Windows 10: Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?

Discus and support Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 x64 Pro, v1803, OS build 17134.165. OS disk: WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0, basic internal SATA, 1Tb, 56% full. I often find, for the first 15-30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SamRick, Aug 16, 2018.

1. SamRick Win User

Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?

Windows 10 x64 Pro, v1803, OS build 17134.165.
    OS disk: WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0, basic internal SATA, 1Tb, 56% full.

I often find, for the first 15-30 minutes after startup, that the operating system disk is running at 100% active (from Task Mgr), with average response times of well over 100 ms.
    Not surprisingly, this results in a poor response time for other active processes, while this situation pertains.

I have seen from Resource Monitor and Task Mgr, that two unavoidably vital processes run concurrently at this time; coreServiceShell.exe of Trend Micro Maximum Security, and iCloudDrive.exe, both of which put a heavy load (read and write) on the OS disk when running. After a time, both processes finish the work they're doing, and quieten down. System performance then returns to its usual perky self.

I have thought of moving the \User folders to another disk (which appear to be the main focus for these processes), perhaps an external USB disk (I have two already, for backup purposes), but I don't know how to do that without throwing Windows into confusion. I don't know if that is even possible.

Another thought I've had, having seen a Windows 10 x64 Pro laptop running from a 1Tb SSD, and the way it boots from cold in less than 10 seconds (I wish I could do that!), is to buy a 1Tb internal SATA SSD (not cheap), clone the contents of the current system disk onto it, then make it the boot disk. I have another problem there, since using this system, which was an upgrade using a new motherboard; I have never managed to interrupt the startup sequence and gain access to the BIOS. I've used what is supposed to be the correct key input to do this (<escape> if memory serves), but it seems either not to work, or I am consistently mis-timing it.

Can anyone tell me if this would be an effective plan to improve performance, or if might there be gotchas that would come back and bite me. Even if this upgrade can be done without difficulty, I have to decide whether the cost of buying a 1Tb SSD is worth the benefit.

BTW, I forgot to mention; the OS disk is defragmented and optimised about once a week.

:)

SamRick, Aug 16, 2018
  2. grahamm7 Win User

Error connecting SATA disk to Windows 10 using a SATA to USB harness

Tried running troubleshooter and restart as you suggested. I cannot allocate a Drive letter. Device Manager sees the device and driver ok. Says ASMT 2105 and says device is working properly. If I use Disk Manager it sees the device but says Dynamic Invalid.
    It won't let me reactivate as it says it can't do this on an invalid Disk Pack. If I go to use Convert to Basic Disk it says I will loose data. This disk was the Disk 0 bootable disk for Windows 7. So it will have a boot sector and and a reserved section
    etc. Then 2 main partitions. The first was the old partition mounted on C: as the OS 'disk'. The second partition was where I put some other data. I can't allocate a drive letter to this disk as I can't see any partitions. The driver is loading Ok.
    But I am just not seeing this disk via the USB connection via the SATA cradle. Thanks for the suggestions but they don't solve the problem. The idea of the SATA saddle is so that I can connect SATA disks is necessary. I have looked in the Event Log but
    cannot see anything obvisous. It also keep trying to do something with this disk/saddle. So something comes up and then disappears.

grahamm7, Aug 16, 2018
  3. Microsoft Drive Optimizer mistakenly lists SATA hard disk drive as SSD and will not defragment the drive

HP Pavilion p6754y Desktop PC was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

The Device Manager shows the boot C:\ drive as:

Disk: ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device

Disk Driver: Microsoft 10.0.10240.16384

Disk Driver Date: 6/21/2006

The disk is the original Segate 1 TB disk that came new in the HP PC.

In Windows 7 the disk could be defragmented using the standard steps of:

Select C:\ disk > Properties > Tools > Optimize Drives > Select (CBasic SATA disk or SSD for OS? :) Hard disk drive > Optimize

In Windows 10 the disk can NOT be manually Optimized because it is identified as SSD:

Select C:\ disk > Properties > Tools > Optimize Drives > Select OS (CBasic SATA disk or SSD for OS? :) Solid state drive

Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS? 67124b03-fd3e-44fd-b6f9-52f9b03167c0.jpg

Is this a problem with the Microsoft program dfrgui.exe ?

