Windows 10: Backup and transferring program for fresh windows 10 install

Discus and support Backup and transferring program for fresh windows 10 install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to upgrade a couple of PCs to windows 10 but I need to do a fresh install and then transfer the files back onto the machine. With windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sandyb87, Dec 8, 2016.

1. sandyb87 Win User

Backup and transferring program for fresh windows 10 install

I want to upgrade a couple of PCs to windows 10 but I need to do a fresh install and then transfer the files back onto the machine.

With windows easy transfer gone I havent found any decent 3rd party program to backup and then transfer back onto the machine once its been installed. Most of these programs seem to only work if you are transferring from an old PC to the new PC and they both have to be on at the same time and also at times connected via network.

I tried Transwiz from ForensiT but it ends up braking the taskbar once its finished the transfer.

Should I just manually back up everything or is there any program out there that works well?

:)

sandyb87, Dec 8, 2016

2. Windows 10: Will I lose all my data and installed software?

I have a somewhat old PC that is compatible with Windows 10. If I upgrade, will I have to do a fresh install, or is there a way for me to transfer over all of my installed programs and all 11 Gigabytes of my documents? I can transfer the documents over
    easily, but I can not afford to lose the installed programs.

Lord Electro Gamer, Dec 8, 2016
  3. Restoring Win 10 backup after replacing hard drive

I am sorry but that answer did not match my questions, so let me restate them.

I have no problems with USB drives or drivers.

I made a backup of a failing drive, as requested by Windows, on my local network to another PC.

When I replaced the failing drive with a new drive and freshly installed Win 10, then the new Windows install cannot see the backup made to my other computer by the failing disk, although Windows on the old disk said the backup had been successful.

Is there anything I can do to help the new drive with the clean install of Win 10 "see" or recognize the backup done by the bad disk so I may restore that backup (with all my programs and documents) to the new drive?

Should I try that again with some switch or settings that I did not use and that will make the new drive with the fresh install of Win 10 see and use that backup?

Because I could not get the above done, I thought I try to be "clever" and reinstall the old failing drive and place the new good drive (with the fresh install of Win 10) on a USB enclosure. Then I had the old bad drive again make a full backup to the new
    drive with the fresh install of Win 10. It was reported by Windows as a successful backup.

Now, I again exchanged the bad drive with the fresh install of Win 10, containing the new backup of the bad drive. I had hoped that there would be a way to "restore" my programs and documents from the backup (now in the same new drive with the fresh install
    of Win 10). But no joy. The new fresh install of Win 10 in the new drive cannot "see" the backup that resides in its C drive as a backup from which it can restore. Is there a way to make it recognize that back up so it can restore my programs and documents?

Thanks for bearing with me. I realize this sounds a lot like a reference to Alice's Restaurant.

-Eduardo

Eduardo A Salgado, Dec 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you can do this (for programs and most settings) with a Laplink product (sure, it's marketed primarily for moving to a new PC, but ignore that).

Cheapest version - and quickest if you're already using disk imaging - as everyone should be- is the one that uses a disk image as the source, rather than the Laplink PCMover run first on the new, then old, then new PC.

Highish cost for one use, but worthwhile if you've lots of progs installed vs time to reinstall and configure.

If you've just a few programs, simply reinstall them.

dalchina, Dec 8, 2016
  5. sandyb87 Win User
    I dont have a great deal of programs but wanted something that would make the process a little easier. Is that the only decent program available?

sandyb87, Dec 8, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    It works.. I've used it several times, 96% success or so on 300+ programs. Not worth it for 30 or so.
    Easeus do one too. Then there's Zinstall (£££s).

Most data is relatively easy. You shouldn't need a program for that.

Apps settings (universal) : consider Win 10 Sync (see settings) to save those. I've no experience of that.
    Note that if you use the same live id to sign in, your universal apps should be available for you. (Not desktop programs).

dalchina, Dec 8, 2016
  7. Having your files backed up onto a usb stick in zip files is what I do, just before a hard drive change / re-install or monthly backup, I compress my Doc's folder contents & my pic's folder contents then copy to usb memory stick.

This way I have storage of all my backup points over the last year, normally once a month backup.

This way I can securely delete my hard drive knowing all collected data is safe on another mem stick...

RoadBlaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup and transferring program for fresh windows 10 install - Similar Threads - Backup transferring program

2. Program transfer and installation process

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Program transfer and installation process: How does installation work?Is it possible to simply merge registry changes and copy files to successfully "install" a program onto another computer?Let's say I clean installed Windows, and then cloned that disk.I then installed a program on 1 of the installations.Could I...
  3. Program transfer and installation process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program transfer and installation process: How does installation work?Is it possible to simply merge registry changes and copy files to successfully "install" a program onto another computer?Let's say I clean installed Windows, and then cloned that disk.I then installed a program on 1 of the installations.Could I...
  4. Program transfer and installation process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfer Windows 10 Pro License on a Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Pro License on a Fresh Install: I originally had a Windows 7 Pro license that was auto updated to Windows 10 Professional in 2014 Then Last Year i got a new PC and I called microsoft and had that license transferred to a new Machine witha 250 gig HDNow i have a newer 2 terrabyte HD and I cannot reach...
  6. Transfer User files to fresh install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer User files to fresh install: I have a Windows 10 system that has become very unstable. I keep getting random freezes and / or restarts. I have tried some basic steps, outlined online and it keeps happening. At this point i am going to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. My worry is that my User files...
  7. backup program for windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup program for windows 10: 1-20-2020 Stats: windows 10 pro 64 bit uefi, version # 1909, 2 SSDs, external HD to store the image on. I know this has been discussed before but I need someone to come down to the dummy level if they would be so kind. What I want to do is a simple image of my 2 SSDS and...
  8. Backup Installed Programs

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Installed Programs: Hello, Several programs are actually installed in the system, some in "program files" folder and some in "program files (x86)" folder. All of them less then 10. All other programs are on another disk as portables. Is there some way to backup those really installed programs so...
  9. Backup Installed Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup Installed Programs: Hello, Several programs are actually installed in the system, some in "program files" folder and some in "program files (x86)" folder. All of them less then 10. All other programs are on another disk as portables. Is there some way to backup those really installed programs so...
  10. Fresh install help file backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install help file backup: Where can I get a list of files I need to copy before formatting my hard drive? boy, I miss Easy File Transfer. *Sad 28993