Windows 10: BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP

Discus and support BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I bumped up to build 10074 I had some issues (clean install) that ended up with me aborting and starting over. The second attempt worked fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SmartGuyDumbPC, May 25, 2015.

1. BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP

When I bumped up to build 10074 I had some issues (clean install) that ended up with me aborting and starting over. The second attempt worked fine except for one strange anomaly in which I ended up in a dual boot situation (both OS choices were Win10.10074 but the second 'choice' wouldn't ever boot). Doing some drive housekeeping last night, I discovered what I thought was the problem and "fixed" it by deleting the boot files (all of them) from the external drive I use for music (no clue how they ended up there, but thought, oh, we'll there's the bad install!) so...I dropped to CMD adjusted attribs and deleted the pesky little suckers--thinking they were what the system was interpreting as the second install. This wasn't the case. Rebooting now ends in the dreaded "No OS found" loop.

The files were all deleted via $Recycle.bin and are still in place (I've not done any file creation on that drive since). Trouble is they've all been renamed (i.e., boot.ini is now something like $x23746.ini). I've used a Linux dist (Mint) from DVD to explore the files, but cannot do a 'simple' Restore from the Recycle Bin via Linux).

Before I do a clean install of Win10.100xx, is there anything else I can do to 'restore' those files? I've tried various options (Win10 DVD 'Repair' options, Paragon15 BootCorrect Options and a few others found on the latest Hires "Emergency" DVD--all to no avail.)

Via Linux-Mint, I've backed up all critical data from my main (C*Smile drive so to NOT re-install is really more a convenience thing at this point (would rather not spend the day reinstalling software--everything from Nero, Photoshop, Office etc)).

:)

SmartGuyDumbPC, May 25, 2015

2. I do not find the boot.ini file. Where can I find it?

Hi Kamel,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, I like to know; are you getting any error related to boot.ini files on your system?

As per your query, I like to inform you that; boot.ini files was available in the earlier versions of Windows, boot.ini was a system file that contained information about the Windows operating systems installed on a computer.

On Windows 10 the boot.ini file has been replaced with Boot Configuration Data (BCD). This file is more versatile than boot.ini, and it can apply to computer platforms that use means other than basic input/output system (BIOS) to start the computer.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 25, 2015
  3. Stuck in Safe Mode on Windows 10

I tried that either. Even Command Prompt asks to Select the User to Access
    first. My bad I forgot the password coz I always used PIN to login. I think I can run Ubuntu Live CD and backup my data and then reinstall Windows. Or is there any work around by editing Boot.ini or BCD from Live Ubuntu to turn off safe
    mode?

AneeshBhat, May 25, 2015
  4. BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP

Sorry I don't have a solution ... but wanted to let you know, you're not alone in this problem!

I had the current build install failed, so I (too) ran it a second time, and it succeeded.

But when I rebooted to use it, my shared "data drive" had been reformatted and NOW contained boot files! Fortunately, I have a variety of data recovery apps available (and another PC to run them on) and was, after a couple of days of very tedious scanning and recovering, able to get the files back.

But, there is definitely a problem in this recent build that trashes other "drives".

Mark Phelps, May 25, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Boot.ini is used in Windows XP and earlier Version of Windows. However, when you install Windows 10 you had the external HD connected and was marked as active so Windows 10 installation modified this file and re-direct to the Boot Manager.
    More info on this: Where is the boot ini file? Heres how to find the boot ini in Windows 8

You can try the steps below to see if you can repair the Boot Manager:

If the steps above does not work and since you cannot boot into Windows to restore from RECYCLE.BIN and I am not sure that you can restore them by connecting the external drive to another PC since these deleted files are under some SID for each user. So yes, you can use Linux to explore it and copy all the files that you've deleted to another drive/USB and rename them accordingly and put them back where they were.

The worst case is you have to re-install Windows but:
    • Make sure the drive that you intend to use for Windows OS is connected to the first port on your MB
    • Make sure that the first boot device is first on the list of boot priority
    • Disconnect all other drives (Internal/USB)

Hope this helps and good luck.

topgundcp, May 25, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    That should work. That's the exact same procedure I do whenever I have boot issues on any windows OS. *Smile

Edit: I was told to spread rep around.. *Smile

badrobot, May 25, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    I know that you are using Macrium to backup your OS. So for you it's easy, just restore the Boot partitions (uncheck the Windows OS) and you should be back in business
    That is quite alright. The thought that counts *Wink

BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP [​IMG]

topgundcp, May 25, 2015
  8. BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP

Code: bcdboot C:\Windows[/quote] That from an elevated command prompt should recreate your boot files for the C: drive.

cyberrufus, May 25, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    Noted. Thank you.

badrobot, May 25, 2015
  10. Thanks guys--I had already tried the Macrium solution as well as the BCDBOOT command. What I ended up doing that finally worked was to use the files created by the BDCDOOT command as a 'template' on renaming the files I had copied via Linux, the moved them back to where they were in the first place. Crossed my fingers and rebooted using the "restoration" version of the files. It didn't work from a 'standard boot,' BUT at that point I was able to use the Win10 Advanced Startup/Fix Boot problems successfully.

Once I was back up and running, I made another set of backups and did a clean install using the pointers above (disconnected all other drives--both internal and external), did a complete format of the remaining HDD and voila--everything is up and running with no oddball files anywhere they're not wanted or expected!

Thanks again!

SmartGuyDumbPC, May 25, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Very good. Glad we could help.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP

1. BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP - Similar Threads - BCD boot ini

2. Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL: Windows 10 BCD BOOT INSTALL for 0xc000000225,0xc0000001. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-bcd-boot-install/7f2e0bed-cffb-4551-901e-28da8231ea63
  3. Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL: Windows 10 BCD BOOT INSTALL for 0xc000000225,0xc0000001. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-bcd-boot-install/7f2e0bed-cffb-4551-901e-28da8231ea63
  4. EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD: Hello Everyone.I was trying to boot into Windows 10 via USB, but I keep getting this error:Windows Boot Manager Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your...
  5. EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD: Hello Everyone.I was trying to boot into Windows 10 via USB, but I keep getting this error:Windows Boot Manager Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your...
  6. EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Easy BCD boot assistance

Easy BCD boot assistance: HP G6 i3 usb2.0 laptop. Came with Win 7 Home on a 5400rpm HD. Got USB 3.0 10 port powered hub. Installed new Samsung SSD with Win 10 on 1st of three partitions. Win 8.1 and Linux on other partitions. Works Fine. Need to boot to external 5400rpm HD via USB to run work related...
  8. Easy BCD boot assistance

Easy BCD boot assistance: HP G6 i3 usb2.0 laptop. Came with Win 7 Home on a 5400rpm HD. Got USB 3.0 10 port powered hub. Installed new Samsung SSD with Win 10 on 1st of three partitions. Win 8.1 and Linux on other partitions. Works Fine. Need to boot to external 5400rpm HD via USB to run work related...
  9. (Help) booted macrium reflect to rebuild bcd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (Help) booted macrium reflect to rebuild bcd.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jiberesh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gjcbkc/help_booted_macrium_reflect_to_rebuild_bcd/
  10. boot BCD 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot BCD 0xc0000034: ช่วยทีครับคอมขึ้น boot BCD 0xc0000034 แล้วพอเปิดไว้สักพักเครื่องรีสต๊าทตลอดเลย แล้วก็ปิดเครื่องไม่ได้ ปิดปุ๊ปก็เปิดใหม่ตลอดต้องถอดปลั๊กอย่างเดียว https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-bcd-0xc0000034/f8ad963c-967b-4462-b369-f966c84c60b8