Windows 10: Be careful about Win 10 Restore Point.

Discus and support Be careful about Win 10 Restore Point. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After I clean installed Win 10, and then installed many programs that I normally use. And when the computer worked just the way I wanted - I decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Learner99, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Learner99 Win User

Be careful about Win 10 Restore Point.

After I clean installed Win 10, and then installed many programs that I normally use. And when the computer worked just the way I wanted - I decided to set the Restore Point right then.
    ----------------------
    Then I started (doing foolish things) fixing problems trying to get Win 10 and Win XP computers to be able to talk to one another and use one another's printers. Changed settings here and there and Services section on Win 10. Before I knew it, the computer became so slow - I could click a mouse and waited forever to see its response (next screen), the computer became unusable.

I thought I was safe, just use the Restore Point to get back to where when the computer was working great.
    To my surprise, it took a long long time and ended up with a screen with nothing but an Icon of Recycle Bin on the top left corner - all my installed programs were gone and still is a mighty slow computer.

I had to do another clean install and then installed all the programs I normally use again. Cost me lots of time.

This Windows 10 Restore Point just doesn't do what I thought it would do - return to the day when everything was working fine and computer was fast. (At least that was what happened to me.)

:)

Learner99, Aug 17, 2015

2. about a care point

I need a suggestion about complaining or not to complain about a care point in our city (Amritsar, punjab, India). I just came out of from that care point. I asked them to update my lumia 640 xl. They answered me that there is no update available for my
    phone. They also told me that they don't have a wifi connection. There is a trial version of windows 10 available for my phone, they told me. What can i do now? Can i think that the employees are not good in that care point? Or there is any problem with my
    phone? Before going there, i also called to call centre of Microsoft.

sukhrajsidhu, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Be careful with Win 10 install solutions...

So I was getting update error 80240020 every time MS tried to send the Win10 enable update...

Looked around on the Internet (including here), found the solution of deleting the contents of the windows/softwaredistribution/downloads folder... Gave it a try.

Now the hidden $Windows.~BT folder that had 4 Gb of Windows 10 files just waiting to be unleashed has somehow shriveled to 140 Mb. So, kind of a big step backwards there.

DaveMillwater, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Geneo Win User

It is not a substitute for a good backup, that is for sure.

Geneo, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Learner99 Win User
    =================
    Thanks. I did do the Backup and set the "Restore Point" in the same evening.
    After the compute ran into problems and became unusable, I chose to use the Restore Point. I have no idea if I invoked "Backup" it would make my computer as fast as before and get all my files back. I doubt it.

If I had done a bootable image of my hard disk (about 5 DVD disks, not too many files on the hard disk at the time), then that should help.
    (Then again, I have never done that before - making a bootable image of my hard disk on DVDs.)

Learner99, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Learner99 Win User
    In the Win XP era, I could set the "Restore Point", and if later the computer got into trouble, I could use that Restore Point to get the computer to return to the exactly same condition when the Restore Point was set.

Not in Windows 10. Windows 10's "Restore Point" is a joke at this moment. (Hope Microsoft will fix this.)

Learner99, Aug 17, 2015
  7. I had the opposite effect with System Restore. I had to use it three times this past week because I ended up messing something up, but learned my lesson, and won't be playing around with system settings anymore (at least with things I really don't know much about). I would create a restore point then play around with settings and such. One of the times it was good for three days, but then the computer would become unstable to the point I could not undo what I did, so I restored back to the last point I made. All three times when I received the "System Restore completed successfully...." box after reboot I had all my stuff right where I left them as if I never proceeded after creating the point in the first place from theme settings to desktop icons/folders. Sorry to hear your bad luck, but System Restore saved me three times so far. I hope you figure out what made it not work correctly for you.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 17, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

System Restore Point was never a reliable source of backup, taken up disk space, often corrupted and also a resource hog. Your best bet is to create a backup image using either: AOMEI Backupper Or Macrium Reflect Free to an external HD, not to CD/DVD. The process only takes few minutes to backup/restore. In addition, it is advisable to separate the Windows OS and personal Data so you won't lose any data in case you have to restore Windows.

topgundcp, Aug 17, 2015
  9. CountMike New Member
    Restore point was never intended to be a backup, it doesn't backup personal files etc. There are other options for backup, you can change system just so much for it to work. Win 10 is no exception.

CountMike, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Very true. I only use restore as a fail safe for bad updates, or if I tweak a system setting, and it goes bad. I do back up my files to an external source. When I restore I really only look for it to undo the bad thing I did or Microsoft did.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 17, 2015
  11. Geneo Win User
    If you want to restore your system, you need to make an image backup of your disk, You can do this with macrium reflect free edition.

Geneo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Be careful about Win 10 Restore Point. - Similar Threads - careful Restore Point

2. about restore point and drivers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    about restore point and drivers.: i've deleted a certain driver from C:\Windows\System32\drivers through cmd in safe mode, and after that audio stopped working. no audio devices founddeleted driver name: voxaldriverx64.systhe reason i got rid of it because it was causing me BSOD several times.if i go back to...
  3. about restore point and drivers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    about restore point and drivers.: i've deleted a certain driver from C:\Windows\System32\drivers through cmd in safe mode, and after that audio stopped working. no audio devices founddeleted driver name: voxaldriverx64.systhe reason i got rid of it because it was causing me BSOD several times.if i go back to...
  4. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  5. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  6. Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating: hi guys, I noticed that my restore points keep fluctuating, for example i set max size to 2GB, and at any given point in time i check them, they will range from 20mb up to the max range, which could be OK. But without installing many things, i understand when you do a major...
  7. Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Restore Points keep fluctuating: hi guys, I noticed that my restore points keep fluctuating, for example i set max size to 2GB, and at any given point in time i check them, they will range from 20mb up to the max range, which could be OK. But without installing many things, i understand when you do a major...
  8. Restore Points Win 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points Win 10 Pro.: My fairly high spec PC was updated to Win 10 Pro last Fe and has performed really well. However a few days ago it started running slowly and lagging/freezing quite badly. It seemed to follow a Windows 10 update so I rolled back to the middle of Dec around about 20th which...
  9. About Restore Point:

About Restore Point:: I have a serious question about restore point. When you create a restore point, and if you reset your PC with the restore point you created, will it still be on your PC? Even you reset in a factory way? Tell me your answers. I am just curious....
  10. about restore point

about restore point: I have been trying to update a silhouette studio program, then windows defender blocked it and even removed the program, then I tried to create a restore point and even then windows defender is not allowing restore point. therefore how could I resolve this issue, if any one...