Windows 10: Basic questions about DISM

Discus and support Basic questions about DISM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My wife's laptop has a corruption that sfc /scannow could not fix so I am going to try DISM. But first I have some basic questions. (And please forgive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pokeefe0001, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Basic questions about DISM

My wife's laptop has a corruption that sfc /scannow could not fix so I am going to try DISM. But first I have some basic questions. (And please forgive any incorrect terminology in the questions.)

Last Sept I used the MCT to build a USB flash memory with Win10 AU. I read in some Tenforums tutorial (which I can no longer find) that the ESD file on the device cannot be used with DISM. But DISM has a source:esd option. Doesn't that work? And even if it does, is it preferable to use an ISO with a .wim file as source?

Whether I do an ISO or USB options, should I download again and let the MCT include the latest fixes?

Assuming I create a medium with the latest fixes, what effect does the DISM "limitaccess" option have? Would it have any need to download anything? Or am I misunderstanding what "limitaccess" does?

Same question if I use my USB from last Sept. Would DISM have to get a lot of updated files in order to fix the corruption?

Update:
    I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. Last evening I downloaded the Win10 1607 ISO and it had an Install.esd rather than an install.wim file.

I'm going to forge ahead using the install.esd, but just I'm curious now. How so I get the install.wim file?

:)

pokeefe0001, Jan 7, 2017
  2. Tom_WC Win User

Basic Questions About Windows 10 Photo App

Where are you seeing only twenty pictures? In the thumbnails or the full screen display? Do you see all 42 under Collection? How about when you change the Sources back to the Pictures folder?

As for your last question, create new folders in Explorer.

Tom_WC, Jan 7, 2017
  3. Basic Questions About Windows 10 Photo App

Re: Item 3. In "Folders" view, again where I have limited the Photos photo source to a single subfolder in my Pictures folder, the subfolder containing 42 images, I see only 20 of the 42 images. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Let's say I change the Picture source in Photos to encompass more folders containing pictures, e.g., now including my OneDrive Pictures folder. As I browse though the pictures in Photos, it occurs to me that a group of the photos needs to be organized in
    a new folder. Is there a way to create that new folder from within the Photos app?

Curmudgeon10, Jan 7, 2017
  4. Basic questions about DISM

I got an odd error. Or if not odd, one I don't understand. C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:G:\sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.14393.0 Image Version: 10.0.14393.0 [===========================92.7%===================== ] Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log The log is larger than is reasonable to post here. Other than an echo of the command, I see no reference to the .esd file. Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Update:
    It worked correctly when I omitted the LimitAccess. I'm not sure what that implies, but I'm relieved.

pokeefe0001, Jan 7, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    LimitAccess prevents DISM from accessing the Microsoft web pages (or other Internet resources) during the search for repair/replacement files. If it works when you don't include LimitAccess, that means it was able to find the files it needs online even if it can't find them on your PC. FYI, the proper syntax for ESD is a little different from that for WIM in the /source attribute, namely:
    DISM ... /source:ESD:R:\sources\install.esd:1
    Of course, you'll need to replace the italic text above (R:\sources\install.) with the correct path and filename for the ESD file to which you'd like to point.

HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: You may find these two blog posts of mine interesting in this connection
    Simple Trick Fixes DISM /source syntax issues - The Network Hub
    Another Worthwhile DISM Source "Trick" - The Network Hub

EdTittel, Jan 8, 2017
  6. Thanks. I found your "Trick" interesting. I'm a little confused about the WinSXS as source, though. Normally /source points to a file. Are you saying that it can also point to a drive that contains a copy the contents of a good WinSXS directory? If so, is there some other source specification (like /Source:wim: and /Source:esd: but different) to indicate the fact is is WinSXS? Or have I completely misunderstood what you were saying?

pokeefe0001, Jan 8, 2017
  7. EdTittel Win User
    If the source is neither WIM nor ESD, as with my second trick, you don't have to include the WIM: or ESD: at the head of the attribute value, nor point to a segment within the file (that's what the :1, :2, and so forth means at the end, and directs the search to the proper segment in a .wim file that includes x86 and x64 segments, as is often the case). Thanks for asking: you didn't misunderstand. I just probably failed to provide all of the information you needed. Keep asking questions: that's how you learn!
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 8, 2017
  8. Basic questions about DISM

Hah! I wondered what the ":1" stuff was about.

Thanks for your research into things like DISM. The answers to all my questions are probably available on the web but buried in piles of chaff. (I haven't even been able to find the complete syntax of the command, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.)

pokeefe0001, Jan 8, 2017
  9. EdTittel Win User
    DISM is big and hairy, with many, many command line options. The TechNet DISM Reference is a good all-around overview (but out of date, alas). I just keep using Google and searching my way into what I need to learn to do, and watching here and other Windows sites for usable nuggets of information.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Basic questions about DISM

1. Basic questions about DISM - Similar Threads - Basic questions DISM

2. DISM Questions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM Questions: Greetings, i am just experimenting with DISM restorehealth booting from recovery meda for times when I am attempting to repair a non booting machine. I understand the WIM or ESD must be the same version as the offline OS but how would I find out what version is installed on...
  3. DISM Question - Silly question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Question - Silly question: Hi Since I restored my notebook yesterday I decided to just run the sfc /scannow and the dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth sfc /scannow runs fine and as expected nothing wrong, when running "dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth" it just shows the version...
  4. Basic question about microsoft store

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Basic question about microsoft store: If I login in microsoft store, is going to be only for the store or for the whole system? submitted by /u/Chuil01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ervu3c/basic_question_about_microsoft_store/
  5. Basic Question about User Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Basic Question about User Permissions: Hello, I am trying to set up a second user on my laptop (Windows 10) for the first time. The idea is to give a colleague access to a single folder and its subfolders, but not its parent folders or any other folders on the machine. I have created a new user and, from the...
  6. DISM Question

DISM Question: Hi. I was looking into DISM commands (I don't know much about them) to see if any would be beneficial after a fresh install of W10 with all updates. I came across this article by @EdTittel. Is this something a home user does not need to worry about? Are there any recommended...
  7. Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM: Hi, I have the following task to complete; I would like to capture an image from a machine running Windows 10 enterprise using WinPE and DISM and then using Windows Server 2012 R2, PXE boot the captured image onto 10 other machines on the network. I would not like to use...
  8. A basic question about occassional BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A basic question about occassional BSOD: I can see that BSOD can be a can of worms, and don't want to tangle with it unless necessary (as I have some other issues I am dealing with). I only get BSOD infrequently, usually a few weeks apart, they don't persist, and the machine runs well for a while after the 100%...
  9. DISM question

DISM question: Awhile ago I downloaded ISO for win 10 - 64 bit English. I downloaded it from Tech Bench I successfully used it once. Today I had to fix whatever results I got from sfc and it gave me a message that cannot find source file. I downloaded a new ISO file and and it ran...
  10. Some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some basic questions: At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to. 1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS...