Windows 10: backup tutorial/advice needed

Discus and support backup tutorial/advice needed in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; i need to backup my complete pc as i am going to install the windows 10 preview. the trouble is that i havent got a usb hard drive. so how do i do this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jamos316, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jamos316 Win User

backup tutorial/advice needed

i need to backup my complete pc as i am going to install the windows 10 preview. the trouble is that i havent got a usb hard drive. so how do i do this and what software do i use to do this?

:)

jamos316, Oct 8, 2014

2. windows backup to usb

In addition to the advice, I would like to let you know that Windows backup features are deprecated and are planned to remove in future versions of Windows. I would suggest you to switch to Macrium Reflect:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backu...

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 8, 2014
  3. Windows 10 Backup doesn't recognize HDD

Even if you somehow correct this error, backups made using the in built backup utility can be useless in future as Microsoft plans to remove them in the future release. You need to switch to a 3rd party backup instead:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backu...

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 8, 2014
  4. backup tutorial/advice needed

Get your hands on a WinPE 4 of 5 iso and create a disk. The disk will boot to a windows command line. At the command line is a tool called DISM. With DISM you can create an image of your hard drive to your hard drive. Then you can boot back into windows and copy the image file where ever. You just need to have enough hard drive space to capture the image.

Warning it is not a GUI point and click kind of deal. Check out this.

Capture Images of Hard Disk Partitions Using DISM

EvilJenius, Oct 8, 2014
  5. Hi

You can also create a partition on your hard drive if you have the space, then back your C:\ drive up to the partition.

When you restore it will only replace the backed up part of the drive.

I like EaseUS TODO backup, it's free.

It is really easy to use, open it up, select System Backup, (it has a Windows logo on the button) check to make sure what it is backing up, tell it where you want to back it up, and select Proceed.

That's all there is to it, I've already used it twice to restore my Windows 10 installation.

It has a utility under tools that makes a bootable restore disk.

I'm dual booting if this is the computer you are using everyday I'd caution you against replacing your Windows install with Windows Technical Preview.

Dual booting it not hard to do, and your old install should be left alone so you always have something to fall back on.

I'd also recommend that you do buy an external USB hard drive.
    They are pretty cheap now and it's a lot safer then having all you stuff on one drive.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

backup tutorial/advice needed

1. backup tutorial/advice needed - Similar Threads - backup tutorial advice

2. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!: HiBit of a long start but I feel it's justified, as I hope you will see.I used Win7 and backed up by copying the Windows partition to another removable hard drive. Whenever Windows stopped working I could easily replace the non-working installation with the latest backup and...
  3. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!: HiBit of a long start but I feel it's justified, as I hope you will see.I used Win7 and backed up by copying the Windows partition to another removable hard drive. Whenever Windows stopped working I could easily replace the non-working installation with the latest backup and...
  4. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. need advice - daily backup program to buy??

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    need advice - daily backup program to buy??: Reaching out again for excellent team advice about your suggestion for best affordable drive backup program to purchase. Am losing random files and need to install daily automated document backup. Several good options around and asking here so I can get daily bakup installed...
  6. Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice

Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice: Dell cannot tell if the motherboard or the SSD is defective, so they are going to replace both under warranty. I have until now never had a two-drive computer, so I need advice on what to backup before the remove/replace is done. The replacement mother board will have Windows...
  7. Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice: Dell cannot tell if the motherboard or the SSD is defective, so they are going to replace both under warranty. I have until now never had a two-drive computer, so I need advice on what to backup before the remove/replace is done. The replacement mother board will have Windows...
  8. Backup strategy advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup strategy advice: Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up for important things like documents and such. However, there's also some stuff that I don't need to be saved in multiple...
  9. Backup Advice.

Backup Advice.: Hi, I need some backup advice. I have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB (RAID 1) storage and was wondering if I would need any other sort of backup device so I don't lose my valuable data? Maybe another NAS or an extra SSD 4TB? 141789
  10. Documents Backup advice

Documents Backup advice: Can anyone suggest a simple to use free programme to backup my documents folder to an external drive. Just a simple copy all documents and then any changes to the backed up folder, every hour. There seems so many to choose from and to be honest I am no computer expert and...