Windows 10: Battery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did

Discus and support Battery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an Alienware 14 and I have been having a problem with charging. My problem is that when I am charging my laptop, it reaches roughly 65% charge,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Xavi, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Xavi Win User

Battery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did

I have an Alienware 14 and I have been having a problem with charging.
    My problem is that when I am charging my laptop, it reaches roughly 65% charge, then immediately goes to 100%. When I unplug my charger, it goes back down to 65%. I have desktop battery mode disabled, and it hasn't changed anything.
    Any solutions?

:)

2. Power Issues

My laptop won't stay powered on unless it's charger is plugged into a power outlet, even though the battery is 100% charged. If I unplug it, the screen goes black and I can't turn it back on by pressing the power button. The power icon on my screen says
    that "No battery is detected." Can someone please help me? Please and thank you!

Mildred555, Aug 10, 2017
  3. progri Win User
    lumia 820 battery indicator problems

I have some problems with the battery indicator. Sometimes it freezes at random percentages. Ex: i charged my phone; the battery indicator shows 100% and it remains at 100% even though i use the phone for many hours. I know the battery is not full and
    the indicator changes only when the battery reaches critically low level. Some other times it freezes at 77 or so. Ex2: during charging the indicator shows actual battery level(let's say 25%). But if i try listening some music, the indicator goes instantly
    to 100%.

i find these software problems a little bit annoying.

progri, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Barman58 Win User

The Sm@rtA$$ suggestion would be to replace the battery *Wink and to be totally honest that is the only surefire solution, Batteries have a usage life as well as a shelf life (which can mean that if a battery is stocked for a long time before first use you could already be part way down the road to failure.

There are methods to condition some older types of battery (NiCad), which tends to build up a charge memory if the users charges the battery too much - Ni-Cad batteries should be allowed to run down to almost no charge regularly to prevent this and following a similar but exaggerated system can work to reverse the issue -

Ni-Cad Conditioning

• Fully charge the battery
    • Leave the device running at a high load, [Playing Video / music / encoding a video, (that you can afford to lose], after you switch off all battery saving options so that you can actually get to a situation that the battery gets so low that the device shuts down - leave for half an hour and try again as sometime the battery can "regain" access to more power reserve
    • Fully Charge the battery
    • Repeat This several times and also perform this action Once at least once a month

NImH batteries are supposedly immune to these issues but it can sometimes happen and the above routine may help but is just as likely to not do anything

The basic issue here is that a battery is a chemical reaction based device and the chemical reaction is reversible, (charging) only a set number of times ( you will often see very small print on rechargeable batteries stating an approximate number of charge cycles possible), the problem is that switching the device on when plugged into the mains supply is treated by the battery as a charge cycle. Some laptops will allow you to remove the battery and use it as a normal mains device - some will not - if you have to have the battery in place to use the laptop then don't plug it in if you can as this will actually improve overall battery life, both per charge and over the full life of the battery

Barman58, Aug 10, 2017
  5. NorfolkIT Win User
    right click on command prompt, run as administrator then run the following command,

First command cd %userprofile%\Desktop

Second Command;

powercfg -energy

This will generate a report and tell us more information, upload the report so we can let you know what the best solution's is off what you have told us I would suggest ordering a new battery for the computer.

over time like most hardware needs replacing.

Kind Regards

Bradley

NorfolkIT, Aug 10, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Battery meter may be confused and needs re-calibrating. The jump 65%-100%-65% sounds like it may.

Same thing happens with phone batteries and calibration. That procedure is similar, but doesn't apply here.

Here's a guide to re-calibration for lappy batteries that may give you a little more insight and some tips and procedures. Lot was already posted above, just a different twist and some extras. Give a look, if you wish.

How To Calibrate Battery on Windows Laptops - Windows - Laptop Tech Support

f14tomcat, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Xavi Win User
    ​Here's the results.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name DESKTOP-N5FFPNT Scan Time 2017-08-11T10:04:08Z Scan Duration 60 seconds System Manufacturer Alienware System Product Name Alienware 14 BIOS Date 04/23/2014 BIOS Version A09 OS Build 14393 Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile Plugged In true Process Count 108 Thread Count 2031 Report GUID {a4cb3f20-6b1c-4878-8633-58fb4dd7b34d} Analysis Results

Errors

Power PolicyBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :power Plan Personality is High Performance (On Battery)
    The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is on battery power.

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (On Battery)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

Power PolicyBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :pCI Express ASPM is disabled (On Battery)
    The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.

Power PolicyBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :power Plan Personality is High Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is plugged in.

Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In)
    The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity.

