Windows 10: Backup strategy recommendations

Discus and support Backup strategy recommendations in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; A friend has asked me for help in setting up a backup strategy for her computer. I am way out of date on the best practices in this area. It's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by RhinoCan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Backup strategy recommendations

A friend has asked me for help in setting up a backup strategy for her computer. I am way out of date on the best practices in this area. It's a desktop computer currently running Windows 7 but she wants to bring it up to date with Windows 10 so I'm looking for a good backup strategy once we've done the upgrade.

I think the big question is what should be backed up and what shouldn't. We obviously need to do backups of her user data - she says she has lots of recipes and photographs - and they are presumably getting updated regularly in the form of new photos and recipes so I imagine we'd want a full backup of those at intervals with incremental backups in between full backups. What else should she back up to handle any reasonable contingency, including Windows crashes, hardware failures, etc.?

I realize this is a complex topic and would be quite content to be directed to a good, up-to-date tutorial.

:)

RhinoCan, Feb 3, 2016

2. How to undo "replace file" with pictures

You'd have to get them from your latest backup, assuming you make backups (which would be important considering the

average hard drive life span
    ).

Nothing can help now, but if you want to avoid ever having risk in the future from accidental over-writing a file, or a failure, here's the the Bare Minimum
    Backup Strategy
    that I recommend.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 3, 2016
  3. Backup

It can, but you have to turn it on. It's remarkably easy though, I wrote a little post called "The Bare Minimum Backup Strategy" describing the way I
    use it.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 3, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

5. *Eek Remember to backup the W7 installation before the W10 installation (just in case it goes wrong). *Eek

lehnerus2000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup strategy recommendations - Similar Threads - Backup strategy recommendations

2. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!: HiBit of a long start but I feel it's justified, as I hope you will see.I used Win7 and backed up by copying the Windows partition to another removable hard drive. Whenever Windows stopped working I could easily replace the non-working installation with the latest backup and...
  3. Recommendations on a backup regime

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommendations on a backup regime: Hi. I have a win 10 PC and want to back up data periodically. It's not mission critical, does not need to be live or daily backups.A. To this point I have been old-school and avoided cloud-based backup. I am still a hard-drive, disc-in-hand kind of person for reasons of...
  4. My backup strategy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    My backup strategy: I clone the primary SSD onto the clone one via Macrium. About once a month. Sometimes more often if major changes take place. Then I test it extensively make sure I can boot off of it. Furthermore, have a second machine that's clone of the primary machine, hardware and...
  5. Backup strategy advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup strategy advice: Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up for important things like documents and such. However, there's also some stuff that I don't need to be saved in multiple...
  6. Confused about Backup Strategies

Confused about Backup Strategies: I am in the process of acquiring a newer computer. It will be running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My thinking is to clone or make an image of all the programs on drive C: I was thinking of placing this file on an SSD. Is it possible to make this file available on the Cloud? I...
  7. Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy)

Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy): My Windows 10 system is Version 1909. I've been a reliable and consistent backer-upper, although until late last year always used Drive-Image. Because Macrium Reflect free edition is more widely-used, and I like it too, I switched to that when I got a new computer. But, as...
  8. Macrium Backup Strategy + What Happens if Backup Drive is Disconnected

Macrium Backup Strategy + What Happens if Backup Drive is Disconnected: Hi all. I've on the advice of this forum installed Macrium Free for disc imaging (it feels like a really well put together application) to provide an additional backup for my writing, but would appreciate some help with a few questions from experienced users: 1. The...
  9. SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy

SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy: Hi, I am about to create a new system. I have a SSD 500gb hdd (lets call it SSD), I will install my programs on. Then use my 4TB hdd (lets call it HDD-A ) for libraries (picture, music, ect). I am using macrium reflect free for backup. Question #1: I wonder how I should go...
  10. Windows 10 Backup Strategy Solution Suggestions

Windows 10 Backup Strategy Solution Suggestions: Hello All, I have only had one instance of a hard disk dying on me, and losing the data on that disk would have been devastating. Luckily, I used Carbon Copy Cloner on a weekly. That was on OS X and it really saved me at the time. The only backup I have in place right...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recommendations windows backup strategy