Windows 10: Batch file: Who can solve this mystery?

Discus and support Batch file: Who can solve this mystery? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recenty migrated to Windows 10 from XP. Years ago, I made a batch file, ping.bat, to test my Internet connection and DNS server: ping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jfniss, Mar 30, 2016.

1. jfniss Win User

Batch file: Who can solve this mystery?

I recenty migrated to Windows 10 from XP. Years ago, I made a batch file, ping.bat, to test my Internet connection and DNS server:

ping 98.139.183.24
    ping yahoo.com
    ping nytimes.com
    pause

It works fine in XP, but when I run it in Windows 10, it goes into an endless loop after reading the first line, without returning a result or going on to the next line. But if I open it in Notepad and copy and paste the text into a Window 10 Command Prompt window, it works fine--just like in XP. What's going on? A couple of other batch files I made for XP seem to work the same in Windows 10.

:)

jfniss, Mar 30, 2016

2. Who can help me solve this ? Please....help

Hi Calvin,  

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will certainly help you with this issue.

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

• When exactly do you get this error message?

• What app/program are you exactly trying to run?

• Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    I would like to inform you that the information you have provided is not sufficient to understand the issue clearly.

Please get back to us with the above information, so that we can assist you better.

Thank you.

JuzarAli1709, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Who can help me solve this ? Please....help

Batch file: Who can solve this mystery? [​IMG]

I don't know what is this .Someone can just help me solve ?

Calvin Lim Kai Lun, Mar 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Run ping /?

that will give you the options of how long to ping for.

NavyLCDR, Mar 30, 2016
  5. The bat file works just fine on mine PC, maybe a problem with your DNS server.
    Anyway, that webpage probably reports to your DNS, that it is down right now.

TairikuOkami, Mar 30, 2016
  6. jfniss Win User
    My question is: Why do I get one result (endless loop) if I run the .bat file in Windows 10, but a different result (works fine) if I paste the exact text of the batch file into a Windows 10 Command Prompt window?

jfniss, Mar 30, 2016
  7. I see, that is funny, rename your file to something else, not ping. *chuckle

8. jfniss Win User

That's the answer! Renaming the file makes it work in Windows 10! It worked fine in XP as ping.bat.

jfniss, Mar 30, 2016
  9. Source: windows 7 - Why does the PING command in my batch file execute in a loop? - Super User

I might actually use it as a prank, especially since April 1st is coming. *Smile

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Brilliant!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Batch file: Who can solve this mystery? - Similar Threads - Batch file solve

2. Can Robocopy copy in batches of files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Robocopy copy in batches of files?: Evening, I'm just after a bit of help, I have a folder on my PC which has a load of files from my Nikon Camera - for my current example 1700 at around 42GB, I usually copy these to an external SDD but I'm guessing due to the SSD the speed tends to drop off so I start around...
  3. Can Robocopy copy in batches of files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Robocopy copy in batches of files?: Evening, I'm just after a bit of help, I have a folder on my PC which has a load of files from my Nikon Camera - for my current example 1700 at around 42GB, I usually copy these to an external SDD but I'm guessing due to the SSD the speed tends to drop off so I start around...
  4. Can Robocopy copy in batches of files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Batch Files

Batch Files: How do i make it that my batch file puts itself in to startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-files/6156404d-20d4-4f58-bee5-14629dbf7b10
  6. Mystery file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery file: 1c7b1472-9b59-4652-9dde-f1dc675649cc Find in WER/temp folder but # changes after reboot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-file/731f8936-7e73-4c24-8a82-688e024eb67b
  7. 50 Dollars for anyone who can help me solve this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    50 Dollars for anyone who can help me solve this?: Hello, I got a recently got a new HP laptop, and I set it into safe mode. Using this link https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode . (Instead of Minimal I check Network) When I restart my laptop, I can’t use my finger nor keyboard to login in, it...
  8. Create batch files with Batch?

Create batch files with Batch?: How to create Batch and VBS files with Batch? So I write a batch file which I then convert to exe that creates new folders in a certain directory and then creates batch and VBS files with a certain content and saves them in the created folder. So it's similar to a program...
  9. PLEASE HELP SOLVE MYSTERY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PLEASE HELP SOLVE MYSTERY: For about two months now my Dell Latitude E5570 has been giving me an extremely hard time. Before I get into detail of the issues at hand, I have combed through thread after thread and I can't find any resolution to my problems, or really even something close to what I'm...
  10. Can a batch file be pinned to the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a batch file be pinned to the taskbar?: Right clicking a batch file on my desktop does not give me the option to pin it, is there a way? Thanks! 57501