Windows 10: Backup Disaster: Windows Changing Folder Names

Discus and support Backup Disaster: Windows Changing Folder Names in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just noticed that W10 had changed the name of 2 of my folders on my D Drive!! D is where I keep my Data Files. Besides what I would consider an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mitrajoon, Feb 11, 2016.

1. mitrajoon Win User

Backup Disaster: Windows Changing Folder Names

I just noticed that W10 had changed the name of 2 of my folders on my D Drive!! D is where I keep my Data Files.

Besides what I would consider an incredible case of big brotherism worthy of the North Korean government, it has prevented these folders from being backed up as my back up does recognize the folders. One of them is my Favorites folder which MS renamed Documents and the other is my Photos Folder which MS renamed Pictures. This latter folder is critical to me and contains thousands of images. That's why I back it up regularly to 3 different hard drives.

What right does MS have to go into my personal drive and my personal files (no operating system stuff) and start messing with them. How can I stop this? Do I have any legal rights?

:)

mitrajoon, Feb 11, 2016

2. windows 10 back up

The WindowsImageBackup folder won't change. Its date will be the date you ran the image backup. The FileHistory folder date also won't change, but underneath that folder will be a folder matching your Windows profile name and that folder's date (or the
    dates on the folders or files underneath it) will change each time Windows makes a file history backup. I checked.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Feb 11, 2016
  3. qinada Win User
    Windows 10 Backup Image Not Recognized

In general, following three actions maybe the main reasons:

You changed your PC name.

You edited the name of the system backup for disgusting or specify the name when you start a backup.

You moved the backup image to another folder.

To fix, it , try the following:

Change the PC name back to what it used to be.

Change the folder name to WindowsImageBackup, otherwise, it won’t be detected by Windows Recovery.

The WindowsImageBackup folder has to be placed on the root of the drive, i.e. it cannot be placed in another folder and recognized as sub-folder.

Also, to completely avoid this issue, it is a wise choice to turn to powerful third party backup software like AOMEI Backupper. It is a free software. With it, you can create am image of system, disk, partition, files and folders. Then restore it
    when needed.

The paid edition allows you to
    restore to a dissimilar computer
    with Universal Restore feature.

qinada, Feb 11, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

Wow,i would call a lawyer, if I knew Microsoft got into my computer and renamed my folders,,,

but I think its just clutch with a windows update,, or something like that, but lm not sure what, or how to deal with it

caperjack, Feb 11, 2016
  5. mitrajoon Win User
    You're probably right as there was an automatic update the other day, but they also must have some responsibility for their software delving into private files. Really doesn't matter though, as they are well aware, no one has the financial ability to challenge them. I just hope someone can provide a way to prevent this from happening.

mitrajoon, Feb 11, 2016
  6. caperjack Win User
    yeah,hard to say why files and folders get changes ,maybe because updates don't expect tot see these folder in another area of the hard drives ,don't think any delving into files was ever done, just an error in what changes the update might have caused, we must remember there are hundreds of millions computer being update ,not like some Microsoft employee picked you computer to fool with .
    .did you try right click on the folders and renaming the folders back to the correct names

caperjack, Feb 11, 2016
  7. mitrajoon Win User
    Yes, I just renamed the folders back to their original name. I guess the "fix" is to pay attention and do this whenever there is an update or the folder names get changed. I've also noticed a folder of folders called MapData is being created in my D Drive. I delete it whenever I see it but it just gets recreated. Why this is on my D drive and not my C drive is another question.

mitrajoon, Feb 11, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Could these be library folders which you have relocated, maybe in a previous build from which you upgraded?

I.e. although they are data they are still linked to Windows as by default they would reside on C:?

That said, Favourites -> Documents makes no sense.

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    My Favorites are still in Favorites and I have no favorites in Documents.

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2016
  10. mitrajoon Win User
    To be clear: W10 is renaming my Favorites folder "Documents". That folder still contains my Favorites though, it's just the name that changes.

In playing with this I notice that when I save Word documents they go directly to my Documents folder on my D Drive. When I try to save PDF files, the Save or Save As command opens my Favorites folder. Very confusing. Is there a way to redirect PDFs to my Documents folder on the D Drive? Whatever setting is sending PDFs to my Favorites folder may be part of the problem.

Still doesn't address the issue of my Photos folder being renamed Pictures.

mitrajoon, Feb 11, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, take the simpler case (possibly).
    Firstly, 'Pictures' is the standard Win 10 folder name or what is found in %USERPROFILE% as

%USERPROFILE%\Pictures
    - by default,
    C:\Users\- derived from username -\Pictures

Could you try opening explorer, copying that into the address bar, and say whether that points to your folder on D: or a folder on C: as above?

Secondly, try a similar thing with
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents

What does that open, and what is the path?
    C:\Users\- derived from username -\Documents
    or your folder on D: ?

Are your 3 folders in one folder on D: or simply folders on D:?
    If you put
    %USERPROFILE% in explorer's address bar, what does it open?
    (You can also open a command prompt and type
    echo %USERPROFILE%
    )

dalchina, Feb 12, 2016
  12. mitrajoon Win User
    dalchina

Thanks. I followed your suggestions with the following results.
    • When plugging in Favorites, it took me to the location on my C Drive for my Favorites. Documents and Pictures however came back Not Found.
    • I tried echo %USERPROFILE% at the command prompt (admin) I got one line that said C:Users/Jim and then the second line was the System32 prompt that originally opened whn I called up the prompt.

To answer your question the folders (Documents and Photos) are separate Folders on the D Drive, i.e., DBackup Disaster: Windows Changing Folder Names :photos, Documents

To summarize the situation:

• On my Desktop is my Favorites Folder, after the last W10 update it was renamed Documents, I just renamed it back to Favorites
      • When I go to save PDF Files, Favorites (on the C Drive) is opened up as the place to Save them
        • Word documents on the other hand go to my Documents folder on My D Drive, no problem there
      • A clue: I tried to move the Favorites Folder off my Desktop by changing the location to C:User/Jim. I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to move Documents as well. If I said no it came back "invalid", if I said yes nothing happened. Either way I couldn't move Favorites off the Desktop. Somehow I've managed to link Documents And Favorites.
    • After the last update I thought my Photos folder was renamed Pictures. I now believe my Photos folder was duplicated and placed on the C Drive as Pictures.
      • I'm thinking W10 recreated Pictures on my Desktop and copied all my images to the C: Drive. It was not a shortcut (the Favorites Folder is not). I can't confirm this until it happens again and of course I am hoping someone can tell me what needs to modified to prevent this in the first place.

I feel like Alice in Wonderland.

mitrajoon, Feb 12, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, strange rabbit holes.
    %USERPROFILE%\Favorites - ok (but that won't be the Favorites folder you refer to as being on your desktop, renamed Documents - or is it?)
    echo %USERPROFILE% - ok
    Documents and Pictures however came back Not Found. - sthg wrong.

Have you ever used the Locate tab (properties sheet - rt click on a folder like Documents - to relocate it?)

Seems like the basic folder structure of your user profile has been damaged.
    Let's try to fix it step by step - see how far we get- but no guarantees. You might end up needing to create a new user.. and transferring things between users is far from straightforward.

First, go to %userprofile% in explorer.
    You would expect to see- assuming you hadn't relocated them-
    Contacts
    Desktop
    Documents
    Downloads
    Favourites - or Favorites
    Links
    Music
    Pictures
    Saved Games
    Searches
    Videos
    - perhaps OneDrive

- and perhaps some others related to programs you've installed

You said Documents and Pictures were not found, so create those folders.
    Now post a screenshot of your
    %userprofile%
    folder.
    (Note- inspect the icons for those folders- are they correct?)
    Also please post a screenshot of your folders on D: showing the ones we're interested in (the icons may be helpful).

What happens now when you put
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents
    %USERPROFILE%\Pictures
    in the explorer address bar?

dalchina, Feb 12, 2016
  14. mitrajoon Win User
    Pictures, Documents, Favorites and Links are not there.

Favorites is on my Desktop. Clicking on properties, location is C:Users/Desktop

But when I go to C:Users, I see Documents. Clicking on Documents leads me to the list above except that Favorites is under Desktop.

Somehow the hierarchy of folders has gotten messed up. This must have happened when I was trying to eliminate the clutter of W10 Folders on the Desktop and in ThisPC. Maybe I just need to start moving stuff around.

mitrajoon, Feb 12, 2016
  15. linw Win User
    Interesting thread and nice diagnostic help, dalchina.

I have seen this re-location folder 'trick' before and it can be seriously dangerous as you can end up deleting what you think is a duplicated folder and finding all the original files disappear.

My advice is don't fiddle with the 'standard' folders!! And if you do, be VERY careful how you try to fix it. And always have good backups!

Good luck mitrajoon - looks like dalchina has you well in hand!

Thema:

1. Backup Disaster: Windows Changing Folder Names - Similar Threads - Backup Disaster Changing

2. How to change this folder name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change this folder name?: I know how to rename the folder but this one wont let me do so. So when the person who set up this laptop for me, misspell my name and now i want to change it. Please help...
  3. Change the name of account and folder name.

Change the name of account and folder name.: I am in the process of setting up a Windows PC. I noticed that after I went through the prompts to begin using windows and signing on to my Microsoft account that I have a user in my local folders called c:\users\kenp1. I do not want to use that name, but I can't find...
  4. Changing User folder name ??

Changing User folder name ??: I recently clean installed Win 10 and i came to found out that the name of the user folder is first 5 letters of my email address. I wanted to know if there is a simple solution to this. I also tried renaming and changing path in regedit using Administrator account but it was...
  5. Backup not reflecting changes in folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup not reflecting changes in folders: I have transferred a large number of files between different folders (from DropBox to OneDrive). I have then backed up my whole computer to an external harddrive. But when I check the backup it does not register the change to file locations. Dropbox folder is still full of...
  6. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder: Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library) Here's what is happening in explorer: I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder...
  7. change a user name folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    change a user name folder: how do I change a user name folder in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-a-user-name-folder/7413f37f-1efb-44a8-9a97-24132b3ad0f8
  8. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  9. Is it possible to change this folder name ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it possible to change this folder name ?: Is it possible to change this folder name ? Because I type the wrong name when I install windows 10 *Sad In this folder C:\Users [img] 16405
  10. Showing Documents folder name in backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Showing Documents folder name in backup: I am running the Cobian backup program. I set it to back up the Documents directory. It give it a file name "Documents 2017-06-04 15;42;51 (Full)" which appears that way when looked at through Powershell and through alternative file managers. [img] Powershell...