Windows 10: Batch files default to being opened in editor rather than executed

Discus and support Batch files default to being opened in editor rather than executed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is on Windows 10 x64 creators edition. I’ve created a batch file and placed it in C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NickJP, Dec 13, 2017.

1. NickJP Win User

Batch files default to being opened in editor rather than executed

This is on Windows 10 x64 creators edition. I’ve created a batch file and placed it in C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Start-up, but every time I start the machine and login, I find that instead of the batch file getting executed, it opens in Notepad++. Same thing happens when I double-click a batch file in Windows Explorer. How do I change the file association so that batch files get executed. By design, Windows doesn’t show the Open With menu option for executable files (.bat, .cmd, .exe, etc) when you right-click on them, nor does it show the Change button to allow you to change the default program in the right-click file properties for executable files, so I can’t change the properties that way.

:)

NickJP, Dec 13, 2017

2. Embedding a .bat file into an image

I was able to embed a batch file into a .jpg image, but I can't seem to get the batch file to automatically run when the image is opened. All the embedding is fine. What I want is to be able to open the image and have the batch file run and execute the
    command line command as soon as the image is running. For example, I could embed a batch file saying "start notepad" into the image. Ideally, notepad would run as soon as the image is opened. Any ideas?

aidanvillasenor, Dec 13, 2017
  3. Selecting Microsoft Photos for 3rd Party Programs to open as designated photo editor

How do you designate Microsoft Photos when 3rd Party Programs need to know what photo editor to open? Microsoft Photos is already the default photo editor. I already realize Microsoft Photos is not a stand alone program with its own .exe file to browse to.

Therefore rather than repeating this information, please answer the question. The must be some path to launch the correct parent program (IE perhaps?) along with an argument needed to open MS Photos? Alternatively perhaps there is a path to direct programs
    to defaults?

Otherwise when 3rd Party picture display programs etc need to know users program of choice for quick edits/rotations etc, a NON-microsoft photo editor needs to be selected. Perhaps this is the sad but true answer? Thanks.

DuncanMcLean, Dec 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Dec 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Batch files default to being opened in editor rather than executed - Similar Threads - Batch files default

2. File Explorer Sign in - defaults to secondary account rather than primary account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Sign in - defaults to secondary account rather than primary account: I see a "Please sign in" notice in File Explorer, but when I click on it to do so, it defaults to a secondary account I sometimes use and not the account I typically use for logging into Windows or Microsoft services.Can I change this?...
  3. File Explorer Sign in - defaults to secondary account rather than primary account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Sign in - defaults to secondary account rather than primary account: I see a "Please sign in" notice in File Explorer, but when I click on it to do so, it defaults to a secondary account I sometimes use and not the account I typically use for logging into Windows or Microsoft services.Can I change this?...
  4. Batch file does not wait for executed program to finish.

Batch file does not wait for executed program to finish.: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 Installed on ‎8/‎3/‎2020 OS build 19044.1466 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0 I have a batch file that I want to start a browser, wait for it to close, then proceed to the next instruction in the batch. The batch...
  5. Remote execution of specific batch file on network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote execution of specific batch file on network.: Hi, I am trying to setup a function on my home server in which ISOs can be created and burned over the network using the server pc's optical drives. I am using oscdimg and imgburn command prompt utilities for this. I have created a script that runs on the local PC, and based...
  6. JPG files open as wallpaper background rather than just as pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    JPG files open as wallpaper background rather than just as pictures: Whether the jpg file is stored on the laptop internal drive or on a USB drive or microSD card, I can't just open it as a picture or save it to another location. Instead, when I try to view the file it opens to the desktop display as a wallpaper background. This happens to...
  7. Batch File doesn't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Batch File doesn't open: The title is pretty self explanatory. When I double click the batch file, a program tries to open in the taskbar and it quickly disappears as well. When I run it as an administrator, it asks me, "Allow command processor to change blah blah blah". I click yes, and then the...
  8. Default image editor can't open image files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default image editor can't open image files: I recently installed paint.net on Windows 10, and since its installer can't change the default image "editor", I read a post on the paint.net forums, which said to change the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command to "C:\Program...
  9. Outlook 2016 delivers mail in "batches" rather than on arrival.

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 delivers mail in "batches" rather than on arrival.: Where I'm located it is now 9:11 a.m. I'm looking at a group of 17 messages that are tagged as arriving from 6:30 a.m. to 9:06 a.m. They were all delivered at once at 9:08. Clicking Send and Receive doesn't accomplish anything in between "batch" deliveries. I have set the...
  10. Batch files won't run, open editor instead

Batch files won't run, open editor instead: Somehow (most likely my fault) .bat files have defaulted to opening my text editor (UltraEdit) instead of executing. I took all the file associations out of UltraEdit and re-started - no change I followed internet advice to remove...