Windows 10: Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive

Discus and support Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi I have been trying to setup a scheduled backup (Windows 7 Backup and restore) on Windows 10. I want to include a system image of the C: drive as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Robotnic, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Robotnic Win User

Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive

Hi

I have been trying to setup a scheduled backup (Windows 7 Backup and restore) on Windows 10. I want to include a system image of the C: drive as part of the back up and save it to the D: drive. However Windows wont let me save the image on the D: drive, I think because I moved the location of my user files to the D: drive to save space on my SSD.

Does anyone know of a way to override or workaround this without having to move my files back to the C: drive?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Robotnic, Oct 8, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User

Windows 10: fails backup to system image

You should post a new question instead of replying to an old one.

Backup and System Image are not the same thing. System Image makes a complete single file of the whole drive (a "snapshot") and must be kept on an external hard drive to be accessed by booting to recovery media. It is
    not for backup and cannot be used for restoring individual files. It is similar to a windows installation image file complete with your programs and files. Backup is a separate process that should be setup in Windows Backup-File History to
    make continual incremental backups stored on external media. That will allow restoration of single files while system image is for a complete replacement of everything on the whole drive inc windows. Great to have when the hard drive fails. System images should
    only be made after major changes and upgrades are done since the image replaces the previous image.

This forum is not Microsoft Support. It is users helping other users with MS moderators.

mlg63, Oct 8, 2015
  3. JohnSci Win User
    WINDOWS 10 BUG - SYSTEM IMAGE

Windows 10 v1511 System Image fails to QNAP NAS. Also fails to Hitachi TOURO external hard drive, which was tried on all USB ports, including USB 3.0 and 2.0.

Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 worked!

Windows 10 System Image successfully saves the SYSTEM EFI partition to the NAS and External drives, but fails / generates error message when writing the Windows C: partition.

Errors from log files include...

1 Log file...

Backup of volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ has failed. The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation.

4 Log files...

Backup of volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ has failed. The specified backup disk cannot be found.

Despite the log file error messages the QNAP NAS and External drives are accessible at all times from Windows 10 File Explorer and other sync software such as SyncBack. The problem is Windows 10 System Image.

Other users have reported problems with Windows 10 System Image to large external hard drives which have been fixed by reformatting drive.

It should not matter the drive size or the allocation unit size.

Windows 10 System Image should just work with any drive that works with the Windows OS.

Frustrating, frustrating!!!

JohnSci, Oct 8, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Not that it's going to be very helpful but I do the same as you do yet Windows lets me backup to that drive issuing just a warning about the backup being on the same drive as the system. Other than that it just does its job.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 15, 2015
  5. Robotnic Win User
    Thanks fdegrove, but my back-up definitely failed. It's the option to include a system image that Windows objects to. I actually can make a separate system image manually but i could do with it being automated as my PC has much better memory! *Smile

Robotnic, Oct 17, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

By "User files" you mean which files exactly?
    In my case these are just the "Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos that I redirected to a D:\ partition on the same drive actually.

Either way, if the drive is big enough can't you just create another partition by shrinking the existing one and let Windows do the backup to that location instead ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive - Similar Threads - Backup system image

2. backup and restore system image fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  3. System Image Backup Drives

System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  4. Backup system image plus Users files

Backup system image plus Users files: When setting up Backups for the first time I was given the option of system image only or system image pus Users files. I chose the latter, but I want to change to system image only. But I can't find that option now. How do I change to system image only?...
  5. Windows System Image backup failing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows System Image backup failing: Win 10 Pro 1904. I run a System Image Backup via File History every week or so, and did so after installing 1904 last week. Today's run is failing. I did swap in a new nonsystem backup HDD earlier today that had been cloned previously and reestablished some drive letters (and...
  6. system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ?: welp, this hard drive is fubar. Can't create a system image in any program because certain LBAs cause every backup software to hang and fail. So the next best option is to just migrate user data. Will Chrome browser data and cookies be transferred properly? Last time I...
  7. Installing user files on 2nd drive

Installing user files on 2nd drive: When I installed Win7 years ago there was a script that i use to install user files to a second drive on install of Win7 Is there something like that on Windows 10 Thanks 146111
  8. System image backup failed

System image backup failed: System image backup failed FIRST ATTEMPT The backup failed The operation timed-out before the shadow copy was created on the storage location (0x80780036) Additional Information: The shadow copy provider timed out \while flushing data to the volume being shadow...
  9. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...
  10. "Create a system image" "The backup failed"

"Create a system image" "The backup failed": Windows 10 Pro Build 1809 fully updated Trying to create a system image. Steps followed: File History - System Image Backup New windows opens - "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" Click "Create a system image" Browse to external USB drive Process commences then this...