Windows 10: Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions

Discus and support Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I created 2 disk images using Backup and Restore (Windows 7) I*renamed the first images folder*using the date. But, when I boot into the repair disc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JamesJoey, May 19, 2017.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions

I created 2 disk images using Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
    I*renamed the first images folder*using the date.
    But, when I boot into the repair disc and choose select another image, I don't see the folder name.

I'm not quit sure which one I would be restoring.

Can someone please straighten me out on Backup and Restore (Windows 7).

Thanks,
    James

:)

JamesJoey, May 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Hello,

I am using Windows 10's Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature to make backups to a USB external hard drive of my files, etc
    and a system image per the settings in Backup and Restore (Windows 7).

Question, How do I a full restore, say if my system crashes completely, using
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7) on my Windows 10 computer? Is there an option to completely restore
    from
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7) from a restore disk?

Look forward to your replies to my two questions,

Thanks,

-

beatingmybrainsout, May 19, 2017
  3. Windows 7 Backup and Restore (“Backup and Restore (Windows 7)”)

Am I doing something wrong? I was finally able to get “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” to successfully complete yesterday using Windows 10 where I had been continually failing over a period of a month where I was variously able to copy only the C drive,
    or both the C and D Drives, or even all three drives (C, D, and F) on my three-partition machine, but it continually hung up before completion. Finally, I found that if (1) the Windows 10 “Settings” “Update & Security” “Back up using File History” “Automatically
    back up my files” option set to “Off” and (2) all keyboard and mouse input was entirely avoided during the entire several-hour “Backup and Restore (Windows 7),” success occurred. QUESTION: If “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” ever displayed any bit of a ‘robust’
    nature in previous versions using Windows 7, has much of it been lost in this Windows 10 reincarnation?

ScottHolzrichter, May 19, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

The restore process is looking for folder called WindowsImagebackup.

It expects to find a sub folder with your PC name.

What did you rename?

5. Bree New Member
    Most on this forum recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a more reliable imaging solution. The built-in Windows offering is often described as unreliable. I am one of the few who has persevered with Backup and Restore (Windows 7). It's not so much that it's unreliable, it's more that it's temperamental and can easily loose sight of an image that could be restored. The actual restore itself seems to be reliable - if you can find the image.

When you use Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to create a system image on another drive (preferably an external HDD) it creates a folder on the root of the drive named WindowsImageBackup. Inside this folder there's another folder with the same name as the PC being imaged. This contains various sub-folders containing catalog files and the .vhdx files that are the images of each partition of the system being backed up. Typically (for an MBR system) there will three, the boot partition, the recovery partition and the system partition (the C: drive). Renaming these individual PC folders is one of the things I've learned to avoid.

'Restore System Image' will always display the creation date of the image(s) it can see as available to restore.

Backup and Restore can be temperamental, renaming a PC's folder in the WindowsImageBackup folder can sometimes (but not always) prevent it being seen as available for restore. There are three ways to preserve multiple images of your PC.

The first is built into Backup & Restore. Provided there is sufficient free space on the drive you keep the system images, creating a second system image of the same PC will add it to the existing image. On restoring you will be offered a choice of dates that can be restored. Note that if the free space is limited the older image may be deleted when making a new image. Backup & Restore warns you of this, but give no control over this, nor does it tell you that an older image has been removed. The first you'll know of it is when you try a restore.

The other two ways involve renaming. It is safe to rename WindowsImageBackup itself. Creating a new system image will create a new WindowsImageBackup to hold the PC's system image. This way you will only ever see one image available to restore, you'll have to choose which image to restore by renaming the appropriate WindowsImageBackup folder back to its correct name before booting from the repair disk.

The way I prefer to use is to rename the PC before making its system image. The WindowsImageBackup folder will hold multiple subfolders for different PCs. Renaming a PC effectively makes it a different PC as far as Backup & Restore is concerned. I make a system image after each cumulative update, naming the PC to include the OS build number so I know which is which (and renaming the PC back to its proper name after the image has been made). This way booting from the repair disk allows a choice of multiple images to restore.

To be honest, although I have learned to live with Backup & Restore, from what I've seen others say of Macrium I'd recommend it too. It seems more robust and versatile that the MS offering.

PS: Never ever save an actual Windows 7 system image to a WindowsImageBackup folder that holds Windows 10 images. This is guaranteed to make the Windows 10 images unavailable to restore. If you really must save images for several version of Windows (as I do for System Two in 'My Computers' below) Then rename the WindowsImageBackup folders so that you have a separate one for each version of Windows. I have one for all editions of Windows 10 and a separate one just for my Windows 7 images.

6. JamesJoey Win User
    I renamed the main folder, That's why it didn't find it.

Now I understand.

Thanks,
    James

JamesJoey, May 19, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I gave up using the Windows tool as I had restores fail on me. I have never had an MR restore fail. In any case MR is quicker, and gives smaller images, and is just all round more flexible.

The real game changer to me is the ability to mount an MR image as a virtual machine in Hyper-V. Also Rapid Delta Restore (paid version) is awesome - worth paying imo for that alone.

cereberus, May 19, 2017
  8. JamesJoey Win User

Changing the PC name sounds like a good deal.

I create a system image once a week.
    Before creating the system image each week I can rename to PC.

Got it.
    Thanks much to all for the help, it is appreciated,
    James

JamesJoey, May 19, 2017
  9. JamesJoey Win User
    I renamed the PC and now Windows 10 won't accept my password.
    Somehow my Outlook.com address has been changed

Any ideas how to fix this????

JamesJoey, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Questions

2. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  3. Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows !! Backup and ReStore question.: Backup and ReStore question. Backup completed but says some files were skipped. Is the backup still correct for restoring if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-and-restore-question/67f99365-25a8-4599-ad0c-404fb5006186
  4. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  5. Backup and Restore Windows 7 Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore Windows 7 Questions: Is there a time limit on how long we can use Backup and Restore Windows 7?I did a clean install a couple days ago and instead of using the third partyimaging software I was using I decide to use Backup and Restore Windows 7.I find it a bit cumbersome because I prefer to...
  6. Windows Backup & Restore Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup & Restore Question: I wonder if automatic concurrent backups get faster after the initial backup is completed via adjusting the files from the initial backup? Or does it make a completely new copy every time it backs up files? I can't seem to find an answer to this question by searching....
  7. Question on Using 'Backup and Restore (Windwos 7)' in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question on Using 'Backup and Restore (Windwos 7)' in Windows 10: Hi. I have my external drive (USB-C) connected to my Windows 10 laptop all the time for automatic backups, using Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I have a question: does the backup of the selected drive (in my case, drives C:/ and D:/) include files that are created after the...
  8. Windows 7 Backup/Restore question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 Backup/Restore question: I have used this program for some time but need to clarify 2 questions: 1.- Does it perform incremental or differential backups? I have read that it does only incremental, however after every backup I notice that changed files are available in their entirety, which would...
  9. backup and restore question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup and restore question: Hi everyone, I clean installed windows 10 from previously having windows 7, however I noticed in control panel>system and security>backup and restore, that it shows windows 7 in brackets. I've posted a screenshot below, and a screenshot of the next screen if I click on...
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...