Windows 10: Bat file problem. Windows Cannot Access the Specified Adress or File

Discus and support Bat file problem. Windows Cannot Access the Specified Adress or File in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have Windows 10 Home. Version 1703. 64 bit system and 8 GB RAM. I cant run any bat file as it gives me "Windows cannot access the path... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zahav, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Zahav Win User

Bat file problem. Windows Cannot Access the Specified Adress or File

Hello,

I have Windows 10 Home. Version 1703. 64 bit system and 8 GB RAM.

I cant run any bat file as it gives me "Windows cannot access the path specified, you may lack additional permissions to open this item." Sometimes run as admin works. But, trying to set permissions does not help. I understand there must be a process in my system that has blocked access to run bat files.
    Here is my task list.
    list.txt

If there is some setting within Windows 10 that can block BAT files then I don't know. Would like to know if there is such.
    What else I need to provide, please tell me.
    I would be very glad if someone would help solve this issue. I asked for help in microsoft support forum, they just gave me their standard solution link that did not help as I read that before.

:)

Zahav, Nov 18, 2017
  2. Zahav Win User

Cant open ANY Bat file

Hello,

It does not matter what function the bat file has, what it's for and what is the address written in. Upon launch, it will give an error: "Windows cannot get access the specified path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item".
    Launching as admin will not help, it will go blank or give another error. So no bat file will ever launch a software. Workaround for me its bat to exe converter, but it does not work in all cases.

I have only the windows defender working. Looked all over, tried tweaks found on the net. Nothing won't work. There is a setting somewhere that blocks cmd for accessing the files using bat files. Would be grateful for the useful help.

Zahav, Nov 18, 2017
  3. cannot access the specified path or file error code 0x800704C7

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

The error: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item arises due to the reasons below:

• You do not have permissions to the file or the file location.
    • The file is on a location that is not currently accessible like a network location or an external drive that is not currently connected to the PC.
    • The file has been moved or deleted.
    • The file or shortcut is corrupt.
    • The file may be blocked by Windows.
    • Your antivirus software may be blocking the file.

To resolve the issue, I would suggest that you perform the methods that are mentioned below:

Method 1: Permissions are rules associated with files that determine if you can access the file and what you can do with it. To check the permission of the file or folder, follow these steps:

• Right-click the file or folder that you wish to create a backup of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • Click Edit, and then click to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then click
      OK
    Note: Make sure you are an Administrator or you are part of the Domain Admins group if you are in a domain.

Method 2: Check to make sure the file location is available.

You might get this error if the shortcut or installation is attempting to access a location that is not currently available such as a networked or a removable drive. Check the path of the file that Windows cannot access and make sure that the location is
    accessible.

Method 3: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption

You can also receive this error if the shortcut or other file type has become corrupt. You can check for corruption in shortcuts by recreating the shortcut.

Method 4: Check to see if your antivirus software is blocking the file

You can check to see if your antivirus software is blocking a file by temporarily disabling it, and then trying to open the file. If you have to temporarily disable your antivirus software, you should re-enable it as soon as you are done. If you’re connected
    to the Internet while your antivirus software is disabled, your PC is vulnerable to attacks.

Important: Disabling your antivirus software or changing the settings may make your PC vulnerable to viral, fraudulent, or malicious attacks. Microsoft does not recommend that you disable your antivirus software or change the settings.
    If you have to temporarily disable your antivirus software, you should re-enable it as soon as you are done. Use this workaround at your own risk.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 18, 2017
  5. Zahav Win User
    Thanks, but did not help. Tried to do that option also in admin account. The action was successful but windows still can't access,

Zahav, Nov 18, 2017
  6. Sometimes AV/smartscreen intervene, since bat is considered as dangerous as exe.
    Considering, that you are running Bitdefender, I would try disabling that one first.

TairikuOkami, Nov 18, 2017
  7. Zahav Win User
    Protection shields for both BitDefender and the default Windows 10 turned off. No results.

Zahav, Nov 18, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

What is the path to your bat files? Are all your bat files in the same folder?
    Can you post one of the bat files that isn't working?

dalchina, Nov 18, 2017
  9. Zahav Win User
    Example
    aum_of.bat
    They have various paths... For instance C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sudden Strike 2 Gold/Suddenstrike II.bat I I installed in all three drives. No result.

Zahav, Nov 18, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    In that one, comment out the middle line, then try running it.
    Then try adding
    Dir ..

as the second line and run that.

