Windows 10: Best choice for virtualization?

Discus and support Best choice for virtualization? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Former Linux user lured by Windows 10. Love it completely. Need Linux for a few things so I need to virtualize. Have Windows 10 Home (Upgraded from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jmgibson1981, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Best choice for virtualization?

Former Linux user lured by Windows 10. Love it completely. Need Linux for a few things so I need to virtualize. Have Windows 10 Home (Upgraded from Windows 8.1 retail) so I don't have Hyper-V. Virtualbox isn't working quite right for me and I don't know if VMWare is worth the price.

Should I wait it out for Virtualbox to be fully Win10 compatible? Get VMWare either Workstation / or Player Pro? Or just upgrade my Windows to Pro and use Hyper-V.

I need to virtualize a gui distro so whatever is best suited for that, I like seamless mode.

:)

jmgibson1981, Aug 14, 2015

2. what is a best choice

I personally like the reviews on GSMArena.com better. I feel they are quite unbiased compared to some other reviews, plus they mention solid alternatives at the conclusion.

chanchan05, Aug 14, 2015
  3. what is a best choice

Look at phones available in your budget, decide which ones suit your personal needs the best, read plenty of user and professional reviews by searching google, make a choice. It really is that simple.

It's pointless asking a question like this on a support forum where people come to post about problems.

I personally had an N8 for a few months and really liked it and it was trouble free. Recently got an SE Arc and like that more than the N8, apart from the camera which is good but not N8 good. I may get a Nokia WP7 if the updates to windows make it a fully
    featured smartphone OS. I choose my current phone by reading many reviews, here is a good place to start:

The best smartphone 2018: 15 top mobile phones rated | TechRadar

psychomania---01, Aug 14, 2015
  4. PJLLB Win User

Best choice for virtualization?

Have you contacted the activation center to discuss the blocking?

What is the issue you're seeing with Hyper-V? EDIT: just saw your re-edit that you're not running Pro.

PJLLB, Aug 14, 2015
  5. Yes, i tried a few times. After they told me that my key was controlled by Best Buy I gave up. That was a couple weeks ago. Ridiculous as it may be I let them win, I know I would have won in small claims but it wasn't worth the hassle. Easier to just buy a copy. Probably cost me less to.

I edited post to be more accurate and directly to the point.

6. PJLLB Win User
    I guess I would get on Best Buy's case then.

PJLLB, Aug 14, 2015
  7. No you don't understand. They lied to me. They control the keys. The first time the guy told me to bad. The second time they said they could do nothing even when I pointed out that it was false advertising and effectively stealing. The third time after being transferred around they blamed best buy. Best buy doesn't control what is inside of a sealed package they receive from Microsoft. They were BSing me to get rid of me, and it worked because my time is more valuable than debating business ethics with them.

Doesn't matter now anyway. I didn't keep the discs, or the product key since it was worthless. Was a few weeks ago. Now with Windows 10 Home, what is best choice for virtualizing. I need a seamless mode so VMWare, wait for Virtualbox compatiblity, or upgrade my Home to Pro if Hyper-V even has a seamless mode?

8. PJLLB Win User

I'm going to speculate some here. When Best Buy gets the product from Microsoft, in the Microsoft key database they are the holder-of-record for the keys until they sell them. Doing this would prevent stolen products from being activated. But when you buy the inventory item, Best Buy should release the key from Best Buy control (Microsoft told you Best Buy controlled the key) for the given specific inventory item. (Yes, they can track sold inventory items down to the serial number which in this case represents the specific package you bought that has the specific activation key in it. They keep track of the inventory to this level of detail for fraud prevention.)

My speculation might indeed be wrong, but maybe not. When did you buy the product (key and media I presume) from Best Buy? They may not have gotten around to telling Microsoft that they no longer "controlled the key" -- assuming my speculation is correct.

If you haven't checked with Best Buy I would -- it might be worth the $99 it costs to upgrade to Pro. If they plead ignorance (which is probable since it's Best Buy after all) then I would demand a $199 refund for the product since you can't activate it.

PJLLB, Aug 14, 2015
  9. I don't mean to be rude but you clearly can't read or are ignoring the whole point of this thread. If you can't help with the question at hand then stay out of it.

