Windows 10: Being absolutely tortured by lock screen lock ups...please help!

Discus and support Being absolutely tortured by lock screen lock ups...please help! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ok I've been suffering this issue with Windows 10 for as long as I can remember, and it's stopping me using it as the primary OS. In short I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DannyG13, Jul 12, 2016.

1. DannyG13 Win User

Being absolutely tortured by lock screen lock ups...please help!

Ok I've been suffering this issue with Windows 10 for as long as I can remember, and it's stopping me using it as the primary OS.

In short I have two, intermittent issues which nothing I do seems to resolve.

1: After waking up from sleep and typing my username password and hitting return, the screen goes black. Cursor moves, Windows + P operates (Screen options do appear from the right) but doesn't actually make any difference, and I'm stuck having to hard reset because ctrl alt del doesn't work either. This isn't an every time issue, hence googling seems to fail miserably because all the examples are people getting it every time. This, for me, is a 3 in 10 regularity.

2: Logging a user off occasionally sees the lock screen ... locking up. Ironically. Mouse moves, and power button DOES work but that's all that works.

These issues are plaguing me and I just cannot fix them - endless googling has left me empty handed, and I've tried disabling SLI. No help. I've tried disabling apps. No help. Nothing I do makes any difference and event viewer doesn't seem to reveal anything useful either.

Anyone got any idea how I can resolve this?

System is:

132GB SSD OCZ
    2TB Seagate HDD
    2x980Ti SLI
    32 GB RAM @ 1800 Corsair
    Asus Z97-A
    Windows 10 & Windows 7 dual boot 64.

:)

DannyG13, Jul 12, 2016

2. Lock screen

I am having a problem when I use one of my pictures on my computer to use them as a lock screen picture. Most of the times they are way too large for the screen, and sometimes they are too small for the lock screen. My question being.....is there a resolution
    or size that must be used for the lock screen picture to look correct? If not, is there any other way of making the pictures look like they are supposed to on lock screen? This is driving me absolutely nuts. Please help

elcamino49, Jul 12, 2016
  3. Scott_SM Win User
    Microsoft Lumia 640 - Calendar notifications - Lock screen issue

Where in the settings can I stop/turn off/block calendar notifications appearing whilst my screen is locked. I wish to stop these being viewed when my screen is locked for data security reasons.

Please help.

Thanks.

Scott_SM, Jul 12, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Disable Internal PLL Overvoltage. It should be 'Auto' by default. Choose 'Disable' from the dropdown and disable it.

Attachment 89957

See how it goes. Let us know.

5. DannyG13 Win User
    Thanks for the reply, the solution is beyond obscure! If this solves my issues you're something beyond a genius, sir.

DannyG13, Jul 13, 2016
  6. DannyG13 Win User
    Ok it's done, and the latest cumulative update claims it fixes the exact issue I'm talking about! Need to get it installed though. So hopefully both birds will kill one stone.

DannyG13, Jul 13, 2016
  7. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Not exactly. This little tweak works sometime, and only for ASUS boards.

If it does not, then we have to take a deeper look.

8. DannyG13 Win User

Well I've done it, and updated to the cumulative update as well, which as I say, includes black screen fix apparently. So we shall see if both combined save me!

Thanks again for the reply, if you never hear from me again it worked. If you do hear from me, it might be me being very grateful - or whining again. Cheers either way!

DannyG13, Jul 13, 2016
  9. DannyG13 Win User
    Ok, some interesting developments and I seem to finally be getting to the root of the problem.

It ONLY happens when my other half's account (like mine, a local account and not a Microsoft account) has been logged in - whether she sleeps the system or logs out makes no difference; intermittently, when she finishes on her account, and I hit my password to log in, THAT is when this black screen happens. It does NOT happen at all if her account hasn't been used. I constantly used the system the other day when she wasn't here, didn't touch her account, and there were no issues at all. As soon as she'd logged in once, I noticed a brief black screen before I then logged in successfully, and today the full dreaded black screen sat there looking at me after her account had logged in first.

SECOND: the trusty 'hit space then type in your password' trick DOES work - so my system has definitely not frozen. I left it on black screen for 20 seconds or so, then hit space, retyped my password and this time it got in cleanly to my user account.

Won't lie, I'm a little bewildered but space then password is, for now, a workaround of sorts.

Any ideas fellas? Thanks.

