Windows 10: Battery Question

Discus and support Battery Question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recall that in the past, it was good for the battery to let it run down a certain amount, then let it charge up again. Is that still the current... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mr Ed, May 20, 2017.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Battery Question

I recall that in the past, it was good for the battery to let it run down a certain amount, then let it charge up again. Is that still the current train of thought? My Toshiba laptop is used mostly plugged in to the mains. I note that it never charges more than 80%. My guess is that protects the battery. So, whaddaya think?

:)

Mr Ed, May 20, 2017
  2. mgoksoy Win User

Battery question

You are welcome.[/i]

mgoksoy, May 20, 2017
  3. mgoksoy Win User
    Battery question

Don't worry, nothing will happen to your battery because the power cord was pulled out before it was fully charged.[/i]

Obviously, it is good practice for the health and longevity of the battery to charge it when it is fully depleted, and not to interrupt the charge before it is fully charged. However, modern batteries like the one you have in your handset are not damaged
    if you, once in a while, do not or cannot stick with those rules.

In the past, one used to use Nickel Cadmium batteries which had a so called memory effect. If you recharged the gadget when the battery was still half full, then you were left with half of the battery life from then on. This is not the case with the batteries
    we are using today.

mgoksoy, May 20, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Battery Question

Hi Mr. Ed,

That would be normal if you are using the Toshiba Eco Charge Mode option and have it set accordingly:

The TOSHIBA Eco Charge Mode increases the battery life cycles by not charging to full capacity. This mode is recommended for users who most often use the PC with the AC adapter. The battery life per full charge is shorter in this mode. This mode is enabled/disabled through "Battery Manager":
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/v...tentId=4006655

However, to prevent your battery life from shortening prematurely, your owners manual still recommends the following periodic actions:

To ensure that the battery maintains its maximum capacity, operate the computer on battery power at least once a month. The Lithium-Ion battery has no memory effect so it is not necessary to let the battery fully discharge each time. However, for better accuracy of the battery meter, it is helpful to fully discharge the battery periodically. Please see “Maintaining your battery” on page 99 for procedures. If the computer is continuously operated on AC power, either through an AC adaptor or a port replicator (if applicable to your system), for an extended period (more than a month), the battery may fail to retain a charge. This may shorten the life of the battery, and may cause the battery meter to be inaccurate.

You can download your owners manual here for more information:
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...ext=1200005650

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

5. Mr Ed Win User
    Thanks, WOT. You've explained it quite well. I'll follow Toshiba's suggestions, as you've pointed out, and discharge the battery ona monthly basis.

The battery on these new Toshibas is virtually impossible for the average owner to replace. My original Toshiba had a very accessible battery.

Mr Ed, May 20, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    You are quite welcome friend.

7. Yes, sadly that's true....... getting that way on most laptops now too. I can't even change mine without sending it back to the factory! I love my machine don't get me wrong, but I do look back fondly to some of my older ones. Toshiba's especially.

indianacarnie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Battery Question

1. Battery Question - Similar Threads - Battery Question

2. Question about Battery Health Optimizer/Smart Charging!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Battery Health Optimizer/Smart Charging!!: Can i always leave my laptop connected with Battery Health Optimizer//Smart Charging on, or should I discharge it to 50% often during the day? And can I play games with this option or is it better to disable it during gaming sessionbecause if enable is more like gaming on...
  3. Question about Battery Health Optimizer/Smart Charging!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Battery Health Optimizer/Smart Charging!!: Can i always leave my laptop connected with Battery Health Optimizer//Smart Charging on, or should I discharge it to 50% often during the day? And can I play games with this option or is it better to disable it during gaming sessionbecause if enable is more like gaming on...
  4. battery question for Surface Laptop Studio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    battery question for Surface Laptop Studio: Hello, Just purchased a Windows Surface Laptop Studio. For travel, can I use a portable 65W USB-C charger to charge it while away, or will that damage the battery? I think the standard charger that it comes with is 102W. I just want to see if I have to purchase another...
  5. battery question for Surface Laptop Studio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    battery question for Surface Laptop Studio: Hello, Just purchased a Windows Surface Laptop Studio. For travel, can I use a portable 65W USB-C charger to charge it while away, or will that damage the battery? I think the standard charger that it comes with is 102W. I just want to see if I have to purchase another...
  6. Laptop Battery Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Battery Question: With the Newer Bios Update on my HP Omen 15_ce019dx, finally turned on battery care--80 percent, well in Windows shows 79 percent available? Should i re calibrate battery? or is that normal, and nothing to worry on. 183544
  7. Battery backup surge protector question

in Windows 10 Support
    Battery backup surge protector question: Just in case if the power outage, can i use battery backup surge protector? So that I can use my computer if the power outage 181803
  8. Battery and Power Question for laptops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Battery and Power Question for laptops: If I were to set the "when I close the lid" setting to do nothing, but set the "Hibernate after this amount of time" to 10 min. Will the computer hibernate after the 10 min if I shut the lid? Or will it continue to run? Basically I want to be able to shut the lid but if I...
  9. HP 255 G7 Laptop: Optional Update for Battery from Microsoft Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP 255 G7 Laptop: Optional Update for Battery from Microsoft Question: I have been reading online that there is an optional update for business laptops made by HP (Hewlett-Packard) coming soon for the battery that may cause the batteries to swell. It is an optional update and doesn't require a restart. The update changes a setting for the...
  10. xbox battery question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    xbox battery question: I've recently installed a bluetooth dongle on my pc to connect my xbox one controller and I was wondering if windows warn me when the battery goes low submitted by /u/brownieinutil [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2xlfb/xbox_battery_question/