Windows 10: Battery Icon shows drain when plugged in but battery settings shows full charge

Discus and support Battery Icon shows drain when plugged in but battery settings shows full charge in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is a issue with update 1803. With this Spring Creator's Update.. my laptop battery icon in the system tray would suddenly jump from almost fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BethMans, Aug 10, 2018.

1. BethMans Win User

Battery Icon shows drain when plugged in but battery settings shows full charge

This is a issue with update 1803.

With this Spring Creator's Update.. my laptop battery icon in the system tray would suddenly jump from almost fully charged to "27%, plugged in, not charging" while the actual battery status when view in Windows would be between 96% and 100%. If I rebooted the icon would be correct. If I unplugged the power cord it would jump back up to the correct number. I contacted Asus support and was given steps to try. A hard reset, reinstalling the drivers, resetting the BIOS, etc. None of this worked.

I finally rolled back to the Windows 10 Pro Fall Creators version (1709) as I did not have Windows set up to create restore points. On May 5th, Windows had updated to the Spring update (1803). Since this roll back, I have not had the issue again. The battery icon in the system tray stayed as it should to reflect the actual status of the battery.

This morning my Laptop decided to reinstall the Spring update after all these months and the issue is back. The update removed all my restore points. I'm not sure if it will let me roll back again or not. I thought perhaps the issue had been fixed with some of the updates between May and now but I guess not.

Anyone else with this issue?

:)

BethMans, Aug 10, 2018
  2. BethMans Win User

I've noticed in the past week that on my Asus laptop that stays plugged in all the time... after start up each day the battery icon will slowly look like it's draining well below the 90ish % that would make it start charging. Prior to this last week, mousing
    over that icon would say something like 96% available, plugged in, not charging. That number will be anywhere from 95 to 99%. It's worked that way for the entire year I've had the laptop which I use as a desktop replacement.

3 times this last week after the laptop being on for several hours, I'll notice that the icon will show a considerably lower percentage, but if I click on it, it shows 99% etc as well as if I open the battery settings. If I unplug the laptop and plug it back
    in the battery icon shows correctly.

Is this something that's a known issue or could it be something caused by the Spring update?

Windows 10 Pro

ASUS ZenBook UX501

Thanks.

BethMans, Aug 10, 2018
  3. BethMans Win User

I've noticed in the past week that on my Asus laptop that stays plugged in all the time... after start up each day the battery icon will slowly look like it's draining well below the 90ish % that would make it start charging. Prior to this last week, mousing
    over that icon would say something like 96% available, plugged in, not charging. That number will be anywhere from 95 to 99%. It's worked that way for the entire year I've had the laptop which I use as a desktop replacement.

3 times this last week after the laptop being on for several hours, I'll notice that the icon will show a considerably lower percentage, but if I click on it, it shows 99% etc as well as if I open the battery settings. If I unplug the laptop , it goes on
    battery power and the icon changes to show the correct % of battery remaining (ie it jumps from 27 to 99 or so). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery (there has not been a new driver since 2006). I have done
    a hard reboot of the laptop. I've tried running the battery down to below 25% and recharging. I've done a reset of the bios.

Not long after my laptop was built, Asus started including a battery utility app on the newer laptops. I have checked with Asus and it is not available for download for older laptops.

Is this something that's a known issue or could it be something caused by the Spring update?

Windows 10 Pro

ASUS ZenBook UX501

Thanks.

BethMans, Aug 10, 2018
  4. curt jugg Win User

New battery not charging

I have an Acer Aspire V3-771 laptop (which is three and a half years old) with its original battery. As the battery is not holding the charge for as long as it used to I decided to replace it. I inserted he new battery, which already showed a charge of 60%, and let it run down to the point when the laptop turned itself off. However, when I tried to recharge the battery, the battery icon showed "6% available, plugged in, not charging". I contacted the supplier of the battery and they sent me a new one. This showed an initial charge of 93% so, in view of my problem with the previous battery, I decided to try and charge it up to full capacity before letting it run down. But as soon as I tried this the battery icon showed "93% available, plugged in, not charging". So I unplugged the charger and again let the battery run down until the computer turned itself off. I plugged the charger in again but then got "6% available, plugged in, not charging". I have no problem charging the old battery, so can anyone please suggest what the problem might be? I have tried taking out the battery and unplugging the charger and holding down the power button for 30 seconds, but this hasn't worked. Grateful for any advice.

curt jugg, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Battery Icon shows drain when plugged in but battery settings shows full charge - Similar Threads - Battery Icon shows

2. My battery charger is showing plugged in but battery is not charging. Why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My battery charger is showing plugged in but battery is not charging. Why?: My charger is plugged in but the battery is not charging https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-battery-charger-is-showing-plugged-in-but/8b984ed2-f3b9-47b2-b39f-cac7215f4aaf
  3. My battery charger is showing plugged in but battery is not charging. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My battery charger is showing plugged in but battery is not charging. Why?: My charger is plugged in but the battery is not charging https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-battery-charger-is-showing-plugged-in-but/8b984ed2-f3b9-47b2-b39f-cac7215f4aaf
  4. My battery charger is showing plugged in but battery is not charging. Why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Battery shows 0% , battery bars show full charge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery shows 0% , battery bars show full charge: Battery indicator shows 0%, battery bars show full, light next to plug is white showing fully charged. Computer dies if unplugged, all the way back to system clock....
  6. Battery shows 0% , battery bars show full charge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery shows 0% , battery bars show full charge: Battery indicator shows 0%, battery bars show full, light next to plug is white showing fully charged. Computer dies if unplugged, all the way back to system clock....
  7. Battery is showing 0% plugged in but shows no signs of charging

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery is showing 0% plugged in but shows no signs of charging: Hi, I have a HP Laptop 15q-bu0xx running Windows 10 with 4 gb ram and an IntelR CeleronR CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz, 1601 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors. Its battery is having issues and it always showes 0% plugged in but does not show any signs of charging and instantly...
  8. Battery will not charge when plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery will not charge when plugged in: My Lenovo ideapad 120S will not charge when plugged in. It is a brand new computer and I think it may be stuck in shipping mode. I have unplugged it held the power button 90 seconds and still will not work. I have also pressed the reset button and that didn't fix it. Does...
  9. Battery draining when plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery draining when plugged in: I have an Alienware R4 17 Laptop. I've been trying to play games on it, but after a few hours, the laptop decides to start draining and charging the battery by small amounts. The laptop then decides to drop my game performance to unplayable levels. My understanding is that...
  10. Battery shows plugged in, not charging

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery shows plugged in, not charging: Hi, I am using Windows 10 on my Laptop. The Laptop is HP Omen. After the last Windows update, the battery icon has been showing that it is plugged in, not charging. Can you help me with this?...