DannyG13, Jul 15, 2016
  10. DannyG13 Win User
    Ok it happened again, only this time it was on her account which doesn't have a password and nothing I did could get off the black screen. I've added a password to her account to try being able to use that method.

Really at a loss here!

DannyG13, Jul 15, 2016
  11. ARC
    Arc Win User
    If you are sure that the issue is a user account specific, then it might be a corrupt account.

Back up her user data, delete her existing account and create a new account for her?

12. DannyG13 Win User
    No, it's not a corrupt account - I've had this with multiple accounts, including historical ones, and it's not specific to one - it's any. It's happened coming into my account, or coming into hers. And both are pretty new accounts.

I did, however, uninstall Malware bytes and so far no similar black screens.

DannyG13, Jul 15, 2016
  13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Malwarebytes apparently should not cause this. But still, as it is sort of favorable till now, let us see. *Smile

14. DannyG13 Win User
    Still happening. At absolute wit's end with this. Nothing I do fixes it. I feel like Windows 10 is fundamentally broken and everything I've tried hasn't worked. Or at least, trying to get to the root of the problem hasn't worked. Two months I've been afflicted with this, and I have to admit it's getting me down.

DannyG13, Jul 16, 2016
  15. DannyG13 Win User
    One point to note - it NEARLY happened earlier, but instead of it going to the black screen and staying there, after I'd inputted password and hit return, it bounced straight back from the black screen to the lock screen again, instead of going into the user account like it should have.

I literally have no idea what could possibly be causing this, I don't even know where to start. I can't tell if it's hardware, software?

One thing I'll say, it didn't happen with the 1611 ( right?) build pre-November, it was only the November one it started happening with, but I only went to November because the store apps weren't fully compatible with 1611.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. I can't even give up because I need the gaming performance Windows 10 gives me, compared to what 7 gives me. If it wasn't for that, I'd have given up with 10 weeks ago.

Thereafter, I got my compatibility, but reliability went to hell.

DannyG13, Jul 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Being absolutely tortured by lock screen lock ups...please help! - Similar Threads - Being absolutely tortured

2. Stuck on lock screen. Please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on lock screen. Please help: I updated my aunt's laptop for her now when we turn it on it says "Your pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your pin." I click on "set up my PIN" then its making me sign into her old Microsoft account which she...
  3. Stuck on lock screen. Please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on lock screen. Please help: I updated my aunt's laptop for her now when we turn it on it says "Your pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your pin." I click on "set up my PIN" then its making me sign into her old Microsoft account which she...
  4. start menu locked please help!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu locked please help!!: when i press the "F7" key after i open the start menu. the menu gets locked and i cant use my mouse to choose anything on the menu. i have no idea how to unlock the start menu other than signing out and back in again. can anyone please help? also, why is this happen only...
  5. Help with Lock Screen PLEASE

Help with Lock Screen PLEASE: My computer (Windows 10 desktop PC) keeps locking the screen and requiring me to type in my password to unlock it after 1 MINUTE of innactivity. I have tried the following with no fix: Changing my theme to default Turning off the screen saver/changing it to 30min Changing...
  6. Please help with locked files

Please help with locked files: Hi, I'm trying to mod a game I got from the windows store but it seems no matter how hard i try I still can't change files. Here's my problem: The files have a lock icon on them. The option that encrypts the files for "security cannot be unticked" also when I uncheck the Read...
  7. Programs locking-up HELP

Programs locking-up HELP: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Lyn_The_2nd [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/epl707/programs_lockingup_help/
  8. Device is locked please help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device is locked please help: Hi , I accidently locked my laptop by going into my Microsoft account and report it stolen, I was playing around in find location of device and accidently pressed lock device, now when I switch laptop on it shows , This device is stolen .... try to log in with my password as...
  9. Lock screen apps not showing up on lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock screen apps not showing up on lock screen: I've tried searching through the forum but can't see anyone who has a similar issue. I can access the lock screen settings and I can see all available apps and have set a detailed status app and a couple of less detailed ones. However, when I actually get to the lock...
  10. Lock up screen issues - hang on lock up

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock up screen issues - hang on lock up: Hi All. I have a new one installed Lenovo T450s with Windows 10 Entreprise. I have joined the machine into a domain without some active GPO. When I'm at home or sitting at a customer and must unlock the screen, it takes a war! It is as if searching for the DNS server...