Windows 10: Bad System Config Info - unable to fix via RebuildBCD

Discus and support Bad System Config Info - unable to fix via RebuildBCD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently, I was browsing YouTube on my desktop when all of a sudden the power went out - causing a hard shut down. Upon turning it on, it seemed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by spongebot64, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Bad System Config Info - unable to fix via RebuildBCD

Recently, I was browsing YouTube on my desktop when all of a sudden the power went out - causing a hard shut down. Upon turning it on, it seemed to load longer than usual, before throwing a BSOD with Bad_System_Config_Info. Restarting it, a different one came asking for recovery media to be use for troubleshooting. As I looked through online guides, it seems that, somehow, the Boot Configuration Data was corrupted, and I am unable to "access devices" as the second blue screen indicated.

Using my recovery USB, I checked all volumes were assigned correct letters then tried using bootrec /scanos to ensure the BCD was still there, and /rebuildbcd finding it remained. Despite using the command, it brought the error "The requested system device cannot be found". Further reading has shown Windows RE not functioning fully in certain USB ports, yet switching from USB 3 to 2 somehow corrupted the recovery USB and wouldn't let it boot - prompting me to reinstall the media on it.

I'm still experimenting with other ports, sticking with USB 3 in case 2.0 ports actually affect the BCD on the recovery USB. If it fails, I'll try the 2.0 ports.

If the worst is expected and I have to reinstall Windows, I can resort to that, but that's at the detriment of having to reinstall everything even if they're on other drives.

:)

spongebot64, Jun 15, 2017

2. Bad system config info

This is a brand new laptop that I've only used a hand full of times. I keep getting a blue screen that says Bad System Config Info. And it says we will restart your computer. It tries to restart and then goes to the same blue screen. It just goes back
    and forth. I can't do anything.

JamieMcCarron, Jun 15, 2017
  3. BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO

Bad System Config Info - unable to fix via RebuildBCD [​IMG]

that
    is the error. And the system never completes it scanning and repairing processing

Tomjerry404, Jun 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Bad System Config Info - unable to fix via RebuildBCD

Hi, I would start with basic disk checks.

Please download and create Kyhi's boot disk at the top of the Software and Apps section here.
    Boot your PC from it and run
    HDTune - which offers a scan for errors too.
    and
    HDDScan - which includes a surface scan
    and post the results.

If ok, please run Minitool Partition Wizard from Kyhi's disk and post a screenshot.

You can try using Macrium Reflect's Fix Boot utility, again from Kyhi's disk and see if there's any improvement when you try booting.

Try running chkdsk on your Windows partition and report the result.

If your C: is still intact and recoverable, but the hard disk damaged, or the above procedures fail to repair damage to other areas, then there is one more thing to do:

a. Create a disk image of C:
    b. Reinstall Win 10
    c. Replace the newly created Windows partition by restoring the image of your old C:
    d. Run Startup Repair.

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  5. After having run HD Tune, it's recognised around 1.8% damaged blocks, and performing a benchmark immediately brought an error stopping it. Running HDDScan's surface test as I write.

6. Read and Verify Surface tests complete, Read found bad blocks. Advice to take from here?

7. dalchina New Member
    HDTune also looks at SMART params- see if any show as not OK.

The drive is suspect at least. The question that follows is whether C: is recoverable.
    One quite easy way to find out is to try creating a disk image of just C: - no others- using Macrium Reflect.

If any part is unreadable or corrupted, MR will fail with a CRC error.

That's the next step, and if that's ok, then you'd need a new disk and follow the outline steps I gave above.

We strongly and repeatedly recommend the routine use of disk imaging; having a maintained and updated image set means you could readily recover from this by restoring your image to a new disk.

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  8. Bad System Config Info - unable to fix via RebuildBCD

Tried Macrium and it gave me an MFT error. One chkdsk /r later, and the entire C: drive is backed up in an image. Should I be looking for a replacement primary drive for now?

spongebot64, Jun 17, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Have a look at the SMART params.

That you've been able to create an image suggests a lot of the drive is good- but you still presumably have an unbootable PC due to corruption elsewhere.

Safest way forward is a new drive. Then you can choose between a clean install, and replacing the newly created C: with your restored image. You may be lucky and have everything back up and running ok.

