Windows 10: Been Struggling To Get Executable Jar's To Open.

Discus and support Been Struggling To Get Executable Jar's To Open. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm on a computer that had some messed up java settings from a past user. Can't open executable jar's by double clicking. Tried so much shit so long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GUI, Aug 21, 2018.

1. GUI
    GUI Win User

Been Struggling To Get Executable Jar's To Open.

I'm on a computer that had some messed up java settings from a past user. Can't open executable jar's by double clicking. Tried so much shit so long ago that i've forgot what I did. I gave up. Now as the months passed by I really need to use this laptop for a running a bot client, which of course uses java to launch.

I completely wiped the instalation folders of java jre/jdk, and just installed JRE (oracle chose x86 installation when I have a 64 bit system, but that shouldn't be a problem right?). I think I have the enviromental variables right now, but I a not completely sure.

Here are User Variables:

JRE_HOME:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181

Path:
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\bin
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\bin

System Variables
    Path:
    C:\Windows\System32
    C:\Windows
    C:\Windows\System32\wbem
    C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuPG\bin
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG\pub

---

So with my first problem, do I have any of the environmental variables set wrong? I know they were before. But Now that I think I have them right I still can't open them by clicking due to the default program being wrong.

I get the message:

---
    How do you want to open this .jar file?

Keep using this app: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-9.0.1\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Other options
    ---

Now when I do click more apps there two "Java(TM) Platform Se Binary"'s. Sweet. Try them both none works. The first one opens a command and dissapears very quickly, and then goes away, the second one does nothing at all. Alright I gotta find a way to change the default program manually...

Alright go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs", and click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". Then click "choose default apps by file type". Scroll down a long list to find ".jar". Wohoo right? nope.

Pops up an error message saying that there is not a default app to open this file type. WELL NO ****ING SHIT. How in the hell do I actually make it to where it can launch with a double click? Sorry for the long post but I have to go in detail about every little thing since it may be needed.

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Aug 21, 2018
  3. .jar files opening in internet explorer

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that .jar files opens in Internet Explorer by default and downloads again on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

1. Right click on the .jar file, select Open with
    and click on Choose another app.

2. Select the app you want to open the .jar file from list.

3. If required, highlight the app and check the option
    Always use this app to open, click OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Been Struggling To Get Executable Jar's To Open.

Executable Jar files

Hi Pankaj,

Perhaps an updated version of the program was released. We suggest reinstalling the program, and check if it helps.

You may also refer to this thread for additional troubleshooting steps to
    resolve the concern. Community members have found it helpful.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Patricia Yu, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

Been Struggling To Get Executable Jar's To Open.

1. Been Struggling To Get Executable Jar's To Open. - Similar Threads - Been Struggling Executable

2. .jar files only execute through CMD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .jar files only execute through CMD: Every once in a while, my pc no longer recognizes a default app for jar files and I have to manually run them. I can open them with the command 'javaw.exe -jar' but they will not open otherwise. I have gone to Task Manager to check the path of the javaw.exe that runs when I...
  3. .jar files only execute through CMD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .jar files only execute through CMD: Every once in a while, my pc no longer recognizes a default app for jar files and I have to manually run them. I can open them with the command 'javaw.exe -jar' but they will not open otherwise. I have gone to Task Manager to check the path of the javaw.exe that runs when I...
  4. .jar "open with" problem

.jar "open with" problem: so im trying to make a minecraft server but a few years ago i made the .jar file always open with the notepad, how can i reset the jar file to open with nothing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-open-with-problem/0fa7c708-d67c-44b4-82b9-843d4750d3e8
  5. .jar "open with" problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .jar "open with" problem: so im trying to make a minecraft server but a few years ago i made the .jar file always open with the notepad, how can i reset the jar file to open with nothing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-open-with-problem/0fa7c708-d67c-44b4-82b9-843d4750d3e8
  6. Can't execute .jar file

Can't execute .jar file: So right now im trying to open a jar file but ive had no success. Ive seen videos for help but noticed that most computers say "executable jar file" instead of my "jar file". Can someone help with how to change it to executable?...
  7. Windows Folder > Executable Jar File

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Folder > Executable Jar File: I was editing some code in a Minecraft mod that ran as a JAR file. To edit the files inside I needed to extract the files, making the mod a windows folder. Now I can't figure out how to 're-compile' the folder into a JAR to run it. I used BreeZip to extract. submitted by...
  8. jar file not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    jar file not opening: why the hell wont my file open? i have tried literally everything [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-file-not-opening/867eeb37-c1d0-4185-9ad9-2f9ae95e531d
  9. .Jar files not opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .Jar files not opening: ive tried everything, jarfix CMD pathing , BAT file, javaw.exe fucking nothing. submitted by /u/jmantechno [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8afe2/jar_files_not_opening/
  10. .jar File is not executed?

.jar File is not executed?: Good day! I was about to run a .jar file using the Windows command prompt (cmd for short. The program is supposed to be a console program. You will find the mistake in the picture. [ATTACH] MfG Tomic .jar File wird nicht ausgeführt?