Windows 10: Best backup and sync tool

Discus and support Best backup and sync tool in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; That was it! It was FAT32. I deleted the old image files x4, and re-formated that USB stick to NTFS, and created a new image on that. Now I have one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Word Man, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Word Man Win User

Best backup and sync tool

Glad it worked out!

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Hoffl Win User

Hey all,

Two goals:

1.) I have a brand new Win10 laptop, haven't installed anything at all yet.
    Want to back it up somehow so I can (quickly and easily) restore to that factory fresh point later.

2.) I want to sync all my files to an external hard drive (and then sync that hdd to another for dual backup). I want it to be a no-brainer, so if I rename or delete files on my laptop, it reflects it in the backup next time I back up.

Is there a great tool that will do both?
    Or need two programs?

I tried SyncToy, which seemed to work great. But it often said it missed a couple files each time, that it couldn't back up some how.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

:)

Hoffl, Apr 28, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Backup of OneDrive Folder

Its not supported by the Backup tools in Windows because they can't see it. You could use Google Backup and Sync to backup some of it.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 28, 2018
  4. Best backup and sync tool

Windows 10 - Backup

Well - the Windows 7 Backup tool is back!! Was really disappointed when it was taken away in Windows 8, but it is back and it is the best backup tool that I have ever used.

patewilliam, Apr 28, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    1) Macrium Reflect Free
    2) FreeFileSync

NavyLCDR, Apr 28, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, Macrium is best for your image/system backups.

*ArrowMacrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

SyncToy is excellent, and native MS. Most likely the files you are seeing "missed" are protected system files, like NTUser.dat. Should be a red message at the top after running it, where you can check that. Edit your sync definitions to omit system files. You would never want to restore them, anyway....just your personal data. The error should go away.

Best backup and sync tool [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 28, 2018
  7. Hoffl Win User
    Great. Thank you. But does SyncToy work for Windows 10? I see a lot of Google search questions for SyncToy alternative for Win10.

Never used Win10 till now, only used SyncToy previously on Win7.

Hoffl, Apr 28, 2018
  8. swarfega Win User

swarfega, Apr 28, 2018
  9. Phone Man Win User
    I use Macrium for my OS and SyncToy for my data and running on W10.
    Years ago I saw posts on missing files and did see a few myself.
    I found that if you use the Preview at the bottom of page and then Run it seams to run fine.

I have two external USB drives (MyBook and Ultra) and backup from my main system to each.

My Backup folder is where I store my Macrium image files for my 3 systems as you can see I backup that folder to the external drives using SyncToy.

Best backup and sync tool [​IMG]

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 29, 2018
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Sorry, @Hoffl - been away for a while. Absolutely works with Win 10! Net is full of search results like that. Most are from other vendors as a way to push their product. You do a plain search on SyncToy or lots of other products, and you'll get results for "Alternatives for __________", just fill in the blanks. My screenshot I posted is from Windows 10 Pro 16299, FCU. And it works on all the flavors of Insider builds, too. It's native MS, it just works.

f14tomcat, Apr 29, 2018
  11. Hoffl Win User
    Great! Thanks a lot.

Hoffl, Apr 29, 2018
  12. Hoffl Win User
    Thanks everyone. Looking to try Macrium Reflect Free. Couple questions:

1. The Macrium videos I watched said you have to connect to internet to (download and) install Reflect to your PC. My new PC is not connected to the internet yet, and I don't want it to be, because I want to capture an image backup before any Microsoft updates (which I assume will happen as soon as I connect to internet...). Is there a way to install and create a bootable system backup without connecting to the internet (to download Reflect or Windows PE thing it seems to require)?

2. If Macrium Reflect is so good and so powerful, how can it be free? I would rather pay for something if I could know for certain it keeps all my data strictly to myself, and never installs a keylogger or "phones home" with my data or something like that. Not trying to be cynical or disrespectful... just very cautious!

Thanks!

Hoffl, Apr 29, 2018
  13. ap1978 Win User

1. You need to download the installer from the net first. Install the software and create the rescue disk (WinPE).

ap1978, Apr 29, 2018
  14. Hoffl Win User
    Thanks! I got it downloaded now. Seems to include the Windows PE thing too... so hopefully will run 'standalone' on my new PC.

Hoffl, Apr 29, 2018
  15. Hoffl Win User
    Hoffl, Apr 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Best backup and sync tool - Similar Threads - Best backup sync

2. Best way to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Best way to backup: Hi, I recently had an issue where my hard drive corrupted and I lost everything. I didnt have a restore point or backup. Now I want to make sure that if this happens again, I have a backup. What is the best way to do this on a regular basis? Would I need a 3rd party...
  3. Best replacement for Instant Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best replacement for Instant Backup: I used to use a program called Instant Backup, a paid program that did everything I wanted. I could schedule daily, weekly, and monthly backups and I managed to use it even on Windows 10 until I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and the program refused to install. I first...
  4. Backup/sync problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup/sync problems: backup and sync never completes the whole backup. do I need to keep computer running for several days to complete backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backupsync-problems/4f49dda3-1abd-477d-a0bb-edbbce4f76b0
  5. Best Windows 10 backup

Best Windows 10 backup: Having spent days trying to restore a system image - with the help of tenforums - I would like recommendations for backups for my Bootcamp drive please. 139239
  6. Best options for syncing Keepass

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best options for syncing Keepass: Recently started using it, but im having a little trouble with it syncing (currently using onedrive). I have the master file on my drive account, but it doesn't seem to sync up quickly. When I make an edit on my PC it takes forever to sync/update on my phone. I have to...
  7. Backup and Sync

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Sync: Backup and sync is not working with the Microsoft photo app. The problem is somewhat random in that it syncs unedited photos, but not the edited versions. (This problem does not go with any of the offered topics)....
  8. Auto backup and sync

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto backup and sync: HI everyone...I'm back again with a question. I have a new 2TB Portable Hard Drive. When I plug the drive into my computer I would like it to automatically synchronise with selected folders on my PC. Windows 10 does have a "backup" option but that appears to only offer...
  9. Best type of sync?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best type of sync?: What type of sync is best if you do not want to purchase a g-sync monitor? is it v-sync, fast-sync, adaptive-sync, something else? 70416
  10. Best backup program?

Best backup program?: What is the most dependable backup program for Windows 10? I need to backup to an external usb encrypted drive. I need to be able to restore both the system and individual files. Thanks. 57447