Windows 10: Backup fails with "check your backup"

Discus and support Backup fails with "check your backup" in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Surface 3 128GB with 128GB microSD card External empty 3TB WD hard drive formatted as NTFS Configured backup to backup both the internal SSD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TwoMetreBill, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Backup fails with "check your backup"

Surface 3 128GB with 128GB microSD card
    External empty 3TB WD hard drive formatted as NTFS

Configured backup to backup both the internal SSD and the microSD card, total used about 100GB.

Backup repeatedly fails with:
    Check your backup
    The last backup did not complete successfully

Clicking the More Information button yields a box stating:
    Check your backup
    Windows Backup encountered an error when writing data to the
    backup target.
    Details: The system cannot find the file specified

There are two options:
    Try to run backup again (this I've done at least 10 times with the same result)
    Change backup settings (not sure what I'd change)

BTW, the backup seems to work on my HP workstation but on that machine I only backup the C drive. Everything else is backed up with Genie Timeline.

Any thoughts as to the cause of this error? Web searches don't provide any help. One hint: the amount of space consumed on the external drive approximately matches the used space on the internal SSD. Win10 on Surface tablets has multiple problems with the microSD card slot, could this just be another of them?

:)

TwoMetreBill, Sep 13, 2015
  2. garym123 Win User

Transferring Apps, Contacts, etc. from one Windows Phone to Another

Phone backup includes your list of apps and app data if the developer allowed app data for the app.

Apps that are no longer in the store for your device can not be installed again following a backup.

Understand the process before evaluation.

garym123, Sep 13, 2015
  3. " Can't find maps on your phone " . Please help

@markus8814

Upon N97 Mini map data could be stored upon either mass memory or memory card with choice available within Nokia Maps application > Settings. Don't want you removing map data unnecessarily but you may possibly need to delete both E:\cities and F:\cities
    + .qf file and re-start Nokia Maps application to re-define necessary folder structure; it may help to set Nokia Maps "Online" and download a few kb's of map data via WLAN access point by zooming in to your current location and start again downloading maps
    to chosen destination.

aspergerguy, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

Backup fails with "check your backup"

1. Backup fails with "check your backup" - Similar Threads - Backup fails check

2. Check your network credentials for windows backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check your network credentials for windows backup: Is it possible to set this not to expire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-your-network-credentials-for-windows-backup/c32465a0-8b1b-454f-9390-2ca505fa7e3d
  3. Check your network credentials for windows backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Check your network credentials for windows backup: Is it possible to set this not to expire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-your-network-credentials-for-windows-backup/c32465a0-8b1b-454f-9390-2ca505fa7e3d
  4. Check your network credentials for windows backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  6. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  7. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Is there a "Check your backup" notice error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is there a "Check your backup" notice error: I ran a System Image backup today using an external hard drive for storage but soon after commencement the backup failed. On the "Backup and Restore" page a notice in red is displayed saying "Check your backup". The error code is 0x8078014B - "Failure creating a Directory on...
  9. Backup fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup fails: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with the system backup Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 ASUS T200TA ; Windows10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 There is no...
  10. Backup fails

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup fails: My win 7 backup on a win 10 machine fails. There is an inadequate message. There is 375 GB free space. It stops after creating three folders. 72415

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to check back up fail