Windows 10: Been Having Problems with Hosts File any help

Discus and support Been Having Problems with Hosts File any help in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am Trying to add some sites to hosts file and It wont let me edit it , I cant delete it I have tried disabling DNS client disabling other things... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ethelwulf, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Ethelwulf Win User

Been Having Problems with Hosts File any help

I am Trying to add some sites to hosts file and It wont let me edit it , I cant delete it

I have tried disabling DNS client disabling other things and still no Luck

Opened notepad in cmd , took ownership and nothing is working and yes uncheck read only

can any one tell me what I missed ? and any recommendations on a good Hosts File

thank you

:)

Ethelwulf, Sep 21, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 21, 2016
  3. dukbaeson Win User
    Problems With Editing Hosts File

Hi I'm an administrator on my computer, however for some reason I am unable to edit my hosts file. I have tried everything there is to try. For example, I have run notepad as administrator opened hosts file, edited host file, then copied it to my desktop,
    then tried to replace the hosts file but access was denied. I have also tried unsetting the etc file from read only to not read only but even then i don't have permission. Can somebody please tell me why it says I have no access but when I go to my settings
    and user info it says I'm an administrator

dukbaeson, Sep 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi try
    BlueLife Hosts Editor vl.2
    Simplify Your Pc Usage

This makes it easy. Free. Some interesting tools on that site.

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    You need to run NotePad as Administrator.

Afterwards, if you restart the PC and open the Hosts file again, Windows Defender will probably give a 'SettingsModifier:Win32/PossibleHostsFileHijack' alert in Action Centre. In which case, you may need to 'allow' it in Windows Defender.

ARC1020, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    If you open an administrator command prompt, then edit the hosts file with notepad from that prompt, you should be fine. Notepad will start as administrator from an administrator cmd prompt.

Mystere, Sep 22, 2016
  7. Ethelwulf Win User
    I know that Website very well I Love there Registry key jumper

You are Right I got that message but through Malwarebytes

Ethelwulf, Sep 22, 2016
  8. Ethelwulf Win User

I tried that it still did not work

But after rebooting it worked I dont get it But now its working

Thanks Guys for all your help

Ethelwulf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Been Having Problems with Hosts File any help - Similar Threads - Been Having Problems

2. i been having a problem with a virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i been having a problem with a virus: my windows defender as been juping me with a trojan alert with this name and similar C:\Users\hersz\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Files\S0\3\Attachments\Swiftcopy.pdf[1423].html 2 times now i would like to know what is...
  3. Hosts file problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hosts file problem: Hello everyone, so im trying to open something on my computer and everytime it tells me that it could not find the hosts file even though i have it. Can someone please help!...
  4. I have a problem and any help would be appreciated.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have a problem and any help would be appreciated.: Hello, i have been noticing some strange flickering and visual glitches in most games that i play and even youtube videos, i will be posting a link to a minecraft video where it is quite clear what's glitching. I have tried multiple monitors, and also the integrated graphics...
  5. HOST File help

HOST File help: I'm basically ignorant about Host file. Mine was recently corrupted or wiped. I read it needs the gateway, ip etc. to get the internet going without lag or issue. Is there a fast way or software , program that corrects the issues with this, or what information do i need...
  6. Help, i have been having problems with my keyboard recently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help, i have been having problems with my keyboard recently: I can't seem to use the letter r or the semicolon, I also cant press backspace, I've had to resort to copy-pasting the letter r and highlighting the word I want to delete. This all started when I was playing Roblox phantom forces. This is a very annoying problem and I need...
  7. Domain host file problem

Domain host file problem: Why does this simple Domain Host File not work!?! I only added 6 lines at the bottom so my browser goes to my router instead of the real website. All of these work EXCEPT for the last one. When I type homenas.com, it takes me to a weird site. Why? Please tell me why I am...
  8. Domain host file problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Domain host file problem: I'm wondering why my domain host file doesn't work with one of the lines I added. I recently read that you can change a file called the Domain Host File and the computer instead of listening to the DNS server, will go to the IP address that you state. I tried this and it...
  9. I don't have a hosts file

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I don't have a hosts file: I was trying to edit the hosts file and couldn't find it. And I'm sure it's not hidden and I tried a lot. And I even updated Windows and the problem didn't work out. Can anyone help me? Thanks...
  10. Problem with blocking sites with hosts file

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with blocking sites with hosts file: Hi I tried to block some sites in that way but although I cleared DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) ater editing the hosts file, I'm still able to access those sites. Googled about it but seems everything has done Ok and wonder why I can't use this method. I tested on...