Here is what the diskpart command shows:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 931 GB 0 B

Disk 1 No Media 0 B 0 B

Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B

Disk 3 No Media 0 B 0 B

Disk 4 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device

Disk ID: C562DE02

Type : SATA

Path : 0

Target : 0

LUN ID : 0

Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1100)#ATA(C00T00L00)

Current Read-only State : No

Read-only : No

Boot Disk : Yes

Pagefile Disk : Yes

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : Yes

Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 1 SYSTEM NTFS Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Volume 2 C OS NTFS Partition 918 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 3 D HP_RECOVERY NTFS Partition 12 GB Healthy

Volume 4 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

How do I get this drive identity corrected in the disk properties so that it can be optimized ?

DavidELindsay, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?

Microsoft Drive Optimizer mistakenly lists SATA hard disk drive as SSD and will not defragment the drive

It sure looks like a Windows 10 bug. The OS knows it is a SATA disk drive but the disk properties > defrag shows it as SDD which is wrong. The only problem this has caused is not being able to run Windows defrag on the disk. So - I downloaded a FREE defrag
    program and run it to clean up the disk.

I suggest using either of these 2 defrag programs:

www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

www.piriform.com/defraggler

Dave

DavidELindsay, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?

1. Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS? - Similar Threads - Basic SATA disk

2. Nvme C drive (OS) is disk 1 and sata D drive ssd is disk 0

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nvme C drive (OS) is disk 1 and sata D drive ssd is disk 0: I recently upgraded my pc to an nvme i reinstalled os and everything was running perfectly fine Nvme was disk 0. After that i installed a sata ssd the sata turned into disk 0 and Nvme with the os turned into Disk 1. I can't find a clear answer as how to fix this or if this...
  3. sata ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata ssd: I installed a sata 6 internal ssd and my cpu is not recognizing the drive what must I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-ssd/5c8a216f-bfe8-46f4-804a-745e44997e32
  4. Transfering the OS from a SATA SSD to an M.2 SSD...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfering the OS from a SATA SSD to an M.2 SSD...: So as the title suggests, I'm wanting to transfer my Windows 10 OS from my already connected SATA SSD to a new and larger M.2 SSD that I'm installing. I have around 500gb of data on the old (SATA) SSD, but the only thing I want to transfer is the OS. Is there a way to retain...
  5. windows 10 version 2004 - SSD and SATA disk issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 version 2004 - SSD and SATA disk issue: Hi, My Windows OS is using SSD and two normal SATA HDD. In version 1903, I found that if installed Intel RST driver, when running under 1 hour, my PC held on around 30 sec, then my SATA HDD disconnected. If not install RST, all normal. Now my windows updated to version...
  6. Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD: Hello everyone, I have old PC with system configuration as below: Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz RAM:2GB MotherBoard:Asus P5kpl-am/ps HDD:WD 512GB No Graphics Card,Intel stock cooler. Recnetly I have upgraded the PC from windows 7 professional 32bit to...
  7. 2.5" SATA III SSD not seen in BIOS as a boot disk

in Windows 10 Support
    2.5" SATA III SSD not seen in BIOS as a boot disk: The machine is MSI Titan GT80 SLI and it has 4 SSDs: 3x2280 PCIe and 1x2.5" SATA III SSD. I have no issues with making images of the primary boot SSD, from one 2280 to another 2280 using Macrium Reflect. Then I use the bcdboot command to make the drive bootable. however, I...
  8. SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

SATA III SSD shown as SATA II: Hi everyone.*Nerd I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port controlled by native Intel SATA II controller on my mobo and current speed should be 3gb/s. Why does it say though that the...
  9. Sata ssd

Sata ssd: What is the difference between SATAI,II,and III? I want to buy one from EBay. Its a Seagate SATA I for only $11.00 160gb don't need much more than that. Just enough to hold small docs and for surfing. 102827
  10. True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD: Hi, can anyone please let me know if it is possible to create a True Crypt Encrypted OS when using a SSD and a Sata HDD installed. When creating the 2 OS with one encrypted on just one HDD that is partitioned it works perfectly, but as soon as I add an SSD with one OS it wont...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Basic SATA

2. microsoft drive optimizer mistakenly lists sata hard disk drive as ssd and will not defragment the drive in windows server 2012 r2