Windows 10: Backup drive has not enough space

Discus and support Backup drive has not enough space in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; When trying to make an image backup I get"not enough space on drive" although it is a blank drive with 75 GB 25549 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ddinc, Oct 7, 2015.

1. ddinc Win User

Backup drive has not enough space

When trying to make an image backup I get"not enough space on drive" although it is a blank drive with 75 GB

:)

ddinc, Oct 7, 2015

2. Mirror Backup Space Requirments

I have an external drive with 1.81 TB of free space. My PC has 1.34 TB of used space. Yet when I tried to do a Mirror Image backup using Microsoft Backup, it failed to complete because of "not enough free space".

What should the differential be between free space available and used space to be backed up?

Summerland Citizen, Oct 7, 2015
  3. D Drive 100% full so what should I do?

I do not think that your D drive has anything to do with your problem. The point being that a Recovery Drive contains the original preinstalled copy of Windows which plays no part in any back up procedure. To explain what was going on I needed
    to locate the error report generated when your backup failed. Unfortunately it took a long time to locate the error report due to your difficulties with providing files and OneDrive.

Log Name: Application

Source: Windows Backup

Date: 11/09/2016 19:02:55

Event ID: 4104

Level: Error

Description:

The backup was not successful. The error is: There is not enough space on this drive to save the backup. Create some space by deleting older backups and unnecessary data, or change your backup settings. (0x81000005).

You have been focussing on There is not enough space on this drive to save the backup. The solution is not
    Create some space. It is the alternative to change your backup settings.
    You need to back up to a location other than your D drive. This has been obvious from the very beginning.
    You cannot backup 60gb into a 19gb partition.

You need to decide on an alternative location and that needs to have more than 120gb free disk space. It should not be to your existing drive because that defeats the purpose for which a backup is created. You create a backup to protect against
    hard drive failure. If the hard drive fails with the system and backup on you lose the lot.

Do you have an external hard drive of sufficient capacity?

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How big is the file system you are trying to back up?

NavyLCDR, Oct 7, 2015
  5. Kanata Win User
    I assume the destination disk is formatted with NTFS ?
    When you say blank disk, I also assume it is not just a raw partition ?

Kanata, Oct 7, 2015
  6. ddinc Win User
    It's NTFS.Meanwhile I saw that it wants to save all my partitions.
    I wish only to backup C as my program files are on a separate partition.
    But there is no option :

ddinc, Oct 7, 2015
  7. Kanata Win User
    I thought that Windows 10 system image only creates an image for the entire drive and not for individual partitions?

Kanata, Oct 7, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, there is. It's called Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Reflect Free

Backup drive has not enough space :)

That is what ddinc's problem is. He can't backup just 1 partition with Windows 10 imaging. But Macrium Reflect Free will image individual partitions.

NavyLCDR, Oct 7, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    And compress them, my whole C: drive is 42+GB in use from 512Gb, but my Macrium image is only 21.3GB.

Cliff S, Oct 7, 2015
  10. ddinc Win User
    Thanks a lot

ddinc, Oct 7, 2015
  11. Macrium, ToDo Backup Free, Aomei backupper all will accomplish was you want to do (individual partitions)

GamerwGlasses, Oct 7, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
  13. Molyy Win User

I would vote for macrium reflect and easeus todo backup, both are freeware. *092

Molyy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup drive has not enough space - Similar Threads - Backup drive has

2. "Not enough space on destination drive" error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Not enough space on destination drive" error: I tried to copy a file to a USB flash drive, but there was insufficient room for it, so I got an error. I then freed up plenty of space on the drive and tried again. It gave me the same error, even though the amount of space was more than adequate. I rebooted Windows 10, but...
  3. Source Drive Not Enough Space When Copying to Backup Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Source Drive Not Enough Space When Copying to Backup Drive: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Home, v. 21h1, OS build 19043.1288. Recently I have been receiving an error message when trying to do a manual copy of my OneDrive folder. The source drive has a total of 1 TB of capacity, with 312 GB free space. The destination drive an NAS drive...
  4. Source Drive Not Enough Space When Copying to Backup Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Source Drive Not Enough Space When Copying to Backup Drive: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Home, v. 21h1, OS build 19043.1288. Recently I have been receiving an error message when trying to do a manual copy of my OneDrive folder. The source drive has a total of 1 TB of capacity, with 312 GB free space. The destination drive an NAS drive...
  5. Source Drive Not Enough Space When Copying to Backup Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Never enough space on my windows backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Never enough space on my windows backup: My attempts to perform a system backup using a zip drive always fail due to not having enough space. I feel vulnerable not having a system backup, but don't know how to successfully create one. Can anyone recommend a fix?[Moderator Edit: Moved from the Community...
  7. "Not enough space on hard drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Not enough space on hard drive": Hi I'm trying to install an old program on my Windows 10 computer. Everything seems OK until the "available space" on the hard drive is shown. This shows as a negative amount in Kb, I have a 2TB hard drive which is practically brand new. Help please....
  8. "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.: Getting a very strange error when trying to copy a file onto a drive: [ATTACH] Looks like there's enough space to me... halp. :P https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-on-when-theres-enough-space/c484ca99-4210-4ee7-8d07-d66ad4843183"
  9. Not enough space on Recovery (D:) drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not enough space on Recovery (D:) drive.: My Recovery D is full and is all red . I had to do a recovery and it couldn't remove enough without destroying important and computer info. I do not want community please. I don't understand very well. **Title modified from: I have no recovery space it's all red***...
  10. Has One Drive matured enough to be used as an Instant Backup for Docs.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Has One Drive matured enough to be used as an Instant Backup for Docs.: I would like to be able to save every document to "Both" Local -and - OneDrive at the nearly the same time. In the event i am not connected to the internet, I would be OK with waiting for the sync. I recently ran across several How To's showing various options but they still...