Windows 10: backup GPT partition table

Discus and support backup GPT partition table in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; What is the native way to backup and restore my GPT partition table in Windows 10? When I Google this subject the only people that seem to care... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sgt panties, Dec 23, 2015.

1. backup GPT partition table

What is the native way to backup and restore my GPT partition table in Windows 10?

When I Google this subject the only people that seem to care about this are Linux admins.

:)

sgt panties, Dec 23, 2015

2. Can BitLocker encrypt a system partition that uses GPT?

Original Title: BitLocker GPT Support (Guid Partition Table)

Can BitLocker encrypt a system partition that uses GPT?

george.buk, Dec 23, 2015
  3. Secure Boot on Windows 10

GUID Partition Table (GPT)

PhillipLane1, Dec 23, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

backup GPT partition table

Interesting question. Mine gets backed up when I image the drive using Macrium Reflect.

Ztruker, Dec 24, 2015
  5. I've had bad experiences with Disk Manager being able to read my system OK, but after telling it to do something --like change a drive letter or the size of a simple basic partition, I lose other partitions, or they get set to "raw". I want to be ready next time. (BTW I'm talking about an SSD, if that makes a difference.) I skimmed the Deployment Tools Reference but I didn't find anything. What I'm asking for it would seem is a pretty basic tool. Hard to believe there's nothing native.

sgt panties, Dec 24, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    Operations you just now described can be handled natively with diskpart: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=WS.10).aspx

Word Man, Dec 24, 2015
  7. Thank God. What is the command to backup the GPT partition table. I must be missing it.

8. Word Man Win User

I pointed you at diskpart more specifically because of the things you mentioned in post #3, not specifically for your question in your 1st post.

When you say "backup and restore my GPT partition table", it's a little confusing at to what specifically you're after. GPT itself stands for "GUID Partition Table". That is, GPT is a disk partitioning scheme.

Is it an entire disk that is created with GPT layout that you want to backup and restore? There is native backup for your disk, whether it be in GPT layout or MBR, at Control Panel / System and Security / Backup and Restore (Windows 7), in Windows 10.

I'm not a fan of that means and use Macrium Reflect for doing entire disk images.

Word Man, Dec 24, 2015
  9. I believe all that's getting wiped out is the partition table info, just the structure information of what sector each partition starts at, etc. There are typically only a handful of data files on each partition that I want to save, so I have my own very efficient backup scheme, but obviously when I lose several partitions all of a sudden it throws a wrench into my works.

10. Here's a link that describes better what I want.

Repairing GPT Disks

...but it's for Linux.

11. Word Man Win User
    Sorry, but same as ztruker, I don't rely on native means but use Macrium Reflect for full disk images and don't worry specifically about the GPT headers and various specific components of it. I'm not surprised that you're only landing your searches in a Linux context - that may be because there are no longer any Windows native capabilities for manipulating/copying data of this type at such a detailed level - and that, in Microsoft's eyes at least, may be for good reason.

I can suggest no more than how I would pursue an understanding by starting at these 3 links, in order of progression from Linux to Windows context:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...artition_Table

GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Good luck and sorry I couldn't directly answer your specific question.

Word Man, Dec 24, 2015
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

It's always wise to make a backup before touching any partitions.
    One of the big plusses of Macrium Reflect Free is that it allows you to backup and restore any partition and even shifting them around if you'd want to do so.

Learn how to use this program and you'll stop thinking about backing up partition tables GPT or MBR.

Image source:

http://www.partition-tool.com/resour...n-gpt-disk.htm

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. backup GPT partition table - Similar Threads - backup GPT partition

2. Invalid partition table error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid partition table error: Hello my computer that recently corrupted with using the windows in recovery USB it says invalid partition table on my dell latitude E6440 what can I do I tried updating the BIOS but that didn’t work does anyone know how to fix it thanks galaxy...
  3. Invalid partition table error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid partition table error: Hello my computer that recently corrupted with using the windows in recovery USB it says invalid partition table on my dell latitude E6440 what can I do I tried updating the BIOS but that didn’t work does anyone know how to fix it thanks galaxy...
  4. Invalid partition table error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Converting from an MBT to a GPT partition table in preparation for a Windows 10 installation.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Converting from an MBT to a GPT partition table in preparation for a Windows 10 installation.: Hey everyone! Hope you all can help me out with this. Excuse me if this is a rather elementary issue; I'm not particularly experienced with these sorts of issues. I've been trying to install Windows 10 on my machine (currently running Windows 7) using a bootable USB, but...
  6. Corrupted Partition Table

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupted Partition Table: How do I fix a hard drive with a broken partition table, I have tried the following: *diskpart - tried cleaning it with this but failed * - list volume it only shows my USB which is the one I am using to install Windows *bootrec /fixmbr - Gives me "access...
  7. Partition sсheme GPT

Partition sсheme GPT: Hi , i have EFI and windows 10. I want to install Windows Thin(32bit) but in a program like Rufus I can only choose MBR and NTFS. I cant install. How to write to a USB Windows Thin with GPT and FAT32. Did you know live usb with installation Windows Thin? 143203
  8. Invalid partition table

Invalid partition table: I have just cloned a hard drive using Macrium Reflect. Normally this works perfectly but this time, on start with the new drive installed I get a message that says 'Invalid partition table!' I can hit <enter> and proceed into the system. I would like to get rid of this...
  9. Invalid partition table error

Invalid partition table error: Hi, I am using a Dell Latitude 3550 laptop. I had two OSes (Windows 10 + Linux) on this system. Today I decided to remove Linux and use just Windows 10. I removed through Disk Manager the two partition belonging to Linux (root and swap), and extended my Windows volume to...
  10. Partition oddity with GPT

Partition oddity with GPT: I was going to do a Linux Mint upgrade and ran into a partition problem. I had an overlapping partition. I got that straightened out, but when I run Gparted I get the following message and would like to repair the partition table accordingly. While it is a Linux message; the...