Windows 10: Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards

Discus and support Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This could be one of the ridiculous post have ever made. But, I have been wondering what will happen if I backup all of the registry keys, reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by unidentified, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards

This could be one of the ridiculous post have ever made. But, I have been wondering what will happen if I backup all of the registry keys, reset Windows 10, and then restore the registry keys? Will it affect device driver? Will the device be bricked?

:)

unidentified, Sep 7, 2016
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User
    Ugo Lopez, Sep 7, 2016
  3. Ugo Lopez Win User
    Ugo Lopez, Sep 7, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards

No. You could but it will not work as you expect it to.

Assuming you back up and restore your registry what do you expect will happen?

Firstly after you restore your registry (which is only a database) will say "I have my drivers here". Then you restore and they are not there any more.

Why? Because your drivers are in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore directory and you've now overwritten it. This is not part of your registry database but if you restore the old version of your registry it will look for drivers here and they simply will not exist.

Next you may have installed some programs. Their paths will also be saved in the registry database but they will not exist as you have overwritten C:\Program Files or whatever.

Your device will not be bricked (probably) but it will not work well if you do this.

A clean install (or restore) would be better. There are very few times restoring your registry would be a good idea. Pretty much the only time is to load the last known good configuration after a failed boot but even that almost never works.

Don't do it, but, if you do (for fun or learning), make a backup first.

lx07, Sep 7, 2016
  5. Thank you for your explanation!

unidentified, Sep 7, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Hope it helped. It is almost never a good idea to restore the registry.

CCleaner for example lets you back it up before "cleaning" it. You would have to be mad to restore the backup later the same day - let alone the next week or after doing a restore.

If I was you I'd ignore it. If something doesn't work it is faster and better to in-place upgrade than faff around with the registry. Definitely don't use any sort of "cleaner" or "optimizer"

20 years ago sometimes the registry was a problem and got big and made things slow. Today it doesn't.

lx07, Sep 7, 2016
  7. I see. That is why I saw some of my friends' devices have some sort of 'registry cleaner' software installed and claiming that it could optimizes their device.

unidentified, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards

1. Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards - Similar Threads - Backup Registry Reset

2. How to backup and restore the Windows 11 registry?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup and restore the Windows 11 registry?: I'm new to Windows 11 I'm running 23H2, 22631.3447. I would like to install a piece of software namely, Winaero Tweaker that will likely make changes to the Windows 11 registry. I would like to backup the registry in case problems arise. How do I perform a one-time backup of...
  3. How to backup and restore the Windows 11 registry?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to backup and restore the Windows 11 registry?: I'm new to Windows 11 I'm running 23H2, 22631.3447. I would like to install a piece of software namely, Winaero Tweaker that will likely make changes to the Windows 11 registry. I would like to backup the registry in case problems arise. How do I perform a one-time backup of...
  4. Registry Backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backups: Based on a lot of Googling and information from this forum I created the below batch file to backup my Windows 10 registry from an elevated cmd prompt. Everything is working perfectly but I have a question on what I'm backing up. Are there other registry hives/locations that...
  5. Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting

Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting: Windows 10 (64Bit) If a PC's registry is backed up to a USB flash drive and after messing with the registry, for some reason, it won't boot normally. How do you restore the registry's backed up image? If I run a LiveCD (USB), that will only run with the portable Windows. The...
  6. Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting: Windows 10 (64Bit) If a PC's registry is backed up to a USB flash drive and after messing with the registry, for some reason, it won't boot normally. How do you restore the registry's backed up image? If I run a LiveCD (USB), that will only run with the portable Windows. The...
  7. Registry Backup & Restore

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Backup & Restore: After becoming disenchanted with the Windows Restore Point methodology, I’ve started taking manual registry backups using ‘RegEdit’. My query is that if I need to restore from one of these backups, does it completely replace the current contents of the registry, or, does...
  8. Registry backup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry backup.: Hi… I'm writing for help; I need to back up my computer registry in Windows 10. In an informative way, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-backup/dd995970-3925-4591-b11b-6d5f49ea968f
  9. How to backup and restore the Windows Registry

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to backup and restore the Windows Registry: Quick Jump What is the registry? Why backup the registry? Wait, can’t I just copy all the files as I would usually do to backup files? Method 1: Backing up and restoring the registry using the Registry Editor (not recommended) Method 2: Backing up the registry using System...
  10. Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup

Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup: Hello everyone. I just migrated over from the Seven Forums where I've gone for assistance since Win7 came out. That old computer's power supply finally lost its smoke this week. I have a new HP Pavillion desktop PC and have already done something stupid. Don't scold me, I'll...