Windows 10: Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options

Discus and support Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 - I used Backup and Restore (Windows 7) 2 days ago to create a system image and backup several user directories. Today when I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by SanFranRon, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options

Running Windows 10 - I used Backup and Restore (Windows 7) 2 days ago to create a system image and backup several user directories. Today when I try to use the same function there are no options on the page - see the attachment.

I've shutdown and restarted. I have Admin privileges (using the same User ID).

Any ideas?

:)

SanFranRon, Nov 11, 2016

2. Windows 7 Backup and Restore (“Backup and Restore (Windows 7)”)

Am I doing something wrong? I was finally able to get “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” to successfully complete yesterday using Windows 10 where I had been continually failing over a period of a month where I was variously able to copy only the C drive,
    or both the C and D Drives, or even all three drives (C, D, and F) on my three-partition machine, but it continually hung up before completion. Finally, I found that if (1) the Windows 10 “Settings” “Update & Security” “Back up using File History” “Automatically
    back up my files” option set to “Off” and (2) all keyboard and mouse input was entirely avoided during the entire several-hour “Backup and Restore (Windows 7),” success occurred. QUESTION: If “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” ever displayed any bit of a ‘robust’
    nature in previous versions using Windows 7, has much of it been lost in this Windows 10 reincarnation?

ScottHolzrichter, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Windows 7 Backup and Restore (“Backup and Restore (Windows 7)”)

Who are you and what have you done with ScottHolzrichter?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 11, 2016
  4. Flissa Win User

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options

Not sure why you would be using this option when you're running Win10. If you upgraded to Win10 you only get 10 days (I think) to go back to your previous OS then you cant access the restore data any more. You need to backup Win10. Macrium Reflect is easy to use and free.

Flissa, Nov 11, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    No, you misunderstand. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is fully functional in Windows 10 and has nothing to do with going back to the previous build. It is the same file backup and system imaging software as was first provided in Windows 7, hence the name. It is there so that you can restore from backups made with earlier versions of Windows, and for making system images.

Yes, Macrium Reflect is a feature-rich alternative, but Backup and Restore is the 'out of the box' Microsoft system imaging solution. As such, it should be working for the OP - apparently it isn't.

To be honest, there are better ways to back up user files than Backup & Restore. It's there for backward compatibility, but so few Windows 7 users knew how to use it properly. As a result, Microsoft introduced File History, a 'turn it on and forget about it' solution.

Where it is still of value is for making System Images. I use it myself regularly to keep a system image on a second partition, in effect my own version of a manufacturer's 'HDD recovery' partition. I've never had the blank screen in your screenshot. Something is not right, a missing or corrupt system file, perhaps.

The first thing I'd suggest is to run sfc /scannow in a 'Command Prompt (Admin)'. This can find and replace any damaged/missing system files.

You could also see if you have an earlier Restore Point you could go back to.

6. your first suggestion didn't work but the second did.
    Many thanks!!

SanFranRon, Nov 14, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    The restore point did it for you then? Good, I'm glad you're back in working order again.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options

1. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options - Similar Threads - Backup Restore displays

2. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: HiMy Windows is 11 x64 latest version, When I want use Backup and Restore Windows 7, my Drive F: is also selected by default to backup and I can not deselect it why this happed?! I want just backup my drive C: because the backup size is too large with drivce F:...
  3. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  4. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  5. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  6. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows 7 backup & restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup & restore: Why do you use Windows 7 for backup & restore? 7 seems so out of date and I'm having a problem with it reading the Flash drive in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-restore/188f750b-188d-435d-af8f-159f500286db
  8. Windows 7 backup/restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 backup/restore: I use this backup option on weekdays. Unfortunately the app does not allow skipping weekend days. Is there a way to automatically limit backups to weekdays? Thanks for any help....
  9. Windows 10 Backup using windows 7 backup and restore option issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup using windows 7 backup and restore option issue: I have 1 TB hard disk on my pc i decided to use windows 7 backup and restore option to backup things incase anything happens to be able to recover my data so i went to disk managment and partition my harddrive into 2 parts : Local Disk D 900GB and Recovery E 100GB went to...
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...