Windows 10: Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer permissions issue

Discus and support Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer permissions issue in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Several months ago I built a new PC and installed Windows 10. Before this, I had no problems backing up my 4 internal drives with AOMEI (also on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dumbperson, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer permissions issue

Several months ago I built a new PC and installed Windows 10. Before this, I had no problems backing up my 4 internal drives with AOMEI (also on Windows 10). But now I've tried about 6 popular backup programs, and they all only backup the C drive (The C drive is a new SSD to this PC) and some folders & files from the other internal drives. A friend thinks it's a Windows 10 permissions issue. I followed an online tutorial he sent me to change the permissions within the advanced security settings for the folders on the internal drives, where I added my current user account as the owner of the folders and sub folders. He also had me use VSS in the backup software settings. None of these solutions worked. So I even copied everything from all the drives to an 8TB drive, formatted the three internal drives (except c drive), went through the permission changes again on the formatted drives, and ran AOMEI backupper again. Same results. One of the drives' folders didn't show up in the backup at all, and the other two drives backed up all the sub folders, but very few files. I'm not a technical person, so dumbed down advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

:)

dumbperson, Dec 30, 2017
  2. shinsenai Win User

OneDrive keeps crashing in Windows 10

I had the same problem, but due to yet another issue. In my case the C:\Users\[username] folder was not accessible. I reset the permissions on the folder (just say yes when you get a dialog box prompting this) and OneDrive works again. In my case I think
    it had to do with a restore of a few files from a backup. When the backup program restores the files, it tries to reset the permissions as well, but since the backup was done on a different computer, the user ids did not match. Lesson learned: restore the
    files in a temporary folder not directly in the user profile.

shinsenai, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Internet Explorer 11 crashing on Lumia 520

Lumia 520, windows 8.10.14219.341

Yesterday's backup cursed the explorer problem, since this failed backup my explorer won't start up any more. Reset to factorysettings didn't solve the problem, no I have a windowsphone I can't use and I'm super happy Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer permissions issue :(

The Lumia is waiting in his box, a 650 with win 10, But I don't think that I wil use it, I'm very happy with "here drive" and "here maps", but with win10 this apps won't work any more, I'm now mor happy because I bought a lifetime license.

Lucky, my tablet is an android and I wil have no windows issue's.

woodexpress, Dec 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer permissions issue

Hi, I've not heard of such a problem.. I assume you can access the data on the other drives using any other program you have installed.. please confirm that you can browse to files and folders on those drives.

It would be helpful if you can post some screenshots showing e.g.
    - file explorer accessing D: (assuming D: is on a different physical drive)
    - one (or more) disk imaging program demonstrating their failure to access the other drives
    - a screenshot of your disks and partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard (free)

I find that difficult to understand if you are actually using disk imaging.
    Or are you doing file backup?

dalchina, Dec 30, 2017
Thema:

Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer permissions issue

1. Backup programs won't work, so I think it's Explorer permissions issue - Similar Threads - Backup programs won't

2. I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/: So I've been having applications acting strangely, where I would have to launch steam as admin to play certain multiplayer games etc.. Now I'm trying to make a game in Unreal Engine 4.27 and it won't let me export it!! I was messing with the settings on some permissions...
  3. Permission to backup files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission to backup files: When trying to back up certain files on idrive, I get a backup failure notice with some files marked:[Information] [12/01/2021 8:45:10] [[C:\ProgramData\Documents\][There is no permission to backup the folder]][Information] [12/01/2021 8:45:10]...
  4. My PC has random BSoD and odd permission issues I think

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC has random BSoD and odd permission issues I think: Hello,I've been trying to solve my issue for days now with none of the usual solutions working out.Current situation is like this:My PC runs smoothly until one random moment when it just crashes and blue screen of death appears. What's the error code of the bsod? Any, every...
  5. Permission issues / Pin not working

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permission issues / Pin not working: Hi there, Today I've got a strange issue on my machine. The screen saver started and when I went back to my PC I couldn't resume it. I had no choice but switch off the computer When I restarted I checked the event viewer and I noticed this Code: The application-specific...
  6. paranoid? i dont think so

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    paranoid? i dont think so: So when I jiggled my mouse this morning I see that there is a giant calculator pad open on my desktop. I did not have it open and my cursor was not really my cursor as I tried to navigate through the opened Microsoft page I realized its navigating it self and closing what I...
  7. paranoid? i dont think so

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    paranoid? i dont think so: so when I jiggled my mouse this morning I see that there is a giant calculator pad open on my desktop. I did not have it open and my cursor was not really my cursor as I tried to navigate through the opened Microsoft page I realized its navigating it self and closing what I...
  8. Backup Programs Won't Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Programs Won't Image: I have the paid version of Macrium and also Aomei Backupper programs. I have always used Macrium and scheduled image backups once a week. Last Monday I noticed the scheduled backup didn't work. I tried to manually backup and the program goes to 1% and freezes to the point...
  9. Robocopy backup won't work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Robocopy backup won't work: I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e This command works fine on my laptop But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason It...
  10. Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Java programs (I think) only working on Primary Monitor: As of a software uipdate last night (I am trying to find out the contents of it), my Java Apps are only working on the main display. I have a Latitude E7250 and was running the laptop screen and 2 external screens. Initially I thought that it was only the laptop screen...