Windows 10: Backup File Explorer settings?

Discus and support Backup File Explorer settings? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Don't you hate it when you find a solution and can not find it here again? My wife has customized her File Explorer settings. The issue is that if she... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MPSAN, Apr 12, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

Backup File Explorer settings?

Don't you hate it when you find a solution and can not find it here again?
    My wife has customized her File Explorer settings. The issue is that if she does a search for a file like q-dir.exe on the whole C: drive it takes a long time, never finds it, and then never stops searching! I want to change her settings to DEFAULTS but want to back up her settings in case that is not the issue. She does have show hidden files, etc enabled. My system shows this and her settings are about the same as mine.

So, where was the batch file on tenforums that had the reg save? Also on tutorials I no longer see the alphabetical index.

:)

MPSAN, Apr 12, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Apr 12, 2017
  3. thusithkb Win User
    Backup file nt opening

Try to explore your backup file. Visit google and search for nokia backup file explore.

thusithkb, Apr 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Complete list
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index - Windows 10 Tutorials
    and go up one level (Tutorials)
    Windows 10 Tutorials

If you want REALLY quick - instant- search results either
    a. index EVERYTHING (Hmm..)
    or
    b. Use a free 3rd party tool
    These give find-as-you-type results with GUI specification of size range, date range, extension, where to search from, permit regular expressions etc etc.

I like locate32 (no longer maintained) - it just works.
    Others like
    Ultrasearch
    Everything by Void tools

registry save for what? Back up your registry?

dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  5. MPSAN Win User
    No, there was a batch file that saved just the File Explorer settings that may have been customized...like in the view. Also, I believe that Index is set on drive c:...at least that is what I see in Drice C: properties.

MPSAN, Apr 12, 2017
  6. MPSAN Win User
    I did look at Everything by Void tools. It sure looks like it will work very well, but is it overkill? We use 64 bit Win 10 and 32GB of memory so it should be OK, but it seems to have so many options.

MPSAN, Apr 13, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    I prefer the others- Everything runs a service that sometimes uses a tad more resources. To get the GUI selection options you need to run 1.4beta last I looked to get anywhere near what the others offer.

Overkill? These are small programs. Hugely more convenient than trying to specify an explorer search such as:

*Boots* kind:videos size:>2000000 date:11/05/08..11/12/10
    See
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

(That's a search for a video file containing boots in the name, with a size and date range- and you can't do that in Cortana's search ...)

These tools have simple GUI options where you don't have to look up the syntax. And did I mention they are fast- searching anything across all disks and partitions?

dalchina, Apr 13, 2017
  8. MPSAN Win User

Great...perhaps I can then look at locate32. Is the db automatically updated? If my wife adds a file or folder, will it show or does the db have to be manually updated?
    I want to find something else my wife can use besides File Explorer. On my system I can do a search for q-dir.exe...or anything and it will find it or a list. It is fast enough. However, I am not sure just what my wife could have configured but whenever she does a search, it will never complete. If I try a q-dir.exe on her system it never does find it, but it also never completes and yes her drive is indexed and show hidden is there. It would be good to see if something like locate32 would resolve this.

MPSAN, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup File Explorer settings? - Similar Threads - Backup File Explorer

2. Reverting setting for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverting setting for File Explorer: I want to delete unnecessary files from my external hard drive recycle bin to get more space in the hard drive. I do have the instructions as to how to do that. But my question is: After you delete these files, how do you revert the File Explorer settings to normal. After all...
  3. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer: Following recent updates on Windows 10 on both my PC And Laptop I am no longer able to see all the files on my external hard drive. It is a WD My Cloud and File Explorer now only shows Music, Photos and Videos and not the Smartware folder containg my backups. The folder is...
  4. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer: Following recent updates on Windows 10 on both my PC And Laptop I am no longer able to see all the files on my external hard drive. It is a WD My Cloud and File Explorer now only shows Music, Photos and Videos and not the Smartware folder containg my backups. The folder is...
  5. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

6. settings & file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings & file explorer: settings, file explorer and a couple of others don't open to the desktop and remains minimised in toolbar so how do I bring them to the screen even after windows update and restarting didn't help. I can see them in a small box window and they seem to be opened but only in a...
  7. settings & file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    settings & file explorer: settings, file explorer and a couple of others don't open to the desktop and remains minimised in toolbar so how do I bring them to the screen even after windows update and restarting didn't help. I can see them in a small box window and they seem to be opened but only in a...
  8. settings & file explorer

9. File Explorer Setting

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Setting: Hi Folks, I am trying to get File Explorer in Win10 to look more like Win7. How do I remove these seemingly un needed 7 Folders as in my image. - [img] 164289
  10. File explorer view settings

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view settings: I know how to set the view display when browsing folders, but if I use the search facility, the default view is always Content. I would rather the default view for searches, and indeed all views in File Explorer, to be Details. How do I change the default? 105136