoring Sticky Notes moder app from Windows 10 1709 to Windows 10 1809? Sticky Notes from version 2.1.18.0 to Sticky Notes version 3.1.46.0. I am unable to restore data. Copy whole Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState...
  9. Sticky Notes Backup?

Sticky Notes Backup?: I tend to have a lot of Sticky Notes. Is there a way to back them up? Maybe to a Document file? Or, anywhere else? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/sticky-notes-backup/7cf04c4d-1fd6-4caf-8042-124e0ca81490
  10. Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 The Sticky Notes app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This apps allows you to create and save notes to the desktop of your...