Power PolicyBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :pCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
    This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
    Device Name USB Root Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_8C26 Port Path

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
    Device Name Generic USB Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_8000 Port Path 1

Device Name Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth 4.0 Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_0CF3&PID_3004 Port Path 1,5

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
    PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Device Drivers:
    Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption.
    Device Name Bluetooth LE Device Device ID BTHLE\DEV_C747CC353546\8&250E0AD4&0&C747CC353546 Device Status 0x1802400 Device Problem Code 0xa

Device Drivers:
    Device Name Bluetooth LE Device Device ID BTHLE\DEV_C747CC333546\8&250E0AD4&0&C747CC333546 Device Status 0x1802400 Device Problem Code 0xa

Device Drivers:
    Device Name Unknown Device Device ID ACPI\SMO8810\1 Device Status 0x1802400 Device Problem Code 0x1c

Device Drivers:
    Device Name Bluetooth LE Device Device ID BTHLE\DEV_C747CC343546\8&250E0AD4&0&C747CC343546 Device Status 0x1802400 Device Problem Code 0xa

Warnings

Power Policy*Biggrinim timeout is long (On Battery)
    The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 5 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 585

Power Policy*Biggrinim timeout is long (Plugged In)
    The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 10 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 885

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is long (Plugged In)
    The computer is configured to automatically sleep after longer than 30 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 3600

CPU UtilizationBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :processor utilization is moderate
    The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 2.78

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name MsMpEng.exe PID 372 Average Utilization (%) 0.65 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume4\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\{B350067D-D0F1-4D07-994B-621A5ECC2E8C}\mpengine.dll 0.35 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.14 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.07

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name svchost.exe PID 104 Average Utilization (%) 0.59 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.35 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NTFS.sys 0.11 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\FLTMGR.SYS 0.05

Process Name System PID 4 Average Utilization (%) 0.28 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.11 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\athw8x.sys 0.11 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\FLTMGR.SYS 0.00

Information

Platform Timer ResolutionBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156253

Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM High Performance Plan GUID {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

Power PolicyBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :power Plan Personality (On Battery)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
    Personality High Performance

Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality

Power PolicyBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality High Performance

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality

System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID 41167SANYOPABAS0241231 Manufacturer SANYO Serial Number 41167 Chemistry Li-I Long Term 1 Sealed 0 Design Capacity 57720 Last Full Charge 57720

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false S2 Sleep Supported false S3 Sleep Supported true S4 Sleep Supported true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support
    Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.
    Connected Standby Supported false

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
    This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0 Index 0 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesBattery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did :processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0 Index 1 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 2 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 3 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 4 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 5 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 6 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Group 0 Index 7 Idle State Count 2 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2401 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 33 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

8. Try3 Win User

"Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 57720
    "

Unless this battery is brand-new then the powercfg report is producing false data. I have never seen this before. How old is this battery?

Denis

Try3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Battery won't charge to 100%, even though it says it did - Similar Threads - Battery won't charge

2. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%: Hello! I had bought my laptop a little over 2 years ago. I had been playing a game on it and it shut off in the middle of it. After tinkering with it, it will not turn on or display the light on the power key unless it is plugged in. I made sure it was at full charge and the...
  3. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%: Hello! I had bought my laptop a little over 2 years ago. I had been playing a game on it and it shut off in the middle of it. After tinkering with it, it will not turn on or display the light on the power key unless it is plugged in. I made sure it was at full charge and the...
  4. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...: on my windows 11, the charging light keeps showing red, even though i had this problem a 5 weeks ago, last week on a day it showed blue, then it is back to red even though its fully charged. The charging is still working but what is wrong with my laptop? Here is what it...
  6. the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...: on my windows 11, the charging light keeps showing red, even though i had this problem a 5 weeks ago, last week on a day it showed blue, then it is back to red even though its fully charged. The charging is still working but what is wrong with my laptop? Here is what it...
  7. Computer Says Battery is Low and Locks Itself, Even Though It's Fully Charged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Says Battery is Low and Locks Itself, Even Though It's Fully Charged: I was playing a game when my computer suddenly showed a blue screen saying "Your battery is running Low. You might want to plug in your PC." It's then followed by, "Locking..." not even a second later. I found it strange and decided to check if my charger was plugged in...
  8. Battery won't charge up to 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery won't charge up to 100%: Hello, my name is Shaikh Hosain. I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 laptop. My laptop won't charge up to 100% it will stop at 99%. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-wont-charge-up-to-100/837b093a-6055-4438-899e-4b13f5ab2b42
  9. Battery Low even though it’s on 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery Low even though it’s on 100%: Whenever I turn my laptop on it says “battery low” I unplugged it even though it’s at 100%. It also is opening apps slowly and loading things slowly. When I click the windows key, it loads slowly. How do I fix this?? Is there something wrong with my battery? Is there any...
  10. Says it's charging even though it's not plugged in.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Says it's charging even though it's not plugged in.: My Windows 10 tablet is saying that it's plugged in, even though it is not plugged in. The battery icon is animated as though it is plugged in and charging, but the tablet is not plugged in. The problem this is causing is that it is changing the tablets performance. I've...