Windows 10: Batchfile to automatically backup a folder

Discus and support Batchfile to automatically backup a folder in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have tried several free file/folder backup utilities, with not much success. the most success I had was with backup maker, but although it states... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by reddwarf4ever, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Batchfile to automatically backup a folder

I have tried several free file/folder backup utilities, with not much success.

the most success I had was with backup maker, but although it states free for private use, it still pops,up a nag screen occaisonly, I could accept this better , if I jones in advance, rather than having installed it and learnt the program and set up a backup....

the other her programs were confusing and seemed to want to backup my entire hard drive, even though I never set it to....maybe it's just me, I don't know.

could someone please assist me by writing a batchfile or VBS script, with the following options.
    1-choose a source folder
    2-chose a destination path for the backed up folder
    3-each backup to be appended with the system date and time.
    4-hopefully allow the backed up folder to be verified
    5-allow backups to be performed at PC startup automatically.
    6-produce a message on successfull /verified backup

or maybe someone knows of a free program to do this...

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Oct 29, 2016
  2. Mr_Dummy Win User

How to Automatically Launch Windows Universal Apps on Startup

I suppose it's possible to create a batchfile that runs on PowerShell. A reference to the batchfile can be put into Startup e.g. with a drag and drop into that directory.

Mr_Dummy, Oct 29, 2016
  3. chrisbat22, Oct 29, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Batchfile to automatically backup a folder

Why not use the inbuilt backup tool (File History Backup) - plenty of guides on web.

cereberus, Oct 30, 2016
  5. Didn't think,it covered all my requirements....will have a look

update, it doesn't appear to have an option to backup when windows starts or append file names with the date and time...

reddwarf4ever, Oct 30, 2016
  6. Phone Man Win User
    I use SyncToy from MS to backup my folders. It has two option to auto run folder backups.

It can use the cmd prompt or add the cmd prompt to the Windows Scheduler. The HELP menu in SyncToy has all the information but here is a quick quote.

Hope this helps.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 30, 2016
  7. Thanks, will have a look

8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Oct 30, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    File History can be set to run every 10 minutes. It does append date/time - look in your File History folder. For example, in mine a backed up copy of a desktop.ini is named: desktop (2016_10_28 21_03_57 UTC).ini

10. Need it to backup at windows startup.....using backup maker and just have to put up with the splash screeen advert....
    thanks

11. cereberus Win User
    It store multiple copies with date and time stamps (see picture below) etc. Re backup - just plug in external drive and it will backup. You can probably run a task from task scheduler on login.

Batchfile to automatically backup a folder [​IMG]

cereberus, Oct 30, 2016
  12. Thanks everyone, got enough to go on now

reddwarf4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Batchfile to automatically backup a folder - Similar Threads - Batchfile automatically backup

2. Automatic backup local folder to Onedrive business

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic backup local folder to Onedrive business: Hi,I have a Onedrive business account and I want to select my working project folder to backup. I have searched for solution and couldn't get satisfied solution.The backup should automatically sync with Onedrive. There is a folder in C: drive default backup folder and I can...
  3. Automatic Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Automatic Folder Backup: DO NOT ENABLE FOLDERS BACKUP TO ONEDRIVE AUTOMATICALLY WHEN INSTALLING WINDOWS 10DO NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS FOR USER WITHOUT THEIR APPROVALDO NOT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-folder-backup/9d674523-3673-488f-b9e0-8b9b98aa5e67
  4. Automatic Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Folder Backup: DO NOT ENABLE FOLDERS BACKUP TO ONEDRIVE AUTOMATICALLY WHEN INSTALLING WINDOWS 10DO NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS FOR USER WITHOUT THEIR APPROVALDO NOT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-folder-backup/9d674523-3673-488f-b9e0-8b9b98aa5e67
  5. Automatic Folder Backup

6. Automatic backup of Pictures folder to an external drive

Automatic backup of Pictures folder to an external drive: HelloHow can I setup an automatic backup of the 'My Pictures' folder to an external USB drive?ThanksPierre https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-backup-of-pictures-folder-to-an-external/709900ac-efa0-465b-a715-3b7de3fc710c
  7. Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic backup of OneDrive-folders to external HDD: I have my OneDrive-folders saved localy on my computer, but I also have an external HDD connected to my router for backups. Using the build-in backup feature in Windows I can't get it to actually backup the content in THE OneDrive-folders to the external HDD. Is there a way...
  8. Any app for automatic backup of a folder to usb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any app for automatic backup of a folder to usb: Hi, I'm looking for an app that makes a back up of a folder to a USB external drive when I plug it in and then let me use it submitted by /u/LeoCx1000 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hrf4qy/any_app_for_automatic_backup_of_a_folder_to_usb/
  9. Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup: I've been running Windows 10 automatic file/folder backup for quite some time, and it was working fine before the latest massive Windows 10 update. My files/folders are directed to be saved every 20 minutes to an external drive connected via a USB port. Now, I could be wrong,...
  10. Backup a folder automatically and incrementally

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup a folder automatically and incrementally: Hi, I have a folder, for example: C:\MASTER -> (A) that I want to backup to: D:\MASTER_BACKUP -> (B) I want to do it manually or automatically when I want. "C:\MASTER" must be always untouched by the software, but also the software but compare A and B folder...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Create a batch file to automatically backup folder