Windows 10: backup files from more than 1 machine

Discus and support backup files from more than 1 machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I have several laptops in the family all running windows 10. I have two questions Question1 I want to back them all up to one external drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by maxelcat, Jul 16, 2018.

1. maxelcat Win User

backup files from more than 1 machine

Hi

I have several laptops in the family all running windows 10. I have two questions

Question1

I want to back them all up to one external drive. When I set up backup options (in settings) it doesn't give me the option to create a folder to put each back up - it just searches and uses the extranal drive on E.

So... can I back up more than 1 device to one external drive?

Question 2

For some time I have been backing up one laptop to an external drive. When I look at settings its says 'seagate backup drive E:' - which is what I'd expect. And it says it backing up fine. However, when I use file explorer to search the external drive I can't see any files/folders on there indicating a back up. (However, when I do restore files, it shows them all fine), Why can't I see them in file explorer - I would like to for my peace of mind really

thanks

Edward

:)

maxelcat, Jul 16, 2018
  2. Steevo Win User

Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Get the six core CPU's I listed, at 3.3Ghz per core they will more than handle any calculations you throw at them for years to come, and with matching RAM in tri channel you will have a very strong setup.

My only other suggestion is a full RAID card like the one I listed with SSD's (in RAID 1)for the OS and programs, and then a RAID 5 array for backup and any large files on the board with a offsite final backup

Steevo, Jul 16, 2018
  3. twilyth Win User
    Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Jul 16, 2018
  4. georgetok Win User

Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Thank you so much.

Dell system I am buying as a back has Xeon E5645 2.2 GHz & 12 GB ECC RAM

They don't offer Xeon W3680 that you suggested

So would that be good enough ?

Thanks

georgetok, Jul 16, 2018
Thema:

1. backup files from more than 1 machine - Similar Threads - backup files more

2. How to save more than 1 windows backup on a network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to save more than 1 windows backup on a network drive: In Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Back up and Restore Windows 7, if I click Manage Space:It says, "Your backups are being saved on a network. Only the most recent system image will be retained, and the Change Settings button is greyed out:How do I change settings so...
  3. How to save more than 1 windows backup on a network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to save more than 1 windows backup on a network drive: In Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Back up and Restore Windows 7, if I click Manage Space:It says, "Your backups are being saved on a network. Only the most recent system image will be retained, and the Change Settings button is greyed out:How do I change settings so...
  4. Multiple desktops on machines with more than one display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple desktops on machines with more than one display: Hi there,I've got a suggestion that I don't know where to share and I don't have time to look through all the discussions. If someone finds it interesting and knows where to post it, please let me know. I really love working with multiple desktops on Windows. I usually work...
  5. More than 1 sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    More than 1 sign in: I have windows 10. I have had only one microsoft account that is an auto sign in and I don't remember what the old password was. Now I have a another account that I want to be separate from the first one. When signing in, there is the date and time page; then there is the...
  6. Connect more than 1 pc with RDP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect more than 1 pc with RDP: Connect more than 1 pc with RDP, I can connect just one. any people help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connect-more-than-1-pc-with-rdp/e3dcc8f5-a263-4d20-bef9-21d94eedf4ab
  7. scanning more than 1 document

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    scanning more than 1 document: I have a PIXMA MG5520 Scanner and I'd like to know how to put 2 or more scanned documents in 1 file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/scanning-more-than-1-document/dc0d4ef8-f066-4eca-b052-c52b8c09d687
  8. Backup saving more than requested

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup saving more than requested: I have three physical hard drives on my computer. Backup is set to save things to Drive E, a physical disk different from Drive C. Despite changing the settings to include only my personal folder and Drive C, backup continues to back up physical Drive D (the box for that is...
  9. Homegroup displays more machines than now exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup displays more machines than now exist: I have a small network of computers and Homegroup is working a little to well. The network has had to have some changes, machines converting to W10 and changing names. The problem is there does not seem to be a way to refresh the Homegroup list of machines that have joined...
  10. Boot loop and more than 1 monitor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot loop and more than 1 monitor: hey guys i found my problem. i thought i was having a infinite boot loop. I'll give some background to the scenario. #1 Upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10Pro(64) #2 Installed fine, but borked all installed games on steam, couldnt load a single one. A laundry list of...