Windows 10: Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors

Discus and support Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I hooked up my new-to-me computer the other day. I was super excited because it had 3 ports on the video card, and while I love 2 monitors, 3 would be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by pdso73, Oct 13, 2016.

1. pdso73 Win User

Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors

I hooked up my new-to-me computer the other day. I was super excited because it had 3 ports on the video card, and while I love 2 monitors, 3 would be even better! Well, as it turns out, this version of this video card (AMD Radeon HD 5450 with VGA, DVI & HDMI) will only display 2 monitors, not 3. So, I'm thinking of upgrading the video card. Computer is a Dell OptiPlex 390 with i3-2120 @ 3.3GHz & 6MB RAM. This is for work purposes, not gaming, so it doesn't have to be the biggest & best, just whatever will show 3 monitors. I'm also open to an active adapter of some sort, though I'm not sure it will work based on the research I've done.
    Or...if I buy a second of these video cards, would that work? I saw some stuff on a thread that said if you had 2 identical video cards you could run monitors off each. It looks like there's room on the tower, but I'm not sure there's room on the motherboard. Also not sure how to check.

:)

pdso73, Oct 13, 2016
  2. DLANY Win User

1020 Cracked Screen

What is the best and cheapest way to replace the cracked screen?

DLANY, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Windows BSOD Video TDR Timeout

As I said add a fan! A single piece of electronics in the computer could be too sensitive to even the normal levels of heat. So monitoring the temps may not help. So add more cooling as a test. And a fan in the cheapest easiest way to do it. Blowing directly
    on the motherboard would be best.

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 13, 2016
  4. Dude Win User

The Dell series don't have power supplies to run multiple gpu's, but it could be the cpu doesnt support it either. I'm going from memory, so it may be able to. You could go with an usb grapics adapter to run a third monitor.

Amazon.com: Smart Buy USB Graphics Adapter: Electronics

5. bobkn Win User
    The OptiPlex 390 has a single PCI-E X16 slot, so you're stuck with a single graphics card. (That's not entirely true, but I've never used a PCI-E X1 graphics card.)

I'm not sure whether a card that supports 3 monitors would be supported by the weakfish PSU in the Dell OptiPlex 390 (265W for the minitower). This one is a relatively low-power card:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...02G-P4-3751-KR

It has 3 digital outputs, but the DVI one could be used with a simple (cheap) adapter for VGA if needed.

I think you'd be crazy to waste any significant funds on a machine of this type, though.

bobkn, Oct 14, 2016
  6. I think you need a dongle or something with that. I've only ran 2 monitors when I still had my HD 5450 installed.

RoasterMen, Oct 15, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    If your GPU supports "Eyefinity" you can run 3 monitors.

CountMike, Oct 15, 2016
  8. Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors

The ATi Radeon HD 5450 does support Eyefinity.

RoasterMen, Oct 16, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Than it could be set up thru driver.

CountMike, Oct 16, 2016
  10. Actually this issue is a bit weird.

Whilst the older cards can run 3 monitors in Eyefinity setup, the actual problem is that the cards only support 2 passive displays.

VGA, DVI & HDMI are all passive, if you wanted to take advantage of the third monitor you would need to use the DisplayPort connection in place of one of those.

As for @OP's question, yes getting a second card will allow you to run two more passive displays from it, or 3 if you utilised an active adaptor. A new card can cost you up to $100, whilst a decent adapter could be $50.

Startech usually have some decent ones in supply - DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter with Audio - Active Adapter/Converter | StarTech.com United Kingdom

However you will need to do some checking to make sure it supports your resolution, and other requirements.

Edit - Just for more reading.
    Active vs. Passive Displayport adapters *the truth* - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Windows Sniper, Oct 16, 2016
  11. I'm trying to find an HD 5450 with a DisplayPort but I can't find anything to the internet for the OP. But I believe the GPU supports DP output.

RoasterMen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors - Similar Threads - Best Cheapest Monitors

2. Which is, the best way?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is, the best way?: My omputer is a laptop. Running Windows 10.I've been using notepad. But I'm looking, for something better?There are so many choices. Word, Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad 2, Notepad++I prefer Wordpad because you could click on links. But here's the problemafter I open it I copied...
  3. What is the cheapest way to upgrade Win10 Home to Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the cheapest way to upgrade Win10 Home to Pro?: Pretty much as the title says. I've read that people have purchased Win 7 Pro and used that to upgrade Win 10 Home > Pro. Does anyone know if this still works or is there any alternatives? Edit: I'm running a custom build machine if that is relevant. submitted by...
  4. Which Virus protection is the cheapest/best.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Which Virus protection is the cheapest/best.: Recommended Virus protection, the cheapest/best for Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/which-virus-protection-is-the-cheapestbest/aaf15531-e064-4467-961c-1454d5bd97ee
  5. What is the cheapest way to buy Windows 10?

What is the cheapest way to buy Windows 10?: I'm currently building a new PC and was wondering if there was any better prices than on Microsoft itself for Windows 10 Home, or Pro that I could potentially buy. submitted by /u/ignVituline [link] [comments]...
  6. What are the best, safest, cheapest ways to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What are the best, safest, cheapest ways to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro?: I want to upgrade to windows10 pro. what are my best safest cheapest options dont want to loose anything I have. * Moved from Bing * Original title: i have a hp desktop windows 7...
  7. best way to contact level 3 support in the USA?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    best way to contact level 3 support in the USA?: What is the best way to contact level support as they are meant to contact us and never do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-contact-level-3-support-in-the-usa/3bd66a48-aacf-4d4d-8c4e-d8382bd68651
  8. The “cheapest” way to buy a laptop

The “cheapest” way to buy a laptop: Last night I had left my MacBook Pro at rest mode, when I woke up it smelled like burning. (I’m in London and I must use adapters to use it). Despite off the smell, I was able to navigate and turn it off without any problem. It smells like burned in the front, on the...
  9. Whats the Cheapest Way to Get Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Whats the Cheapest Way to Get Win 10?: I want to know the cheapest way to get win 10. I read that you can buy a windows 7 key, install win 7 then upgrade to win 10. I also read you can buy a win 10 OEM license for $20 and you get all the updates. But if something stops working you can't get support from...
  10. Best way to set monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to set monitor scaling: I have just bought the Acer Predator xb271hu monitor. It's resolution is much higher than the old one and its higher than my second monitor. I have tried using scaling to increase the text size as its a bit small for me. Unfortunately it changes the scaling on both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cheapest way to extend a display