10. PJLLB Win User
    I "clearly" read your posts, but it seems you don't understand mine. Have a nice day.

PJLLB, Aug 14, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    Well, if you only need to virtualize one instance, VMWare has the free VMWare player. If you're going to do a lot of virtualization, then you have a choice. There are free products, like VirtualBox, or if you are thinking about upgrading to a more featureful virtualization it costs about the same to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro as it does to buy VMWare, plus you get the extra Pro features.

Mystere, Aug 14, 2015
  12. DMGrier Win User
    I believe this is the free version

free

I do like it and it works in Windows 10 as I run Kali Linux with no issues.

DMGrier, Aug 15, 2015
  13. Best choice for virtualization?

If you could read then you would know the question was what virtualization solution should I pick. Not "I need help getting my key activated". That and you also missed the part where I said I no longer had either the discs or the key anyway... So no you didn't clearly do anything.

jmgibson1981, Aug 15, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

To get back to the thread

Why not install the FREE version of VMWARE PLAYER --it works very well indeed and will easily run most "Usual" Linux distros as Virtual machines. (You can also run it on HOST Linux machines and have Windows as the VM's if you want).

Note though the latest version of VMware player only runs on 64 bit machines (you can still of course run 32 bit OS'es). If your HOST OS is a 32 bit machine you'll need the PREVIOUS release.

BTW to get the FREE version you need to look as there's a PAID (corporate) version too.

free

I don't think it's worth paying extra for the PRO versions.

Some people on Forums get too easily side-tracked !!! but perhaps it's better next time when asking a Technical rather than a Legal question is to leave out all the "Court" type of stuff -- I'm sure the ONE thing the USA has in abundance is an INEXHAUSTIBLE supply of Lawyers !!!!!!.

Just thought to add --if you decide to run a Windows VM on a HOST Linux machine you'll still need a Windows Licence though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 15, 2015
  15. Thanks much. I'm looking into VMWare Workstation at the moment. Have the trial. Virtualbox seems a bit easier layout but this has many more features. I love it so far. I did some reading on Hyper-V and it seems more server oriented, no seamless mode like I was looking for. I'll probably end up with VMWare.

jmgibson1981, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Best choice for virtualization? - Similar Threads - Best choice virtualization

2. PowerShell choice menu wait for choice to finish

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PowerShell choice menu wait for choice to finish: Hello, I am just getting started with PowerShell and need some advice please. I have a script that has a choice menu to install software. The Installations are started with batch files and ps1 files. If I only select 1 choice it works fine. However if I select 2 the choices...
  3. Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?: Hi there guys, I'm starting to organize my desktop because I want to have it as clean and polished as possible. I wanted to use the multiple Desktop function of W10 but, as far as I tried, it is really poor. I can't setup different desktop icons for each desktop, and I can't...
  4. what is the best choice for threat action

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what is the best choice for threat action: Hello : what is the best action i should take when threat found, it is: 1- remove 2- quarantine 3 allow on device thank you. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-is-the-best-choice-for-threat-action/088f16ea-41ca-4427-93d0-ab705db6e1ae
  5. Moving PC installs - is PCMover my best choice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving PC installs - is PCMover my best choice?: I'm about to get into shuffle-the-PC's in a big way and I was wondering what the most painless method of migrating everything (settings for Windows, settings for Windows apps like Mail, applications, etc) between dissimilar PC's. I'm already moving things I can outright...
  6. Career choices

in Windows 10 Support
    Career choices: I am going to college in a few years and wanted to do pc repairs and/or open my own place. I had a question for you guys who own your own tech repair places/owned your own tech repair places: what education did you have if any? Any comments or info would be helpful. 150033
  7. Choices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Choices: Is anyone else tired of being told I can't do something can't disable quick access in file explorer can't remove Bing can't get Cortana do use Google can't use network sharing any more and the list goes on,] I'm sure you have a few things to add as well Why does it...
  8. ad choice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ad choice: How can I get rid of this? It takes up my screen and makes start up very slow Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ad-choice/38f9182a-6da7-4e55-a17d-07c497f9ee95"
  9. Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive: Hi, I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT). Before the Free Upgrade ends I thought to do a Image of my Win 8.1 Partition, upgrade it and see how it goes. Now, my HDD is 1TB, there are...
  10. Are automatic updates the best of bad choices.?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Are automatic updates the best of bad choices.?: This article talks about forced video driver updates causing significant problems. Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems - Forbes On my wife's Win 7 dual monitor setup an "optional" update caused problems with the setup of one monitor. Reverting to the...