Windows 10: Batch files won't run, open editor instead

Discus and support Batch files won't run, open editor instead in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Somehow (most likely my fault) .bat files have defaulted to opening my text editor (UltraEdit) instead of executing. I took all the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by thermocycler, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Batch files won't run, open editor instead

Somehow (most likely my fault) .bat files have defaulted to opening my text editor (UltraEdit) instead of executing.

I took all the file associations out of UltraEdit and re-started - no change

I followed internet advice to remove

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.b*​at\UserChoice

and re-started - no change

I uninstalled UltraEdit and restarted - .bat's still try to open UltraEdit but can't find it.

Help *Sad

:)

thermocycler, Jun 29, 2016
  2. MrTuna141 Win User

Trying to open cmd but file explorer opens instead

When i try to open cmd or run a batch file, file explorer opens instead.

MrTuna141, Jun 29, 2016
  3. Embedding a .bat file into an image

I was able to embed a batch file into a .jpg image, but I can't seem to get the batch file to automatically run when the image is opened. All the embedding is fine. What I want is to be able to open the image and have the batch file run and execute the
    command line command as soon as the image is running. For example, I could embed a batch file saying "start notepad" into the image. Ideally, notepad would run as soon as the image is opened. Any ideas?

aidanvillasenor, Jun 29, 2016
  4. ModUser Win User

Batch files won't run, open editor instead

Try this :
    Delete any entries under the OpenWithList subkey
    or
    Take a backup of your regkey and delete the entire ".bat" key not only UserChoise subkey

ModUser, Jun 29, 2016
  5. Code: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bat] (if present: remove "UserChoice") [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bat] (if present: @ = "batfile") [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile] (if present) [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell] (if present: @ = "open") [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\open\command] (if present: @ = "\"%1\" %*") [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.bat] @ = "batfile" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell] @ = "open" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\open\command] @ = "\"%1\" %*" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat] @ = "batfile" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell] @ = "open" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command] @ = "\"%1\" %*"[/quote] Source: How do I restore .bat files association with the system (make them run when double-clicked)?

TairikuOkami, Jun 29, 2016
  6. Sorry, what does "@ =" mean?

7. Default, like this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat] @ = "batfile"

TairikuOkami, Jun 29, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

Since UltraEdit is a third-party software/program and free, I'd get rid of it and see if the file association for .bat gets restored or can be restorede.

Berton, Jun 29, 2016
  9. Got it, thanks!

10. If you read the post you'll see I already did all that.

11. Fixed! Special thanks to TairikuOkami for the list, I think the problem was [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bat which was the only one with a link to UltraEdit

thermocycler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Batch files won't run, open editor instead - Similar Threads - Batch files won't

2. Cant run Batch file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant run Batch file: When i try to run a batch file all it says is this app can't run on your pc i tried going to my property and going to compatibility but it isn't there im on windows 11 btw but if someone can pls help...
  3. Cant run Batch file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant run Batch file: When i try to run a batch file all it says is this app can't run on your pc i tried going to my property and going to compatibility but it isn't there im on windows 11 btw but if someone can pls help...
  4. Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?: I'm trying to run one batch file, then another. Instead of running the 2nd batch file, it just opens another black screened command prompt with the name of the batch file as the first line in the command prompt? Any ideas why?...
  5. Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Starting batch file only opens command prompt versus running the batch file?: I'm trying to run one batch file, then another. Instead of running the 2nd batch file, it just opens another black screened command prompt with the name of the batch file as the first line in the command prompt? Any ideas why?...
  6. .jar Files Open in Internet Explorer Instead of Running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .jar Files Open in Internet Explorer Instead of Running: I think this is a pretty common problem, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution. I need to run a .jar file, which I would normally do by double-clicking on it. However, the file now just opens in Internet Explorer, which tries to download it again. Does anyone...
  7. Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open: I recently changed the wrong value in the registry editor by accident, and now exe files wont open. I can't go back in to registry editor because it is an exe file. I have tried many things, like changing cmd.exe to cmd.com and opening command prompt, but nothing I do inside...
  8. Batch File doesn't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Batch File doesn't open: The title is pretty self explanatory. When I double click the batch file, a program tries to open in the taskbar and it quickly disappears as well. When I run it as an administrator, it asks me, "Allow command processor to change blah blah blah". I click yes, and then the...
  9. Running an uneditable Batch file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Running an uneditable Batch file: Hi people, Got a task to run a certain CMD command on a number of PCs as administrator. So I thought i would create a batch file doing this. This is not the issue. The issue is that I am unable to lock down successfully so people cannot just edit the file to see the admin...
  10. Batch files default to being opened in editor rather than executed

in Windows 10 Support
    Batch files default to being opened in editor rather than executed: This is on Windows 10 x64 creators edition. I’ve created a batch file and placed it in C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Start-up, but every time I start the machine and login, I find that instead of the batch file getting executed, it opens...