Windows 10: Backup boot disk

Discus and support Backup boot disk in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just downloaded MediaCreateTool64.exe To create a Windows 10 USB startup disk. Everything seemed to work properly. I wrote down the Product... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by doncole, Dec 15, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

Backup boot disk

I just downloaded MediaCreateTool64.exe

To create a Windows 10 USB startup disk.

Everything seemed to work properly.

I wrote down the Product key as suggested.

But when I restarted my computer, with the startup USB in there, it just rebooted normally.

It never asked for the Product key?

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Dec 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 System Repair Disk won't boot

Am getting the error "WDF_violation" when I try to boot from the System Repair disk. I get the same error with an EaseUS Backup Emergency Disk. My old Puppy Linux disk boots perfectly. It's nice to have backups, but if one can't boot with a disk holding
    the recovery software, they are not of much use. Solutions?

RobertGundersen, Dec 15, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Create a recovery drive fails

You must create a recovery drive on a disk or thumb drive. You do not use the hidden recovery partition at all. That is not to altered by the user or it will be useless. A recovery disk has to be used
    to boot to in case of disk failure. It is not related to backup. It is to access the backups on an external hard drive when the hard drive fails. Recovery drive is misnamed. It should be named Emergency Boot Media instead.

mlg63, Dec 15, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Backup boot disk

Did you set BIOS to use USB as first boot device ?

CountMike, Dec 15, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Is this for the Toshiba C55-b in your specs? If so, restart the PC and as soon as you see the Toshiba logo screen press F12 to get the 'choose boot device' screen. If you have the USB plugged in it will be listed there.

It actually says 'F2 to enter BIOS, F12 for Boot Manager' at the bottom of that screen, but it goes away so quick you probably haven't had time to read it.

NB: you DON'T get the F12 option if you have fast startup turned on and do a shut down, then power up again. To be able to use F12 at boot you must do a full cold start. Either use Restart (which doesn't use fast startup) or turn off fast startup.

(mine's a Toshiba too)

6. doncole Win User
    Thank you CountMike and Bree.*Wink

I got It boot from the USB. A big mistake. It took some doing to get it back to normal boot.

My guess is you shouldn't use the boot USB unless your computer won't boot at all.

Btw I now have a Dell the Toshiba crashed. I'll update my profile later.

Don Cole

doncole, Dec 16, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    USB booting should not lead to a big mistake. Something else may be going on? Along with the very good advice from others in this board, I'm wondering if a local computer hardware/software guru might spend a little time with you and your computer, walking you through some trouble-shooting ideas and steps - that combination should get your computer working aok again.

RolandJS, Dec 16, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Backup boot disk

Consulting a manual here and there can also help. Modern computers usually have two modes to access BIOS. Full access and just temporary access for a menu of BOOT-ing devices. Changes in full access are made permanent (usually F10) while BOOT device access is temporary. Only for that one BOOT instance.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup boot disk

1. Backup boot disk - Similar Threads - Backup boot disk

2. Disk cloning and backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning and backup: I have a Windows 10 PC with a 250 gb SSD. I also have an external 250 SSD. Is there software that will allow me to clone the internal drive to the external for disaster recovery and then have all future disk writes go to both drives so that they are always identical?...
  3. Disk Mirror - Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Mirror - Backup: I have a question I want to mirror the primary C: drive using another internal SSD using the disk management tool. I want to have an exact mirror Is this recommended or should I image or clone the drive using an external HDD. Second question is the mirror two way or one way?...
  4. How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux?: I'm pretty sure I'd done this maybe 15 years ago but I'd forgotten how to do it. I have an external hard drive which was reading, kinda spotty, when connected, it would drop in and out. So, I took it out of the enclosure. Before that, though my drive fell on the ground, then...
  5. HDD failure with no backup disks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HDD failure with no backup disks: My Hp Laptop was dropped and my HDD is beyond repair. I want to purchase a new SSD but I don't have my activation key. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-failure-with-no-backup-disks/b50eaec0-2fbf-414f-81e2-142d63637a43
  6. Backup files to external disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup files to external disk: Please help me to find out how can I do this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-files-to-external-disk/586ed305-b89e-43aa-b8ee-1992efd895ac
  7. Disk Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Backup: I have a neighbor whos PC needs upgrading. Inside is an older HDD and I want to clone everything over to a new SSD. I have an external enclosure for the drive to connect via USB, but it only has one slot so I have no way of connecting both the SSD and the HDD to my desktop at...
  8. Backup second internal disk?

Backup second internal disk?: I keep my user data on a separate internal hard disk, drive E. File History will not even recognize this second drive. So I tried using Backup and Restore (Windows 7). After churning away for an hour or so, it gave me the error message "The filename, directory name, or...
  9. Boot Disk

Boot Disk: Can you create a boot disk for windows 10 from the Internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-disk/c4280960-5507-4cfe-b2c0-c5b43c3581ce
  10. Low disk space message for Backup disk.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Low disk space message for Backup disk.: Hi, I get a notification every 10 minutes or so saying "Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on backup disk" In the backup settings, I told it to delete files whenever it needs space, yet I'm still getting this annoying message. A) Is my backup running as it...