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  11. Zahav Win User
    That program that uses that bat file requires some five more such bats to run. I did not make it myself. As told you all bat files are blocked access no matter what is written in them. I have bat to exe program it has these example bats and all receive the error mentioned in first post.

Zahav, Nov 19, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Ok, as you're not willing to try that and I have no more suggestions, I hope someone else can help.
    Otherwise my only other thuoght is you have a permissions problem, and might suggest Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool. However I'm not convinced there's enough clear evidence of that.

Good luck!

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

I recreated this problem. I downloaded your bat and after clicking on "more info" warning from defender your bat ran fine.

What is trying to do with move ..\DME_AUM.pack .\Packs\DME_AUM.pack is move a file called "DME_AUM.pack" from one level lower in your directory tree to a folder called "Packs" in the directory where your bat file is running.

I'm assuming you have it in the right place so I make a directory C:\Temp, another called C:\Temp\Packs and put the file in root of C:

It works fine in admin cmd prompt: PHP Code: PS C:\Temp> cmd
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.64]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Temp>move ..\DME_AUM.pack .\Packs\DME_AUM.pack
    1 file(s) moved.
    If I move the file back and change your bat to add a "pause" like this PHP Code: @echo off
    move ..\DME_AUM.pack .\Packs\DME_AUM.pack
    pause
    exit
    then I get the same error as you: PHP Code: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Press any key to continue . . .

You could just put extBat file problem. Windows Cannot Access the Specified Adress or File :pack in the search field in Windows File Explorer and move them manually but it is interesting the bat file doesn't find the file even when run as administrator.

Can I ask are these files in the root of some drive? Like C:\ or D:\ ?

14. Zahav Win User
    That one is part of Empire Total War Darthmod in H drive. Adress is H:\Steam\steamapps\common\Empire Total War\data\DME\Packs
    The other ones: For instance, this one is very simple on the c drive.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sudden Strike 2 Gold

code\release\game_exe.exe

I used bat to exe converter and it worked. I reckon I could launch that in summer and Win 10 was installed in spring.

Zahav, Nov 19, 2017
  15. Zahav Win User
    Maybe useful info, I noticded steam folder in H drive is read-only and my user account has no full access. When tried to apply I get failed to enumerate objects in the container in that directory where bat files are.

Zahav, Nov 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Bat file problem. Windows Cannot Access the Specified Adress or File - Similar Threads - Bat file problem

2. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file: Hello,a few days ago I started having the following problem: when I try to open a video in the, for example, Splash Lite, i get the message that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file, etc." However, when I try to open the same file in Windows Media...
  3. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. ....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. ....: Hi,I'm receiving this on restart, after latest Windows Update. Please advise.Thanks!Regards,Harel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or/5e58ce4e-8538-4000-af10-c8bd19c8c2a1
  4. Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, Path, or File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, Path, or File: i have checked the properties and by all means i should be able to launch the new games i downloaded off the windows store but for some reason i continue to get the error message "Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, Path, or File". this does not happen when playing...
  5. Problem with opening .exe files, Windows cannot access the specified device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with opening .exe files, Windows cannot access the specified device.: Hello, so recently I've noticed that I cannot open some .exe files or installers, I have unblocked the exe file once it downloaded and restarted my computer to try again, once opened it says Windows cannot access the device and that's it, I tried changing the users and it...
  6. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file...: I am trying to open task manager but it wont open with CTRL + ALT + Delete and CTRL + SHIFT + ESC so I tried opening it as an administrator from the search menu and it game this error: [ATTACH] is there a virus or what I tried every thing given at this page:...
  7. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.: Whenever I uninstall and redownload an application, I get the same error, 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access this item'' It's not a permission error, I checked permissions in properties and all that,...
  8. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.: Whenever I attempt to open an application I downloaded, I get the same "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I'm getting this same error withevery new application I download. It's not a...
  9. access denied to .BAT file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    access denied to .BAT file: I did a clean install of 1809 as I was having some issues no one had an answer for. In the process 1903 was released so I updated. I had to reinstall a program that was working in 1809. It is run inside a BAT file that first accesses my NAS to copy data files. The BAT...
  10. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file: Hello. Just installed Win10. I'm having trouble both opening and renaming/changing some files. I had no trouble before on win8. I am administrator with elevated previliges. I changed UAC level to the lowest. I keep getting this error: "Windows cannot access the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. driver pack solution Windows cannot access the specified device