Windows 10: Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N

Discus and support Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Which version should I pick and why? Does N version cost more? I'm doing a completely fresh install and I'm going to buy the license after the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by godihatems, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N

Which version should I pick and why? Does N version cost more?
    I'm doing a completely fresh install and I'm going to buy the license after the installation.
    Also I don't think a need the Pro version.

Home
    or
    Home N

Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N [​IMG]

:)

godihatems, Dec 9, 2015

2. Which Edition?

have a few qestions about the new windows 10 editions

1. what is N in the home n and pro n? yes I live in America

2. what the difference between

home

home N

home single language

pro

pro N

Breeze Dorling, Dec 9, 2015
  3. ErichJost Win User
    Windows 10 home N license

Hi,

I've installed a windows home N version on a mac over parallels. I bought a windows 10 home license. When I'll activate the home N version with the licence key I get the error 0xc004f050. Is there a difference between the license of windows home and windows
    home N?

Thanks for help.

Regards

Eric

ErichJost, Dec 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N

“N” and “KN” editions of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro are also available and include the same functionality as the standard editions, except that they do not include certain media related technologies (Windows Media Player, Camera, Music, Movies & TV) and does not include the Skype app.

If you have Windows 7 now, why are you going to buy a separate license?

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    You don't really need a Pro version, not to mention Pro version costs more.

As to Windows 10 N version :
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...nd-kn-editions
    Due to a ruling for anti-competitive practices by the European Commission in 2004, Microsoft has been forced to maintain special editions for its Windows operating systems. Labeled "N" for Europe and "KN" for Korea, these editions include all the base features of the operating system but without Windows Media Player and related technologies pre-installed. For the Windows 10 editions, this includes Windows Media Player, Music, Video, Voice Recorder and Skype.
    If you reside in and purchase a PC in a country required to use the N and KN editions, you receive a computer without media technologies. This can cause some headaches, particularly when using apps and visiting web sites that have been coded to utilize the built-in Windows media capabilities. For a full list of excluded features, check out Media feature pack for Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN editions on the Microsoft support site.
    The ruling was about consumer choice. However, if you choose to, you can still install Windows Media Player and related apps anytime for free by downloading and installing a special Media Feature Pack.
    You can find the download for Windows 10 here: Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10

davidhk, Dec 9, 2015
  6. My old laptop's windows certificate sticker is worn off and I already have installed mint on the laptop. That's why don't have license.
    So, should I go with Home N or Home? I don't really care for the extra features that the Pro version offers.

godihatems, Dec 9, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You want the standard Home version. I would purchase a Windows 7 product key because that will be cheaper than Windows 10. During the clean install of Windows 10, skip entering a product key when it asks for one. Then go to the activation screen under settings, change product key, enter the Windows 7 product key and as long as you installed the matching version of Windows 10, it will activate the Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2015
  8. Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N

How big of a deal are these media technologies? I live in Europe, so should I just go with the N version?
    Which version do you have?

godihatems, Dec 9, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Part of my initial reply.......................

If you reside in and purchase a PC in a country required to use the N and KN editions, you receive a computer without media technologies. This can cause some headaches, particularly when using apps and visiting web sites that have been coded to utilize the built-in Windows media capabilities. For a full list of excluded features, check out Media feature pack for Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN editions on the Microsoft support site.
    The ruling was about consumer choice. However, if you choose to, you can still install Windows Media Player and related apps anytime for free by downloading and installing a special Media Feature Pack.
    You can find the download for Windows 10 here: Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10

If you are able to purchase Windows 10 Home in Europe, of course you would want that instead of the N edition.
    I do not know what is the difference in cost of purchase, or if it is relevant to you at all.
    It's really your choice.
    Don't forget that you can always install the Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N edition. The pack is free.

davidhk, Dec 9, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I live in the United States. I have standard editions of Windows 10. I have Pro installed on three computers because I need the capability to remote desktop into them and the other 6 computers have Windows 10 Home.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2015
  11. Ok, thank you. I think I got it now. *Redface

godihatems, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N

1. Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N - Similar Threads - Beginner question difference

2. Pirated Home N to Genuine Home Copy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pirated Home N to Genuine Home Copy: I purchased a computer from a friend. The PC has Windows Home N installed and it appears to be a pirated copy. I have been using the computer and finally purchased a genuine OEM key. I want to remove the pirated copy and install the genuine copy. My question is related to...
  3. what is the difference between Windows 10 Home N and Windows 10 Home

what is the difference between Windows 10 Home N and Windows 10 Home: what is the difference between Windows 10 Home N and Windows 10 Home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-windows-10-home-n/c2854d7c-2291-4f7f-a184-8d54e5959384
  4. Windows 10 Home N

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home N: How do I purchase Windows 10 Home N from Microsoft? I have only seen regular versions of 10 Home offered on the site. I have an non-activated version on my desktop, and from what I seen in threads here, a product key from a regular version of 10 Home will not work....
  5. what is the differance between windows home 64 bit english and windows home

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    what is the differance between windows home 64 bit english and windows home: I have a dell computer 3000 series that has windows home 64 bit and a dell computer 5000 series that has windows home. What's the difference in these two versions....
  6. Is there speed difference between windows 10 home and pro ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there speed difference between windows 10 home and pro ?: I own an hp laptop and here are its specs ,and task manager (if you want to see how much memory is used up with only chrome opened) : https://imgur.com/a/zxHI0ip Currently it's running windows 10 home. The laptop is laggy ,lots of stutters here and there, basic apps and...
  7. Questions about "Windows 10 Home N" and migration to "Windows 10 Home" options

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Questions about "Windows 10 Home N" and migration to "Windows 10 Home" options: I have a laptop purchased in India and right now it runs evaluation version of Windows 10 Home N. The 'N' version was installed by mistake. Now when I try to purchase a product key to activate windows, the Microsoft Store does not show an option to buy. My guess is because...
  8. Settings home screen looks different between computers.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings home screen looks different between computers.: My settings home screen looks different between my Surface Book and a Surface Go that I own. Both are on the same OS Build of Windows 10 Pro. The Book has no Account info or OneDrive and Widows Update icons at the top. The Surface Go does have that information. Aside from...
  9. Excel beginner question

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel beginner question: Hi. I have something I want to do with my Excel, it's a bit more difficult but I split the problem into easier question For example, I like to record my income and expenses from my two different bank accounts, so of course each bank account would have a single spreadsheet to...
  10. Windows 10 Home N

Windows 10 Home N: Hello, 2 months ago i installed windows to my computer, i dont know why, but i choosed Windows 10 Home N. Today i bought a Product Key for Windows 10 Home, and i cant use it. All i want to do is to change my Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 Home, please help me!!!...