Windows 10: Backup Bug or Desired?

Discus and support Backup Bug or Desired? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I wanted to enable the backup feature (Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup) and when I selected "Add a drive", the drive I wanted to add wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ShiftySituation, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Backup Bug or Desired?

I wanted to enable the backup feature (Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup) and when I selected "Add a drive", the drive I wanted to add wasn't listed. All other drives appeared in the list so I started looking on the drive that wasn't showing to see if there was something recursive that may be happening. Blindly I decided to move my OneDrive folder to another drive and guess what, the drive now shows up but the drive I moved the OneDrive folder to is not showing up. If the backups are going into the OneDrive folder, that is understandable to not allow the OneDrive folder to be picked but eliminating the entire drive from the selection? I don't get it... something I'm missing?

:)

ShiftySituation, Mar 5, 2016
  2. Kadeo26 Win User
    Kadeo26, Mar 5, 2016
  3. TomBrad95 Win User
    Backing up data on Windows Phone 8.1 + problems with backing up

Glad your problem is fixed being on the developer preview has its bugs and I think that the backup was one of these bugs.

TomBrad95, Mar 5, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Backup Bug or Desired?

Hi ShiftySituation,

See if this helps.

Try going to Control Panel > Back Up & Restore. Off to the left pane there's a link titled "Create System Image." Click on that, which should bring up the drives which can accept the image. If your drive is not listed, then perhaps there's an issue with the way it's formatted?

Also, just so you know, that whatever you place within the OneDrive folder will be saved in a cloud, BUT, what you remove from that same folder will result in that data being deleted from the cloud. (I was just made aware of this myself).

Also, here's some free alternatives, which many of us prefer over what comes with Win-10.

Macrium Reflect Free
    AOMEI Backupper Standard

b1rd, Mar 5, 2016
  5. The drive shows up after I remove the OneDrive folder. Example;

Available drives:
    D:\ (has OneDrive on it at D:\OneDrive)
    E:\ (no OneDrive here)
    - In the Backup -> 'Add a drive' list of available backup drive 'D:\' isn't a choice.

Now I swap where OneDrive is like;
    D:\ (no OneDrive here)
    E:\ (has OneDrive on it at E:\OneDrive)
    - In the Backup -> 'Add a drive' list of available backup drive 'E:\' isn't a choice now.

What I want to do is backup into the OneDrive folder, something like 'D:\OneDrive\Backup' without using 3rd party software.

6. b1rd Win User
    I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't have an answer as to why. However, you can sync your files, which might accomplish what you're trying to do. See HERE.
    If that's not it, you might look at creating a shortcut to OneDrive, which you should be able to put onto any drive. I think there might even be a Copy / Move to option within the Context menu, but I'm going from memory, as I tweaked mine a bit and I no longer have it (if I ever did before).

Also, I'm not sure if you were looking at trying to store a system image onto OneDrive as a back-up, but if so, I'm not sure how that would work out. IMHO, it's better to have it on a second drive if possible.

What I mean is that you've indicted that you want to use the back up feature, however there's several. You have the ability to back up files & folders, but you can also back up your entire operating system- which is highly recommended. See the below link for additional.

How to Use All of Windows 10’s Backup and Recovery Tools

b1rd, Mar 5, 2016
  7. I tried to follow the instructions from the first link and it basically told me to change the folder path when installing OneDrive, it doesn't show how to add additional folders that should sync with one drive, except 'Documents' and 'Pictures' (no place here to select any other folder). This makes sense why it isn't allowed because of 2 way syncing.

I want to sync my music to OneDrive but I don't want to move it to the D:\OneDrive folder. I guess I'm going to need third party software..

8. b1rd Win User

Backup Bug or Desired?

This idea does not sync the two folders, but you could just pop in a OneDrive shortcut into your Music Folder, then do some quick drag & drops into the OneDrive shortcut folder that way.

Or, maybe place your Music folder into your Documents folder, so that way it syncs like you want. Now, create a Music Folder shortcut and just use that as your main music folder. (Hope that made sense)

b1rd, Mar 6, 2016
  9. Yeah, I'll just drag and drop to an icon. It's really a select few folders that need backed up and they don't change that often... why over complicate it.

I did notice why they won't allow you to use the Backup onto OneDrive is because it is a full historical backup and they even duplicate the files even if the file hasn't changed. This filled up quickly and it was extra annoying because everything in my user folder (documents, pictures..) was automatically added to the Backup, only to come back when manually removed. A quick hack is to add those folders to the ignore list to stop them from backing up.

If they gave OneDrive a way to link to multiple folders, I'd be set... Here's to a dream!

Thanks for your help!

ShiftySituation, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup Bug or Desired?

1. Backup Bug or Desired? - Similar Threads - Backup Bug Desired

2. Bugs in Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugs in Windows Backup: Hi everyone! There are two bugs happening in Windows Backup:1 I needed more space in my external drive, so I removed a folder from the list, manually deleted its content from the external drive and backed up again. However, the "Size of the backup" is not updating it's still...
  3. Bugs in Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugs in Windows Backup: Hi everyone! There are two bugs happening in Windows Backup:1 I needed more space in my external drive, so I removed a folder from the list, manually deleted its content from the external drive and backed up again. However, the "Size of the backup" is not updating it's still...
  4. Bugs in Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. There is a lot to be desired with the personalization of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is a lot to be desired with the personalization of Windows 10: Personalization has a lot to be desired, not much can be personalized in Windows 10 and I would love to have as many functions as possible, so that you can personalize your entire system and add screensavers, so that they exist as they were in previous older operating systems...
  6. Desire No Sign-In screen whatsoever

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desire No Sign-In screen whatsoever: Desire No Sign-In screen whatsoeverHave been messing with this for hours, to no avail but additional problems.The goal; press start button and …whella- your desktop. Otherwise, if stolen, allowed by cell-phone to lock the laptop with a “stolen…” screen message to return to...
  7. Odd desire to Slow PC down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Odd desire to Slow PC down: Hi My PC is quite a fast and I want to slow it down *Eek Yes I know that probably sounds nuts but having worked with computers for 20 years I can work pretty quickly and don't want to, all the time. Is there an app that might allow me to throttle parts of the hardware so W10...
  8. Mouse sleep mode not desired...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse sleep mode not desired...: My mouse enters sleep mode after 5-10 minutes. I don't want it to go to sleep at all. I've unchecked any power management tick boxes under the mouse drivers and the USB root hub device driver panel. I'm not worried about saving money here. As far as I remember I've used this...
  9. Desired Personalisation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desired Personalisation: HELLO!! So, I bought a new laptop recently. I'm now trying to personalize it however I am being prevented from changing the lock screen :( At the top of the page it says in red "*Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization" and everything else on the page is...
  10. Wimboot is not desired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wimboot is not desired: How can I stop Windows 10 from installing into Windows image file boot (WIMBoot), without formatting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/wimboot-is-not-desired/fa74bc47-8dd9-49b7-a5b7-a9c217cdb46f