Windows 10: Basic information: desktop, start menu, create folders

Discus and support Basic information: desktop, start menu, create folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I won't move to 10 until I am convinced that certain options will be available. I need my desktop, as in 7. Will there be a start menu with all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bgraae, Jun 11, 2015.

1. bgraae Win User

Basic information: desktop, start menu, create folders

I won't move to 10 until I am convinced that certain options will be available. I need my desktop, as in 7. Will there be a start menu with all the options that exist in 7? Can I create folders to store programs, like in 7? There are other questions I have. I haven't found any site here that discusses all the aspects of 7 that we want on 10. Is there a site?

:)

bgraae, Jun 11, 2015

2. How to create folders in Windows 10 Start Menu? Problems with shortcuts

Some weeks ago I could create folders in the Start Menu of Windows 10; now I cannot.

I cannot do this in the Current User Start Up folder (in App folder; access by means of Alt+R, shell:start menu) nor in the All Users Start Up folder (in ProgramData; access by means of Alt+R, shell:common start menu). In both cases I can create the
    folder but it does not appear in the Start Menu.

Also: If I copy shortcuts from the Desktop to these Star Menu folders, the shortcuts do not appear in the Start Menu. Even the option to create shortcuts does not appear in the contextual menu (right mouse click) of the All Users Start Menu folder.
    The only way I found to create shortcuts to these folders is: create a shortcut in the Current User folder and copy it, if desired, to the All Users folder. To create a shortcut to the Current User folder I can also copy the EXE file and paste it in the current
    user folder as a shortcut.

Can all this be solved in my computer, or it is the normal way the current version of Windows 10 works?

PereCasanellas, Jun 11, 2015
  3. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Jun 11, 2015
  4. Basic information: desktop, start menu, create folders

Desktop: the desktop works well in Win10 - very much like it always has. The most notable changes are to Control Panel (Cpl) - there is a new Settings universal App that handles these functions now. It's still a work in progress, so it will take some time to migrate all Cpl functions to Settings.

There are some new features - use them if you like them. Most, if not all, previous features work in Win10 too - you might have to bring them out front and center - that's where the Tenforums tutorial section comes in handy. MS promotes the new features front and center in the UI because ... well, they're new.

Start menu: Yes, you can organize Desktop pgms into folders in your Start menu or the All Users Start menu. Start has gone through a number of iterations and it seems as though MS has settled on one that addresses both Win7 and Win8 users.

*Wink

There is a plethora of articles and sites that list the differences - but Win10 is in development, so some information might not be current. Microsoft can provide the definitive answers.

See if any of these links provide answers to your questions:
    Windows
    Windows 10 Features
    How to Upgrade to Windows 10
    Windows 10 FAQ Tips
    Windows 10 Specifications

Or the someone on Microsoft forums might have answered a specific question:
    MS Community: Windows Insider Program (threads)
    MS Community: Windows Insider Program (wiki)
    MS Community: Windows 10

Read though TenForums forums and feel free to ask specific questions, members are always glad to answer questions. General non-specific questions are very difficult to answer though ...

Slartybart, Jun 11, 2015
Thema:

Basic information: desktop, start menu, create folders

1. Basic information: desktop, start menu, create folders - Similar Threads - Basic information desktop

2. Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders: New computer, first time using Windows 11 Pro. I want to know how to add apps from the Start Menu to folders on the desktop. Example: I've downloaded several games and photo editing programs. I don't want to scroll through all apps in the Start Menu to find them. I want to...
  3. Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders: New computer, first time using Windows 11 Pro. I want to know how to add apps from the Start Menu to folders on the desktop. Example: I've downloaded several games and photo editing programs. I don't want to scroll through all apps in the Start Menu to find them. I want to...
  4. Basic Network Information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Basic Network Information: Hi All.I have a couple pcs/laptops connected to the internet , via a BT broandnabd RouterEach of the computers have static IP addresses , with the Bt Router as the Default Gateway and the Dns.All is working OK.However on one of the PC's the basic Network Info is howing...
  5. Basic Network Information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Basic Network Information: Hi All.I have a couple pcs/laptops connected to the internet , via a BT broandnabd RouterEach of the computers have static IP addresses , with the Bt Router as the Default Gateway and the Dns.All is working OK.However on one of the PC's the basic Network Info is howing...
  6. Basic Network Information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Create folders in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create folders in the start menu?: I have tried creating a folder in every known location to get an additional folder to show up in the start menu so I can throw some games and what not under it...does anyone have any idea how to do this? I've tried creating a folder named "Games" in the following:...
  8. create folders in start menu to organize

create folders in start menu to organize: In W7 I have created folders in the start menu so I can organize by topic. I can't figure out if/how to do that in W10. Any clues? 7446
  9. Create a "Start Menu"...

Create a "Start Menu"...: Here's a way to create a pretty convincing looking Menu using your Taskbar. Try it out yourself. (click on the image 2 or 3 times if you find it hard to read) [img] EDIT: You'll have to loose the Search Box and Taskview as well. 42173
  10. how to create sub-folders in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    how to create sub-folders in the start menu: I would like to organize my All Apps portion of the start menu in W10 as I did in W7. So far I have not figured out how to do this. There are a couple of problems. 1. Some programs just do not appear. I have one folder containing 3 shtcts. 2 appear and Uninstall does not. I...