Windows 10: Best CAT Ethernet Cable For my internet?

Discus and support Best CAT Ethernet Cable For my internet? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I have a at&t u-verse router that is the model NVG589, Motorola My question is: I game on my PC a lot and would like to know,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by logo897, Oct 7, 2016.

1. logo897 Win User

Best CAT Ethernet Cable For my internet?

Hello all,

I have a at&t u-verse router that is the model NVG589, Motorola

My question is:

I game on my PC a lot and would like to know, what is the best CAT cable to get that my internet box can support?

:)

logo897, Oct 7, 2016

2. E-MU 1616M & Windows 10 Anniversary update incompatible

May I suggest the very first thing you should do with your 1616m no matter if it's PCI or PCI-Express...

UPGRADE THE CAT-5 CABLE

I have had so many issues with the original cable between the PCI card and the Microdock and have had to replace them consistently. It uses a shielded but rather standard CAT-5 cable normally used for ethernet connection.

Issues like Microdock not recognized, latency stuttering effect, disconnection, etc. Every CAT-5 cable I have used has eventually become dysfunctional because with age the wires become brittle.

Do yourself, and your audio a favour... GET A GOOD CAT-6 CABLE!

I have a CAT-6 cable, capable of ultra-high bandwidth, where my CAT-5 cable should be and it's the best upgrade possible. Audio quality has improved dramatically, no more connection issues, it's gold plated, the head is shielded, it's thick cable which is
    triple shielded and braided.

If you're in the UK, this is the one I have and I highly recommend it at £17.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-gigabit-ethernet-cable-5-m-10156296-pdt.html

...these have a lifetime guarantee too!

Sherwood Sound, Oct 7, 2016
  3. Ethernet is Limiting download to 10Mbps

It may be caused by the Ethernet cable you are using to connect to the router. It may not be capable of 100 Mbps, especially if it is a long run of over 50 ft. Try a new Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable of the right length to make sure before looking at more complicated
    solutions.

pc-learner, Oct 7, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

The newest version is CAT6 but if making your own be sure to get the correct plugs to use with it. CAT5e is the previous version and CAT5 is older. There are other versions of lower number but really not suitable for much more than phone systems.

Berton, Oct 7, 2016
  5. Nubble Win User
    If you're using GE, you want Cat6. Price differential is minor.

Nubble, Oct 7, 2016
  6. Beaupeep Win User
    Get CAT6 or CAT6a patch cords. You're good for gigabit speeds on your LAN assuming you have a GbE port in your PC.

Beaupeep, Oct 7, 2016
  7. logo897 Win User
    I have an Ethernet port but I don't know if it's gigabyte one, how can I tell?

Thanks

logo897, Oct 8, 2016
  8. logo897 Win User

So a CAT 6 is the fastest? Just making sure

logo897, Oct 8, 2016
  9. logo897 Win User
    I just seen it and it says "Intel(R) 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection" in my device manager

logo897, Oct 8, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    It's not an issue of "fastest". It's an issue of whether or not data can be transmitted across the wire at a rated speed without potential data loss. You can most likely use a CAT5e cable in a gigabit router, so long as the cable is short. But, if you want to be safe you should use a Cat 6 or better cable (there's cat 7 and cat 8, but these are way too expensive for most people and there are no consumer hardware that can fully utilize it anyways), especially if you're going more than a few feet.

Cables are rated for a given speed at a given length, much like RAM is rated at a specific speed. If you try to run you RAM faster, it may work, but you may also have random data loss.

Mystere, Oct 8, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    CAT 6 is rated to handle the highest traffic load, CAT 5e next, then CAT 5 after that: here's a nice explanation with the obligatory kitty-kat picture: What Is The Difference Between Cat 5, Cat 5e, and Cat 6 Cable? The short version is: Buy Cat 6 if you can, 5e if you must, and skip Cat 5 altogether.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 8, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    I use high-quality CAT5 in my home Network but the maximum distance of the longest leg is about 50 Feet and I get Gigabit service IF the Ethernet adapter supports it, my Router and Switch both support it. CAT5 is good to 100 Meters or a bit over 300 Feet, whether one would always get Gigabit that far is questionable.

Berton, Oct 8, 2016
  13. logo897 Win User

Hmm, I understand everyone.

Last question I have though is

I went on the speedtest website and it said my speed is lower on the cat 6 I borrowed from a friend. The speed is fater on a cat 5 (download/upload)

How is this the case?

logo897, Oct 8, 2016
  14. Mystere Win User
    Did you do the test multiple times? Throwing out the fastest and slowest test? If not, then your results will vary. You also need to make sure you're testing from the same server each time as well.

Mystere, Oct 8, 2016
  15. logo897 Win User
    Yes, I tested several times, the results varied but the cat 5 was always better compared to the 6. The server I used was closet to where I live as well.

logo897, Oct 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Best CAT Ethernet Cable For my internet? - Similar Threads - Best CAT Ethernet

2. My ethernet cable is connected but it says "no internet"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My ethernet cable is connected but it says "no internet": Hi, I've had this problem with my pc for a while now, but rebooting it has always fixed it. Today, however, no matter how many times I restart it, I can't connect to the internet through the ethernet cable which I'm sure works. I am not very experienced, so if you need any...
  3. My ethernet cable is connected but it says "no internet"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My ethernet cable is connected but it says "no internet": Hi, I've had this problem with my pc for a while now, but rebooting it has always fixed it. Today, however, no matter how many times I restart it, I can't connect to the internet through the ethernet cable which I'm sure works. I am not very experienced, so if you need any...
  4. My ethernet cable is connected but it says "no internet"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My ethernet cable is connected but it says "no internet"

6. No internet using ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet using ethernet cable: Hey,I have had my internet running for almost a year with no issues, now suddenly i just stops working and i am lost why.My PC doesnt want to connect to internet using the ethernet cable, wifi works fine and has no issues.Its not my cable as i unplugged it from my PC and on...
  7. No internet using ethernet cable

No internet using ethernet cable: Hey,I have had my internet running for almost a year with no issues, now suddenly i just stops working and i am lost why.My PC doesnt want to connect to internet using the ethernet cable, wifi works fine and has no issues.Its not my cable as i unplugged it from my PC and on...
  8. Is this a Genuine Cat 6a Cable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is this a Genuine Cat 6a Cable?: Recently i bought a cat 6a ethernet cable on ebay. But I dont know if its authentic. Below I provide pics and hopefully you guys can tell me if its the real thing. 161972
  9. Ethernet cable plugged in but there is no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet cable plugged in but there is no internet: I logged onto my PC this morning and noticed I had no internet. I used another ethernet cable and they both did not work. I looked up some solutions and tried doing ipconfig/release and /renew but it says “No operation can be performed on Ethernet 2 while it has its media...
  10. Which Ethernet Cable is Best for Multiple Devices in Home?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which Ethernet Cable is Best for Multiple Devices in Home?: I got 5 devices running in my house, sometimes at the same time. Only two (PCs) are connected by cable. The rest are wifi. Which is a better cable type to ensure all devices dont get slowed down.. Cat6 or Cat6a? 143751