Windows 10: Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - What has Win7 got to do with it?

Discus and support Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - What has Win7 got to do with it? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Why is Windows 7 present in parentheses? Presumably Notepad is the same as it was in Windows 7 but it's not called "Notepad (Windows 7)". 95371 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by THX1138, Oct 12, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - What has Win7 got to do with it?

Why is Windows 7 present in parentheses? Presumably Notepad is the same as it was in Windows 7 but it's not called "Notepad (Windows 7)".

:)

THX1138, Oct 12, 2017
  2. graye Win User

Properties say I'm running Windows 8 ...

...exactly.... and it doesn't mean that this feature will somehow revert your PC back to Win7

graye, Oct 12, 2017
  3. graye Win User
    Windows 10 Backup and Restore does not like network shares in libraries.

Got it.... There are 4 things that are (loosely) called backup:

• File History
    • System Protection Restore Point
    • Image Backup
    • Win7-style backup

The way I understand it is: The Win7-style backup was for backwards compatibility... so you'd be able to do a restore from a previous version of Windows. I don't think it is currently recommended for doing file-based backups (perhaps due to the issues
    you discovered???)

graye, Oct 12, 2017
  4. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - What has Win7 got to do with it?

I believe the reason that MS did that is there was no backup in Win 8(.1). MS then included the old W7 Backup in W10. They didn't want everybody to get the impression that they created a new backup for W10.

storageman, Oct 12, 2017
  5. THX1138 Win User
    That makes about as much sense as it did to remove the backup function for Windows 8. I suppose that when a company gets as big and unmanageable as Microsoft things sometimes stop making sense.

THX1138, Oct 12, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    It's also a substantial hint this is an obsolescent feature.

dalchina, Oct 20, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    This is incorrect. The feature was also in Windows 8 but rather hidden.

They had just introduced File History Backup and were trying to quietly drop it.

However Windows 10 Insiders made it clear the feature should be retained and made more visible. MS then perversely made it more visible but confused everybody with the stupid win7 title.

Yet again MS are extracting the Michael, by deprecating (I think defecating is a better word) this feature and now recommend using 3rd Party tools.

This is bizarre as it is the only tool that can image backup Windows 10S from within windows!

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  8. DavidY Win User

The System Image was present in Windows 8.1 but the Backup & Restore (which was similar but works slightly differently) was removed in Windows 8.1.

I have an idea it was still possible to run it from the command line but as far as the version you could reach via the UI was concerned, yes Backup & Restore was removed in Windows 8.1.

DavidY, Oct 20, 2017
  9. Hi,
    The majority of free upgrades were from win-7 so I'd imagine it's just to show a description "a very old description" to easily go back if one desires although we all know that is a total crock it's not going to work after 30 days after upgrading *Smile
    Oversight mostly MS is too busy cramming in other stuff than cleaning up existing stuff.

Heck MS just figured out windows 10 phone is a loosing proposition *Haha

ThrashZone, Oct 20, 2017
  10. SIW2 Win User
    Not sure what "deprecated" is supposed to imply. Sdclt.exe is present in FCU.

It is not "obsolescent". The feature in Win 10 is different from that in Win7. Not only does it create .vhdx files, it also doesn't seem to restore win7 created images. It is a different animal.

The win7 reference is curious. Maybe it was removed from win 8, then reintroduced at some point in 8.0 or 8.1 - perhaps back then it could also restore win 7 images and they have made substantial changes to it since then. Why they still call it that, only MS knows.

That is possible.

11. cereberus Win User
    Deprecated means MS have signaled they intend to remove the option in the not to distant future.

The term windows 7 means to use its image backup tool as used in windows 7. People are wrong when they say it was removed in windows 8. It was kept but had a slightly reduced functionality ie image backups only. The newly introduced File History Backup replaced the folder and file backup functionality as a sepate too.

The basic image core has hardly been altered since Windows 7 days.

The title window 7 has nothing to do with restoring windows 7 images, merely a rather silly name to mean the tool is basically the old windows 7 style tool in effect.

I never use it anymore as it is slow, and not as reliable as Macrium Reflect.

The irony is that it is the only tool that will backup Win 10S without resorting to a winpe drive!

cereberus, Oct 25, 2017
  12. SIW2 Win User
    Sdclt.exe is present in 8.1

I vaguely recall it was removed at some point earlier, then reinstated with the Win7 title - and at that point it could restore Win7 images.

It has been changed substantially since Win7.

Thema:

1. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - What has Win7 got to do with it? - Similar Threads - Backup Restore has

2. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  3. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  4. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  5. Windows 7 backup & restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup & restore: Why do you use Windows 7 for backup & restore? 7 seems so out of date and I'm having a problem with it reading the Flash drive in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-restore/188f750b-188d-435d-af8f-159f500286db
  6. Windows backup and restore win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup and restore win7: Hi, I have to restore all files from a backup to a new drive but I then realized that it also restore renamed/deleted files and folders. I can see that it make sense for someone that accidentally deleted something and want it restored but that makes the tool barely useless...
  7. Windows 7 backup/restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 backup/restore: I use this backup option on weekdays. Unfortunately the app does not allow skipping weekend days. Is there a way to automatically limit backups to weekdays? Thanks for any help....
  8. What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What is -- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Feature: I am running W10 and in the Control Panel there is an application called Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I played with it to see exactly what it was doing and I'm not sure and was hoping someone here may know what it is all about. Firstly, why is it called (Windows 7)? Is...
  9. Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7)

Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7): I had to do a new reinstall of Windows 10 and received this error when trying to restore from my external backup drive. Originally the backup drive was G, but after the reinstall, it became H. I changed it back to G in Disk Management, and applied the SDUTIL with no errors...
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...