Windows 10: Backup & Restore has wiped my HP Recovery partition

Discus and support Backup & Restore has wiped my HP Recovery partition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I hope someone can help with this... after my HP Pavilion laptop failed to boot, I used my Win10 recovery CD to boot the machine, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by allend66, Jul 7, 2016.

1. allend66 Win User

Backup & Restore has wiped my HP Recovery partition

Hi all,

I hope someone can help with this...

after my HP Pavilion laptop failed to boot, I used my Win10 recovery CD to boot the machine, then used a system image on an external (USB) Hard Disk. This repaired the C drive, WINRE partition and I think the 'no name' 260Mb system partition, but it has wiped my HP recovery partition (14Gb) and my DATA partition (1.3Tb).

Is there something I can use, like winundelete or something to get back my recovery partition?

Thank you for your time
    D

:)

allend66, Jul 7, 2016

2. Merge Partitions and re-install

Thanks for the update & for marking me the answer.

A successful reset is further proof the AOMEI Partition Assistant did a great job. Windows still knows where your partitions are & what to do with them. No need for further worry, that I can see. I'm about to download that tool again, despite the signature
    complaint. I went & looked at EaseUS & discovered it is trialware - not freeware. I still owe Terabyte a look, though, if they are still around.

A reset does not alter the recovery partition - only the Windows partition for sure (& maybe the EFI partition). Did you use the recovery partition to do the reset, or did you use the recovery USB drive? If the former, you've really iced it that there was
    no internal damage to that partition. But it was a bit by bit, sector by sector, identical copy of the original partition to the new location. I can't see how it could be internally damaged. Boot it again (SHIFT+Restart), maybe, & have it access your Windows
    system image backup on the external drive. Have it show you what is there -
    BUT do not restore the image.
    That I think would restore your old partition locations. The EaseUS backup you also made probably has the flexibility to restore the old partitions to the new locations - except the data partition won't
    fit anymore. You likely very soon will want to delete both those backups & make new ones.

I'm not sure what F9 does for an ASUS. I may have read it restores the BIOS to default settings - or maybe it presents other options to you, like to restore a factory image. However, you do not have a factory image. There's no harm to press F9 just to see
    what's there. Just don't do any of it. If it's just offering to "restore defaults", likely it means BIOS settings. This would, for instance, wipe out any boot option you had added.

I'll resume a search on how to add a boot option to my own recovery partition by the end of the month.

PCR Just PCR, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Monkey57 Win User
    Trojan:Win32/Dynamer!ac Malware or false positive?

Please use the MFG Backup Restore tool on the computer to backup the MFG Restore Partition to a USB Memory Stick (per reoccurring MFG reminder that has popped up since the computer was new) and delete the Mfg Recovery Partition
    with the tool, afterwards...

The recovery partition has many obsolete/non-supported promotional (junkware) apps, that may set off antivirus.

i.e.->

Click Start, type Recovery in the search field, and click on Recovery Manager
    when it appears in the program list to open the Recovery Manager window. Select the Remove
    recovery partition
    option and click Next. When prompted to verify that you want to delete the partition,
    select the Yes option, and click Next.

HP Notebook PCs - Removing the HP Recovery Partition | HP® Customer Support

The file in question is 'suspected' as a false positive 'by some', it is part of the MFG pre-installed junkware/promotional software residing in the MFG Recovery partition.. If you back up the partition per MFG recommendation; And remove it, with the MFG
    tool; you don't have to worry about whether it is a false positive or not; it is off the computer, and you are following the manufacturer's recommendation to back it up, in case your hard drive fails..

Note: The USB backup of the MFG Recovery Partition you create, is a Backup of the Original MFG installed OS (as well as, the MFG Recovery Partition on the D-Drive); If you upgraded to Win10, you will probably never use it; as Win10 has very good Restore/clean
    install methods (even if the system originally came with Win10, it is doubtful if you will use/need the MFG Recovery). If you ever clean install the OS the MFG recovery partition will be wiped.

Monkey57, Jul 7, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

Have you used Disk Management to verify that your recovery and data partitions really are missing? Perhaps they were restored but no longer have drive letters assigned. To access Disk Management right-click the start button and select. To post a screenshot:

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

A couple of free partition recovery tools that might help:

Free Partition Recovery Software - EaseUS Partition Recovery.

Free Partition Recovery Tool | MiniTool Software Solution

marsmimar, Jul 7, 2016
  5. Molyy Win User
    Molyy, Jul 7, 2016
  6. allend66 Win User
    ok, thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

The partitions weren't there after the refresh, the hard disk was just set up with the reimaged C drive (130Gb), the WINRE partition (735Mb) and system partition (260Mb) and unformated empty space. I rebooted into a boot disc of free Minitool Partition Wizard Home edition, and clicked the 'Partition Recovery Wizard' which found the two missing partitions. I recovered them but upon reboot into windows 10 they were both present but empty.

I used the trial copy of EaseUS Partition Recovery (1Gb free data recovery) but it only found 64Mb of the nearly 14Gb recovery partition. I didn't bother using it on my Data partition because that didn't have much I needed. So it looks like it's gone for good. A bit of a drag but nothing major. I'd prefer to have it but I'm not going to splash out the £33.79 for the replacement recovery media I investigated from HP technical support.

Thank you for your time.
    D

allend66, Jul 8, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    And, unfortunately, you have discovered why most of us won't touch Windows built-in backup and restore and use Macrium Reflect Free instead.

NavyLCDR, Jul 8, 2016
  8. marsmimar Win User

Sorry to hear things didn't work out. *Sad I concur with NavyLCDR about using Macrium Reflect Free. It's always worked whenever I've used it. The Windows imaging tool? Not so much. Thanks for posting back.

marsmimar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup & Restore has wiped my HP Recovery partition - Similar Threads - Backup Restore has

2. Wiped partition recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wiped partition recovery: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  3. Wiped partition recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wiped partition recovery: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  4. Restore recovery partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore recovery partition: I was working on the Disk Management window and saw there were 2 Recovery partitions like the image below with no name. One was 700MB and the other was 500MB. I could not perform any actions to both of them. After doing what I was doing in the disk management using a 3rd...
  5. Restore recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore recovery partition: I was working on the Disk Management window and saw there were 2 Recovery partitions like the image below with no name. One was 700MB and the other was 500MB. I could not perform any actions to both of them. After doing what I was doing in the disk management using a 3rd...
  6. Restore recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Wiping the free space in recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping the free space in recovery partition: I'm selling my laptop and deleting everything except the windows. Is there a way to securely wipe the free space in recovery and uefi partitions?i did the other volumes with cipher w in cmd but don't know how to address these drives with that command. submitted by /u/cs-k...
  8. Restoring recovery partition

Restoring recovery partition: I have a client who has Windows 10 running in a VM. He set the virtual boot drive size too conservatively, and now the update package for 1903 won't fit in the available space. I successfully added more space to his virtual drive, but when I went to grow the C partition to...
  9. how to restore a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to restore a recovery partition?: In order to expand my C drive, I needed to delete the little recovery partition that was at the end of it. But I still have it on a Macrium Reflect system image. Is there a way to restore it? It won't be in the same physical place, but I could still make room for it at the...
  10. Restoring rights for the Recovery partition?

Restoring rights for the Recovery partition?: HI. I changed the ownership and rights of the recovery partition (Recovery/WindowsRE/*Wim) and after that a pc reset to defaults of my Asus T100chi tablet/laptop failed twice. Now my tablet wont even boot past the Asus splash screen at boot. My question is how I can change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp recovery just wiped my hard drive how do iget windows 10 back

2. did a backup on my hp now hard drive wiped?