Windows 10: Backup Programs Won't Image

Discus and support Backup Programs Won't Image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have the paid version of Macrium and also Aomei Backupper programs. I have always used Macrium and scheduled image backups once a week. Last Monday I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by stealth2920, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Backup Programs Won't Image

I have the paid version of Macrium and also Aomei Backupper programs. I have always used Macrium and scheduled image backups once a week. Last Monday I noticed the scheduled backup didn't work. I tried to manually backup and the program goes to 1% and freezes to the point that I have to task manager it off and reboot computer. Tried Aomei and the exact same issue. I ended up cloning the C drive which worked fine. Thinking it might be a Win 10 issue, I restored previous backups and that worked with no problem. Neither programs still would not image. Here's what I have tried so far.
    Ran the scannow and came back with no errors.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the backup programs
    Ran chkdisk with no errors.
    Ran the disk clean up.
    I now think maybe another program or something that just updated might be interfering but no clue what that might be. Neither program works in safe mode. Is there a way to boot the computer without other programs, but so Macrium still would work? I have seen where others have said that they have an issue with these programs taking longer to back up since there update, but mine won't image at all. Will clone and restore with no problem.

:)

stealth2920, Apr 5, 2017
  2. PVWebb Win User

full backup of Windows 10 to restore entire image

The backup utility in Windows 10 appears to only backup and sync data. It doesn't appear do a full backup of the entire disk image. I'm looking for a Windows 10 backup that works when Windows 10 won't boot. I don't want restoring by restoring Windows
    10 back to the factory default, then reinstalling all the programs, then restoring all the data. Microsoft has made Windows 10 very difficult to clone disk with the OS and still be a bootable image.

PVWebb, Apr 5, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    HOW BACKUP WINDOWS 10 FORM A DESKTOP PC

To backup your data folders (Documents, Music, etc.) you can simply copy and paste to a USB drive. To automate the process, get backup software. There are a lot of backup software programs, and most of them have free trials. Try a few programs and see which
    you like best. Start with Backup4All.

To backup your entire hard disk you need disk imaging software. This is a little tricky to understand, so do some basic research on the web about disk imaging before you start. As with backup software, there are many good imaging programs so try a few and
    see what appeals to you. Start with Macrium Reflect.

Backing up is one of the most important things a computer user can do. It's worth the effort spent to learn about it, so take your time and develop a good understanding. With backups, you won't have to worry about losing data, no matter what happens to your
    computer.

BulldogXX, Apr 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Backup Programs Won't Image

Anything in event log to say what's wrong? Getting a few of these were are you backing up to you set a user to run this does that user have full rights on the folder your backing up to you can't backup to root of a drive

Samuria, Apr 5, 2017
  5. I am the only admin user on the computer with full rights. Like I said everything backed up normally for years until this past Monday when the scheduled as usual backup did not work and imaging hasn't worked since. Downloaded Aomei to make sure it wasn't a Macrium issue and the same result. However I can clone and restore with either program with no problem. Ran event log and no errors and no event mentioned the backup. Tried backing up to other SSD's with the same result.

stealth2920, Apr 5, 2017
  6. I just got an update to Macrium Reflect maybe that was the cause.

Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2017
  7. I wish it was that easy. Thats why I downloaded Aomei to see if another backup program would work. Same exact issue with Aomei. Anyone know how to boot up my computer without the installed software etc. booting up? Macrium won't work in safe mode so looking for another option. Only thing I can think of why all backup programs won't work as of the past week. I haven't made any hardware changes but installed software got updates I am sure.

stealth2920, Apr 5, 2017
  8. Backup Programs Won't Image

I do not have any issues. Maybe if you remove it and re-install it? Or maybe your backup destination is corrupted. I never had this happen to me using any backup program. Maybe try an in place repair upgrade on you Windows 10.

Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2017
  9. As I stated in my first post. I have done all that. I even restored a past backup and still didn't work. I never had problems before and have used it since it came out. Right up until last week.

stealth2920, Apr 5, 2017
  10. Contact Macrium Support. It seems that you have done everything you can do..

Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2017
  11. After re-reading both of your responses I decided to run chkdsk on all four of my SSD's. All came back with no errors. Thinking about your statement about a corrupted disk, I decided to run the backup to another SSD. It worked perfect as in the past. Took about 11 minutes for the backup and was verified. Now I am going to mess with the original backup drive to see what it's problem is. Can restore the backups and can transfer files to it but it seems you can't write to it. Anyway case closed, thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

stealth2920, Apr 5, 2017
  12. Samuria Win User
    Just because your administrator doesn't mean you have rights to write to all folders some can be owned by system which you can't write to of admin can be blocked

Samuria, Apr 5, 2017
  13. Backup Programs Won't Image

In case you can't read, I posted the solution and closed the problem. My disk or folders were never blocked. It appears to be a bad sata connector as the disk is fine.

stealth2920, Apr 6, 2017
  14. RolandJS Win User
    Samuria said:
    Backup Programs Won't Image [​IMG]

Just because your administrator doesn't mean you have rights to write to all folders some can be owned by system which you can't write to of admin can be blocked
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What I suspect happened is that the very helpful Samuria began at the beginning, read through part of the thread, decided to jump in with a possible solution before reading the entire thread. I have done that before also.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup Programs Won't Image

1. Backup Programs Won't Image - Similar Threads - Backup Programs Won't

2. image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    image backup: Can i use a sata hard drive to make a image of my win 11 computer that has a ssd indtalled then use the sata hard drive to restore the ssd if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-backup/96d56eff-828e-440f-8a87-9531fc87921f
  3. image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    image backup: Can i use a sata hard drive to make a image of my win 11 computer that has a ssd indtalled then use the sata hard drive to restore the ssd if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/image-backup/96d56eff-828e-440f-8a87-9531fc87921f
  4. Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Image Backup: I have successfully used Macrium Reflect in the past to create an image backup on a machine running Windows 8.1 that had Microsoft Office 2010 installed on it. I have recently bought a new computer running Windows 10 and have a a subscription to Office 365 on it. For some...
  5. Image Backup

Image Backup: I Am Trying To Make A Windows Image Backup. I Have 3 Drives, CSSD System Drive, DSSD Games And EHDD Storage, When I Try To Make An Image It counts C And E As System Drives Almost 600 GB. I Cant Find Any Way To Unselect Drive E Help. I Have Attached A Screenshot THX[IMG]...
  6. won't backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    won't backup: windows 10 64b; installed new larger backup drive, but keep getting file history disconnected or dn recognize drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wont-backup/553b7e22-66dd-450c-b205-a0e85c53b186
  7. Alternative (And Free) System imaging and backup programs?

Alternative (And Free) System imaging and backup programs?: hi, I'm looking for an alternative to windows 7 backup and restore, ive had several problems now with it and I'm pretty sure its going to be depreciated and eventually removed in a future release of windows 10, that and i think my main hdd drive will eventually fail soon, ive...
  8. image backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    image backup?: Your're welcome. Now make an image backup of your system so you can always recover to a fully functional computer. image backup? you mean iso? and how? 50301
  9. How to backup my MS Office program as an iso image?

How to backup my MS Office program as an iso image?: I have decided to clean install my os since I am facing a lot of issues after the anniversary update. I already backed up my other programs and files.But the dilemma I am facing now is backing up my Office 2016 program which I downloaded through the 'Get Office' app.Since my...
  10. Image backup.

Image backup.: Trying to do an image backup in W10 "The drives that are required for windows to run will be included by default." The os is on disk drive c Another internal disk drive, H is classified by w10 as a system disk and also has to be backed up by default. Both C and H are...