Windows 10: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Back Up Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

How to: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

How to Back Up Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. EFS enables transparent encryption and decryption of files for your user account by using advanced, standard cryptographic algorithms. Any individual or app that doesn't possess the appropriate file encryption key cannot open any encrypted files and folders. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your individual files and folders secure.

Creating a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX file helps you avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key are lost or corrupted.

If you lose access to your encrypted files and folders, you will not be able to open them again unless you are able to restore your file encryption certificate and key used with EFS.

This tutorial will show you how to back up your file encryption certificate and key used with Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

Warning When you back up your file encryption certificate and key using an option below, you will be required to enter a password used to protect the private key to maintain the security of your encrypted files and folders.

No one will be able to restore the backed up file encryption certificate and key to gain access to your encrypted files and folders unless they are able to enter this password.

It is extremely important that you do not lose this password. Keep it written down in a safe secure location in case you need to restore your backed up file encryption certificate and key.

Be sure to also keep the PFX file backup of your file encryption certificate and key saved in a safe and secure location in case you need to restore your backed up file encryption certificate and key.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Backup your Current EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key from EFS Notification or Icon
    • Option Two: To Backup your EFS File Encryption Certificate(s) and Key(s) in Certificates Manager
    • Option Three: To Backup your Current EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup your Current EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key from EFS Notification or Icon

Note You will see the EFS notification and icon whenever a new file encryption certificate and key has been created.

This is usually after the first time you encrypt a file or folder, or manually create a new key using the Cipher command.

1. Either click/tap on the EFS notification or taskbar icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Back up now. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4. Check the Password box, enter a password you want to protect the private key backup with, enter this password again to confirm, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Browse button, navigate to where you want to save the backup to, enter a file name you want for the backup, click/tap on Save, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

7. When the export has successfully finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Backup your EFS File Encryption Certificate(s) and Key(s) in Certificates Manager
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type certmgr.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Certificates Manager.

2. In the left pane of certmgr, expand open the Personal store, and open Certificates. (see screenshots below step 3)

3. In the right pane of Certificates, select all certificates for Encrypting File System under the "Intended Purpose" column, right click or press and hold on these selected certificates, click/tap on All Tasks, and click/tap on Export. (see screenshots below)

4. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. Select (dot) Yes, export the private key, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Check the Password box, enter a password you want to protect the private key backup with, enter this password again to confirm, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8. Click/tap on the Browse button, navigate to where you want to save the backup to, enter a file name you want for the backup, click/tap on Save, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

10. When the export has successfully finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Backup your Current EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow cipher /x "%UserProfile%\Desktop\MyEFSCertificates"

3. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. Enter a password you want to protect the private key backup with in the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

5. Enter this password password again to confirm, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

6. When your EFS certificate has been backed up successfully, you can close the command prompt if you like. (see screenshot below)

7. A MyEFSCertificates.PFX file has now been save to your desktop. This is the backup of your current file encryption certifcate and key.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 29, 2017
  2. PolarNettles, Oct 26, 2019
  3. desk77 Win User
    Backup the EFS encryption key file

My IT support staff told me that it doesn't depend on them. So why did those message start to appear?
    Anyway, do you think I should make a copy of certificates on a external storage or try to decrypt all files?

desk77, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Bree Win User
    How do I restore a deleted file encryption key on Windows 10?

See if this tutorial helps, Option Two seems to be what you are looking for...

6. Brink Win User
    Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

Hello DiamondGirl, *Smile

The lock on the top right of the icon indicates it may have been encrypted by EFS.

*Arrow Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

If so, you would need to backup your EFS certificate and key from the computer you encrypted them on, and then import this EFS certificate and key to the computer you want to view them on.

Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Encrypting File

2. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  3. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  4. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  5. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  6. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Encrypting File System and Certificates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System and Certificates: Hello I was hoping someone could clearly explain why sharing files encrypted using EFS require Enterprise Certificate Authority? [ATTACH] Cheers Julian Leach...
  8. backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup: Hi! When i open my pc i can see an icon, and when i click on it i get a pop-up that says: "backup your file encryption certificate and key ". I didnt encrypt anything , so i ran "cipher /u /n /h" in a cmd and nothing was outputted. I went in certmgr and in the...
  9. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key: I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop...
  10. Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Import Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 import efs keys from backup