If you can run Hard Disk Sentinel at some point on your old drive, that gives a very clear indication.

dalchina, Jun 17, 2017
  10. Was unable to run Hard Disk Sentinel because icmp.dll was missing. Ran CrytsalDiskInfo and that too showed the drive heath was fine. Formatted the partition where Windows was, then restored the disk image; another HD Tune test showed only one block damaged.

Should I try formatting the entire disk and repeating the steps or should I remain cautious?

spongebot64, Jun 18, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    If Windows is booting ok, that's a good sign- I assume it is.

However
    Attachment 140223
    I wonder about your missing dll.
    Try running
    SFC /SCANNOW from an admin command prompt.

You should also check you can access recovery options (Recovery partition) e.g. by SHIFT + left click restart and navigating the menus to e.g. Safe Mode.

You have one other possible check I can think of- using a partition manager such as Minitool Partition Wizard, you can rt click a partition and do a surface test specifically on that partition. You can do that for each of the partitions required for Windows.
    Attachment 140221

You're aware of disk imaging, so maintain a good routine.
    Note to image Windows, in Macrium Reflect it's e.g. option Backup, Windows Backup - note all the relevant partitions are ticked.

dalchina, Jun 18, 2017
  12. Tried sfc /scannow. Brought up: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Tried minitool partition manager as well, but said it can't be run in Windows PE unless registered.

13. dalchina New Member

Not sure what you're doing...
    - why do you mention this?

Please confirm- can you boot to Windows and log in?

Please confirm that you were logged in and using an admin command prompt when you ran sfc /scannow

I get the impression you are booting from a bootable disk at present.

dalchina, Jun 18, 2017
  14. Sorry, excuse me for that. I tried booting but, by the logon screen, all I get is a black screen with most keyboard commands not working, except Win+P. Even then, this bring up symbols and corrupted text. So for now I'm still using Windows PE.

15. dalchina New Member
    I see- thanks for the clarification.

So although you have imaged C: successfully, it doesn't run.

I would suggest you will need to do a clean install.

Your image of c: is a full backup, which you can mount and from which you can extract any files you need.

dalchina, Jun 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Bad System Config Info - unable to fix via RebuildBCD - Similar Threads - Bad System Config

2. Bad system config info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad system config info: Hello! I have problem with my pc with hardware reserved ram and the blue screen "bad system config info". I have total 8gb ram and only 6 is usable.Then i saw videos and information to fix reserved ram in boot options in windows.After this change my ram still reserving 2 gb...
  3. How to fix Bad System Config Info

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix Bad System Config Info: This valentine's day I was meet with an unpleasant surprise. I was downloading a game and needed to free up space so I deleted other programs I did not need. I had left the game downloading while I showered. I came back to a black screen. I didn't think much of it because my...
  4. How to fix Bad System Config Info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix Bad System Config Info: This valentine's day I was meet with an unpleasant surprise. I was downloading a game and needed to free up space so I deleted other programs I did not need. I had left the game downloading while I showered. I came back to a black screen. I didn't think much of it because my...
  5. Bad System Config-Info

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad System Config-Info: My Laptop gave me the "Bad System Config Info" on the blue screen and after that the screen says "Preparing Automatic Repair" but never changes or shows any kind of loading after I let it sit over night. I have tried to launch into WinRE but it won't work no matter the method...
  6. BSOD BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO Fix

BSOD BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO Fix: I got this BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO bsod yesterday, i tried all method out there and still didnt work, resetting doesnt work, automatic repair doesnt work, system restore doesnt work, almost everything just didnt work, i tried cmd commands and still, same result, im stuck in...
  7. Bad system config info, how to fix this ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bad system config info, how to fix this ?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/gatsu2019 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g4nz9d/bad_system_config_info_how_to_fix_this/
  8. Bad system config info

Bad system config info: Bad system config info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-system-config-info/a004c111-41f4-410c-8858-294bdfcece64
  9. bad system config info

in Windows 10 Customization
    bad system config info: computer not booting in windows. get the message above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-system-config-info/0323eef5-9bcd-4ad7-9c64-12e201e88a24
  10. BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO: I’ve tried virtually everything I can find online and I’ve had enough of it. My computer has been in a “auto repair” “repair didn’t work” loop for like two weeks and I’m going insane, is there any way I can just use my computer and fix this? It doesn’t let me reset it and...