Windows 10: Backup the EFS encryption key file

Discus and support Backup the EFS encryption key file in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by desk77, Oct 17, 2017.

1. desk77 Win User

Backup the EFS encryption key file

Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker.
    I did some search online and I got the list of all encrypted files: there are thousands of files and belongs to Apps, like facebook, onedrive, inkscape and so on.
    So my questions are:
    • why did that message suddenly appear?
    • why are those files encrypted?
    • do those files have to be encrypted?
    • bitdefender has just found Gen:Trojan.Heur2.GZ.@FZ@bq2Abpn in temp folder. Could I have got a ransomware that is encrypting all files?
    Thanks in advance!

:)

desk77, Oct 17, 2017

2. Need guidance on decrypting Windows-encrypted files after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I tried your suggestion but the files still appear to be encrypted with EFS. Any suggestions on locating my EFS key used under Windows 7 (prior to the upgrade to Windows 10) on my backup C: drive and then applying the key to the encrypted files?

Thanks,

DS

darksquare, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 17, 2017
  4. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Hi desk77.

Anything is possible but I think the more likely cause is your linking to your University account. You said it started right after you linked. Talk to your University IT support staff and see if they are using or enforcing through group policies.

Assuming you have your data backed up please don't connect your back up until you either hear from IT or are 110% the infection is gone.

Do you know what the date was on your Trojan file?

Caledon Ken, Oct 17, 2017
  5. desk77 Win User
    I think the same thing but my university account was already linked to Windows and Office. In fact I didn't have to enter password again. So I can't explain what happens.

About the infection, the infected file is a .tmp file that was already deleted. Given that I have just upgraded to W10 FCU, maybe it was a temp installation file... now I'm doing some system scan with malwarebytes, zemana antimalware, bitdefender and eset to verify if pc is stillinfected

desk77, Oct 17, 2017
  6. Cool. Lets hope Bitdefender did its job.

Caledon Ken, Oct 17, 2017
  7. PolarNettles, Oct 17, 2017
  8. desk77 Win User

My IT support staff told me that it doesn't depend on them. So why did those message start to appear?
    Anyway, do you think I should make a copy of certificates on a external storage or try to decrypt all files?

desk77, Oct 17, 2017
  9. You should definitely get a copy of the keys.

Maybe scan your event viewer (filter) and look for the letters EFS. Hopefully your logs go back to the time when you linked OneDrive so you can see what else was happening.

Did you do anything else around the time of the account linking?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup the EFS encryption key file - Similar Threads - Backup EFS encryption

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer: One of our staff get EFS popup prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key as per screenshot below.We are not using EFS on this computer instead we are using BitLocker to encrypt all volumes on this computer.Double checked and run "CIPHER.EXE /U /N" and result...
  8. Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question: Before you encrypt anything important, A.you should back up your file recovery certificate and your B.personal encryption certificate with their associated private keys, C.as well as the data recovery agent certificate to a USB flash drive UFD. Store the UFD in a secure...
  9. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key: I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop...
  10. How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Whenever we encrypt any data, we need a simple key just to unlock it. Well, this key is everything. This key is the foundation of the security on the user’s front. And keeping it safe and secure is one of [...] This post How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows...